Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonissoawesome

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2018
Production week 40 silver max. Screen seems consistent white without any noticeable yellow tint. Took several exchanges to find a good screen.

I’ve been watching this thread for a while and created an account to comment. I had a launch day XS Max through T-Mobile online. Yellow tinted screen, True Tone off, night shift off. I don’t buy into the glue drying BS, and I also don’t accept color filters as a fix. That phone was returned after 2 days.

Went to my local T-Mobile store today and tried again. Space grey 256gb, serial number is FF. I don’t know production week etc. but this screen is flawless. Uniform, no yellow tint. I like True Tone and even with it on this time, it looks as it should look. I was going to get the gold but they were sold out, So I was a little hesitant to try the same color and model again but, here we are :) Just my little update.

Oh and also blue shift is extremely minimal. Nothing more dramatic than tilting an LCD and watching the screen go a little darker. Very happy with this phone!

irobot2090

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
I took mine to Apple Store and they denied to replace the phone, mine is yellow and screen is not even, half yellow and half blue. They ran the test and everything passed, but they said they can't find any problem with it.

What did you guy tell them in order for them to replace the phone? maybe a different time with different people? or is it because mine is 512GB (too expensive to replace?)

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
I took mine to Apple Store and they denied to replace the phone, mine is yellow and screen is not even, half yellow and half blue. They ran the test and everything passed, but they said they can't find any problem with it.

What did you guy tell them in order for them to replace the phone? maybe a different time with different people? or is it because mine is 512GB (too expensive to replace?)

Are you within your return period? If so, you don't need a "reason" - just tell them you want to return the phone. If you're outside of your return period...sadly, I'm not sure.

I’ve been watching this thread for a while and created an account to comment. I had a launch day XS Max through T-Mobile online. Yellow tinted screen, True Tone off, night shift off. I don’t buy into the glue drying BS, and I also don’t accept color filters as a fix. That phone was returned after 2 days.

Went to my local T-Mobile store today and tried again. Space grey 256gb, serial number is FF. I don’t know production week etc. but this screen is flawless. Uniform, no yellow tint. I like True Tone and even with it on this time, it looks as it should look. I was going to get the gold but they were sold out, So I was a little hesitant to try the same color and model again but, here we are :) Just my little update.

Oh and also blue shift is extremely minimal. Nothing more dramatic than tilting an LCD and watching the screen go a little darker. Very happy with this phone!

Very nice! I am jealous haha. I had an FF serial number and screen was trash. :( That's why I'm really not sure how much serial numbers mean. Perhaps production weeks mean something! I went through 4. I remember I had FF, FK, G0 and something else...maybe another FF or FK. I forget the weeks though. But they were all pretty poor.

Jonissoawesome

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2018
Are you within your return period? If so, you don't need a "reason" - just tell them you want to return the phone. If you're outside of your return period...sadly, I'm not sure.

Very nice! I am jealous haha. I had an FF serial number and screen was trash. :( That's why I'm really not sure how much serial numbers mean. Perhaps production weeks mean something! I went through 4. I remember I had FF, FK, G0 and something else...maybe another FF or FK. I forget the weeks though. But they were all pretty poor.

Man I am so sorry for all your bad luck. I was really on the fence about just staying with my 7 plus until it completely died. But the battery was pretty crap, had a white hot pixel (halo) that came back even after screen replacement oct last year, WiFi was crapping out for some reason and i was growing extremely bored of it. Didn’t want 8 plus either bc it’s not really an upgrade in my opinion. I would say don’t give up but after 4 replacements... Idk. First one was definitely yellow. With gray scale color filter on, screen was still yellow lol. WTH. So I have no idea what’s going on with some phones but I do feel so bad for those going through all the replacements. It’s your money, it’s an expensive product that we have come to expect a very higher level of quality so... I totally understand returns/exchanges. Also don’t appreciate those on forums who bash people for their returns either and how much it “costs apple”. Apple will be fine lol

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah I totally agree. I didn't feel bad returning. These phones are too expensive to not be completely satisfied. I will say after the last return they started to give me a hard time though...so I gave up for a bit and just picked up an XR yesterday and the screen calibration is flawless! Perfectly white, no yellow tint to be found. Even with TrueTone on (which I usually turn off) it is perfect! Just how I like it. The screen is really pretty great and to my eyes, I can't see a big difference unless I look real closely at text. Which I don't normally do lol. Maybe I'll try for the OLED model next year but for now I can definitely see myself happy with the XR. And the red is just be-au-ti-ful haha.

Reactions: NorthSeaBeach

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I picked up another Xs Max (#6) and an XR last Friday. The XR has a perfect screen. Xs Max is going back - has a uniform screen but the yellow tint is ridiculous.

Jonissoawesome

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2018
I’m glad you all are happy with the XR :) I did play with one at T-Mobile today and the screen looked great, but the bezels were a bit too fat in my opinion. I just imagined it with a case making the bezels look even larger but, that’s just picky of me I know. I do think it’s priced really well and most people would be happy with their purchase if they buy one. The red is really pretty, the gold band on the yellow is the only “ugly” one I feel like.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Anyone purchased the Xs/Xs Max recently? Any luck finding a good screen?

In my country, in the last 2 weeks or so (27 Oct), the phones stocks seem to be stuck at week 37-38. There's probably a huge stockpile of Space Grey XS 256GB. Who knows, it will take another 3 months or so to find a week 40 and beyond here. Then again, not sure if build weeks matter.
[doublepost=1540781743][/doublepost]
I’m glad you all are happy with the XR :) I did play with one at T-Mobile today and the screen looked great, but the bezels were a bit too fat in my opinion. I just imagined it with a case making the bezels look even larger but, that’s just picky of me I know. I do think it’s priced really well and most people would be happy with their purchase if they buy one. The red is really pretty, the gold band on the yellow is the only “ugly” one I feel like.

Same for me, I think the XR is a tad too huge and thick. The XS is the largest phone size I'd go with.

Serhiy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
I went to a couple of stores just to compare the screens. And almost all of them were with a yellow tint. Some models were less yellow than the others and they had F2 serial and 5th letter was G (production – last week of September). I truly want to believe that the October models will be with more correct white balance ))

What is the production week of your FF model? You can look for the 5th letter in your serial number.

Jonissoawesome

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2018
I went to a couple of stores just to compare the screens. And almost all of them were with a yellow tint. Some models were less yellow than the others and they had F2 serial and 5th letter was G (production – last week of September). I truly want to believe that the October models will be with more correct white balance ))

What is the production week of your FF model? You can look for the 5th letter in your serial number.

It’s J

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

The bezels are fat but after a bit you just look at the screen and content

XR is an excellent alternative for people in xs/max OLED swap hell

Reactions: DanRyb

Kestrel452

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I just went into an Apple retail store yesterday to look at the XS and XS Max, and was pretty keen on upgrading that day.

The atrocious in-store experience of having to wait hours even a month post-launch just to speak to an associate aside...the display may have permanently soured me on the new phones. I spent a good 45 minutes comparing a few different units with varying display settings against my 8 Plus...and the OLED displays just don't come to close to the 8 Plus' IPS panel.

The color shift is quite obvious, and apparently does not take much of an angle change at all to precipitate it. The amount necessary to cause significant color shift is well under the typical angle changes one would have with holding a small handheld device. What's more, the display doesn't even seem to be designed to appear neutral when looking at it straight on. The MacRumors home page is actually a pretty good benchmark, I've found. On the XS/XS Max, the suttle blue to white color gradient at the top of the page is washed out by the warm screen tint, that is until you tilt the phone such that you see a clearly neutral white.

This wasn't an issue I was expecting, or had read about before going in to look at the new phones. It is so bad I noticed it the second I looked at the settings menu and saw that the normally white background was actually more of an ivory or beige. I've been an Apple loyalist since birth, however, I am nearing the point giving up on them. These display issues are unacceptable.

xrussx

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
I guess I am just going to accept a warmer screen if I want the MAX. Going to pick up my last one that I will buy today.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Xr screens look brighter and must better colour hue pure white i actually would swap display on the max with that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.