Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orineg

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I did not quite understand you. Decrease in colors or in white balance? What do you mean?

In colors, white are with the same yellow tint. All colors are less strong, as if the dynamic range of the screen is reduced. It can easily be seen in wallpaper colors when comparing to 12.01 or my wife’s iphone 8

Last edited:

dosit

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
In colors, white are with the same yellow tint. All colors are less strong, as if the dynamic range of the screen is reduced. It can easily be seen in wallpaper colors when comparing to 12.01 or my wife’s iphone 8

I noticed it on mine straight away. It’s like the colours look washed out.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
To all struggling with this: get an XR. I just got an XR and the screen is brilliant. Perfect colors, perfect color temp. Text looks terrific. Seriously get the XR.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Sorry to burst that conspiracy theory bubble but unfortunately, if you suffer from yellow tint you have a dud. Return it ASAP if possible. My XS has crystal clear whites to the point that I actually leave TT on to rest my eyes!

Don’t think the XR will help - I have had pretty much every iPhone generation and LCD’s have their fair share of yellow tint duds too.
[doublepost=1541287151][/doublepost]
iPhone XS user here. Here is my story. I came from iPhone 7, got the XS, while setting it up I noticed it had a yellow tint. One of the screens during setup it tells you about True Tone. My first thought was cool okay good at least I can turn that off. I turned it off and was relieved for about ten minutes until after setup and I realized there was still a yellow tint, and it went away when I turned the phone slightly in my hand. Whites looked like they did on my 7 as long as I had the phone tilted slightly in any axis. So I turned to the inter webs and found this thread. I purchased the phone at an ATT retailer. Long story short I was passed back and forth between apple and ATT. Apple said they would try replacing my screen. I wanted a whole new device so I went back to ATT. I made the mistake of mentioning the defective display, so it didn’t matter that I was still in the 14 day return window for ATT. The manager said he wouldn’t take the hit for the damaged device. If I hadn’t mentioned it, I could have just returned the device, and bought another one. So my plan now is to go to apple store and get the display swapped seems to be my only option. Good luck my friends.

Sorry to tell you this but you were lied to. You could have returned your phone to ATT for pretty much any reason as per Apple’s policy. This period is effectively a trial period regardless of your reasons for the return. I’d put this matter in writing if I were you.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
Sorry to burst that conspiracy theory bubble but unfortunately, if you suffer from yellow tint you have a dud. Return it ASAP if possible. My XS has crystal clear whites to the point that I actually leave TT on to rest my eyes!

Don’t think the XR will help - I have had pretty much every iPhone generation and LCD’s have their fair share of yellow tint duds too.

Sorry to tell you this but you were lied to. You could have returned your phone to ATT for pretty much any reason as per Apple’s policy. This period is effectively a trial period regardless of your reasons for the return. I’d put this matter in writing if I were you.

Going to pick up my XS next week. Absolutely will not accept anything but a perfect screen, but how can I properly test it? Is the ‘yellow’ pretty obvious to spot?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Going to pick up my XS next week. Absolutely will not accept anything but a perfect screen, but how can I properly test it? Is the ‘yellow’ pretty obvious to spot?
Turn off True Tone, open settings app and hold next to a display phone on same screen also with True Tone off

Reactions: meteoreos

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018

And your set's factory and production week is?
(not that we know if it really matters, but good to know).
thanks!

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
Turn off True Tone, open settings app and hold next to a display phone on same screen also with True Tone off

Thanks, will do this in store to save me trouble coming back etc.

I really expected better from Apple in terms of quality control (assuming that this problem is hardware related). I just want to walk in, and know that I've got the best quality screen ffs.

Reactions: supermars

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
I purchased an iPhone Xs last Thursday and noticed the yellow tint (True Tone off).

I just went to the Apple store again and compared my iPhone Xs with like a dozen Xs iPhones.

They all had the same yellow tint.

I also compared my Xs with several Xr iPhones.

None of the Xr iPhones had the yellow tint.

Reactions: DanPH77

Serhiy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
I purchased an iPhone Xs last Thursday and noticed the yellow tint (True Tone off).

I just went to the Apple store again and compared my iPhone Xs with like a dozen Xs iPhones.

They all had the same yellow tint.

I also compared my Xs with several Xr iPhones.

None of the Xr iPhones had the yellow tint.

iPhone XR has LCD screen, not OLED like in XS.

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
I think that 'tint' is subjective and can be argued either way - one can say that old phones had pink tint and new phones are perfect. The more important issue is screen uniformity which in my experience is pretty bad.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
Got my XS today and the screen is cooler at the top and pink near the bottom.

Defective screen?

Edit: yeah, it’s too distracting, going to return it for another. Does Apple give a brand new XS in exchange?

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Good luck! Let us know if replacement is better. My experience they all the same in terms of uniformity but I guess thats because I'm got them from the same 'batch'. I'm planning to try couple more times and just postpone the upgrade till next year.
[doublepost=1541464141][/doublepost]
Got my XS today and the screen is cooler at the top and pink near the bottom.

Defective screen?

Edit: yeah, it’s too distracting, going to return it for another. Does Apple give a brand new XS in exchange?

Don't ask them for exchange, just get a new unit and return the old one

Reactions: bevsb2 and madKIR

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Good luck! Let us know if replacement is better. My experience they all the same in terms of uniformity but I guess thats because I'm got them from the same 'batch'. I'm planning to try couple more times and just postpone the upgrade till next year.

In my city, there's only one official Apple Store and based on the 4 or so I've returned, they are all from the same factory (DNP)/week 37-38, bought since the 2nd week of Oct till early Nov. My unscientific observation is that they all have the same colour temperature, some have worse colour shift then others, and they are all very slightly warmer than those stores demos (C38/C39). (And btw, I did receive a C39 week 36 set from Apple online, and it's much more yellow then the rest). At this rate is going, I don't know when will the same batch cycle through to newer builds or different factories.

And the fact that this issue didn't (or haven't made it) to an article worthy on here and some other Apple-news sites made me think are we the only ones having an issue with this "problem" here? and for every one of us, there are probably 9 other customers who didn't notice anything worth disliking or it didn't matter to them.

Levijords

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Scottish Highlands
In my city, there's only one official Apple Store and based on the 4 or so I've returned, they are all from the same factory (DNP)/week 37-38, bought since the 2nd week of Oct till early Nov. My unscientific observation is that they all have the same colour temperature, some have worse colour shift then others, and they are all very slightly warmer than those stores demos (C38/C39). (And btw, I did receive a C39 week 36 set from Apple online, and it's much more yellow then the rest). At this rate is going, I don't know when will the same batch cycle through to newer builds or different factories.

[REPLY=
I have been through 3 iPhone XS Space Grey 64gb all DN serial numbers, all shocking screens. 2 were yellow, one was pink, all were lacking in brightness compared to my wife’s F1 Rose Gold 64gb which she got on launch day and is perfect. Well, the 4th one turned up and is from GO (a new factory in Shanghai supposedly) and is week 40 build. It is absolutely spot on! White as a sheet and really bright. Don’t know if the factory change from DN has anything to do with it but this one is a keeper.

I think all I can add is if your unahappy and the screen is a mess then keep changing until you find one that is worth all that hard earned money.

All the very best,

Lee.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: choocn

palooka23

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
Is there any experience with specific phone colors (gold vs gray vs silver) having different screen temps?

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK

Just got it swapped for a brand new model, and the screen is perfectly uniform. Very pleased.

Reactions: bevsb2

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
So your issue was with tint change across the top and bottom, as opposed to a uniform different temperature?

The issue I had was that the top half of the screen was cooler (blue) and the lower portion was pink (warmer). Now, if the entire screen was uniform in either of these colours (preferably the cooler blue), then I wouldn't have minded it so much. But it quite noticeable, especially against a white background. The tint when you shift the phone to certain angles, is completely normal for OLED screens, according to the Apple guy I spoke to in store.

This screen is uniform (warmer) which I am happy with.

Serhiy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
The issue I had was that the top half of the screen was cooler (blue) and the lower portion was pink (warmer). Now, if the entire screen was uniform in either of these colours (preferably the cooler blue), then I wouldn't have minded it so much. But it quite noticeable, especially against a white background. The tint when you shift the phone to certain angles, is completely normal for OLED screens, according to the Apple guy I spoke to in store.

So, just to be clear, the new iPhone you get now has even colors from top to bottom, but still has warm yellow screen? What is the serial first and 5th letter?

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018

Thanks for the update. Does it feel uniform to you on lower brightness with and without TT and NS? I test it with ScreenTest app (free) and put it on 90% black with lowest brightness setting.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
So, just to be clear, the new iPhone you get now has even colors from top to bottom, but still has warm yellow screen? What is the serial first and 5th letter?

Uniform colour, top to bottom. Actually, after using it for a few hours now with TT off, it’s completely white. I got really lucky with this XS. I never had the yellow screen in either units, just the previous one had a pinkish tone at the bottom of the screen.

My serial is C3 and fifth letter is D. I dunno what relevance that has.

Thanks for the update. Does it feel uniform to you on lower brightness with and without TT and NS? I test it with ScreenTest app (free) and put it on 90% black with lowest brightness setting.

Yes, perfectly uniform. Genius at the Apple store even used the same app you recommended to check for uniformity.

Now to slap on a nice leather case and not worry about silly screen issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.