Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Mine just got shipped as well, 5th letter's a D (9/9-15/9). Production week 37. Was hoping I'd get some of the latest builds but oh well.
It's likely Apple has stock pile of them stored at the warehouse now ready to ship. I have another one coming and the 5th letter starts with F so it's week 38. I once got started with H (Week 40) but that ended up going back.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Tomorrow is my last day to return my Xs Max. I’m highly debating returning the phone and getting the XR. I love the Max but the warm/yellow screen is really disappointing on a $1400 phone (256 w/ AppleCare) where I could spend $900 on a XR 128 w/ AppleCare. I could care less about the features I give up going from Max to XR if I know I’ll have a cool temperature screen with whites that are white and not this warm cream color...

Reactions: DanPH77

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I read on one of the reviews that the XR actually had a warmer screen than the XS Max.

The Verge's XR was slightly warmer with true tone on then the Verge's XS. Thats all it proves, that one individual phone was warmer than another individual phone.

With the variation in these devices, all we know is it can be warmer than a cooler phone.

The Verge seems to always get cherry picked cooler review models. Maybe not for the XR this time? IDK. Will have to see when I get my XR on Friday. If its yellow, it goes back within 5 minutes and I rock the 8+.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Getting my replacement shipped today and it’s a DN week 33!
Why is it not a more recent build? My return was within the 14 day return period and I just purchased a new one on Apple site.

What is this such old stock? Are they reshipping other returns made in the 14 day window? If that’s the case this Is going right back.

What do you guys/girls think. Any other people returning their devices within the 14 day period and reordering getting old units?

CC

UPDATE: Space Grey 256 gb XS

Went to Apple Store got a week 36 C3 serial with a perfect screen (slightly warm but bright and clean)! Cell Reception excellent, speakers perfect, wifi perfect no dings, scratches, sharp edges and the touch screen is perfect in all areas of the phone. My search is over.

The supposedly NEW phone shipped out of the repair center arrived and the screen is washed out, not nearly as bright and the sim tray sticks out to the point of giving a sharp edge. The serial was a DN. That is going back tomorrow.

From what I have seen the DN screens are washed out and not as bright as the C3 screens. They also have a yellow-pink to blue on the tilt as the C3 has slight blue only on the tilt. This is evaluating 2 C3 and 2 DN units.

I should have just went to the Apple store to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: draa

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
So, I’ve just talked to Apple support about yellow tint and they offered me as an option to leave feedback to add a white balance slider to the settings menu. They said that if enough people would ask for this option they consider it in the future iOS updates. I think we can try at least ))

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
we need a color temp slider like Android phones

I just submitted feedback for it
[doublepost=1540381822][/doublepost]
Tomorrow is my last day to return my Xs Max. I’m highly debating returning the phone and getting the XR. I love the Max but the warm/yellow screen is really disappointing on a $1400 phone (256 w/ AppleCare) where I could spend $900 on a XR 128 w/ AppleCare. I could care less about the features I give up going from Max to XR if I know I’ll have a cool temperature screen with whites that are white and not this warm cream color...
thing is its all just a software thing that could be fixed in a day...all the screens would be perfect with a color temp slider
[doublepost=1540381975][/doublepost]
Hey whatever it takes to wake Apple the f up

it would take alot because there are features ppl have been wanting for years that have not come on yet...this video explains it perfectly:

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
How does this one look?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-10-24 at 6.09.52 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-10-24 at 6.09.52 PM.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 275
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-10-24 at 6.09.54 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-10-24 at 6.09.54 PM.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 279

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
Never mind us, how does it look to you?

Slightly better than my 1st one. Blue shift is still there but minimal.
Quick question, are many people having rough edges? Or is it a defect? My iphone is smooth all around the left side but on the lower right side there is a rough edge as well as near the charging port.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Quick question, are many people having rough edges? Or is it a defect? My iphone is smooth all around the left side but on the lower right side there is a rough edge as well as near the charging port.
Defect.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
How prominent is the rough edge? Is there a really noticeable gap in the casing? My advice, you got a near perfect screen it seems, just keep it! I'd much rather have a perfect screen with a rough edge than a piss yellow or pink shifting screen with smooth edges. For the price Apple is charging neither should be issues, but nothing we can do. Pick your poison here.

I have a rough bottom left edge. It's just a bit uneven. Doesn't bother me at all and my screen is a good one. Phone is a keeper.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
UPDATE: Space Grey 256 gb XS

From what I have seen the DN screens are washed out and not as bright as the C3 screens. They also have a yellow-pink to blue on the tilt as the C3 has slight blue only on the tilt. This is evaluating 2 C3 and 2 DN units.

I don't necessarly believe serial numbers make a difference, but for the record I got a C3 XS phone at launch and it has a great screen. It's very slightly warmer compared to my previous X, but it is bright and even with a slight blue shift on tilt.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
How does this one look?

white and then less white lol
[doublepost=1540403471][/doublepost]
I don't necessarly believe serial numbers make a difference, but for the record I got a C3 XS phone at launch and it has a great screen. It's very slightly warmer compared to my previous X, but it is bright and even with a slight blue shift on tilt.
thats what i noticed. slightly warmer than the x and alot warmer than the LCD screens...but after you get use to it the whites actually seem more natural

andreipavel

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
71CBCE8F-4690-4BEC-AF7B-FE143385CF04.jpeg
Which one should I keep? The one on the right is my 3rd one. To my eyes they look the same. Maybe the photo doesn't do them justice. For me all 3 have been a lot warmer than my girlfriend's X and also warmer than the ones displayed in apple stores.
I find it curious that the new one is made in the US. I thought all iphones are assembled in China.

shotokaizer

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
View attachment 798319 Which one should I keep? The one on the right is my 3rd one. To my eyes they look the same. Maybe the photo doesn't do them justice. For me all 3 have been a lot warmer than my girlfriend's X and also warmer than the ones displayed in apple stores.
I find it curious that the new one is made in the US. I thought all iphones are assembled in China.

The one to the right has a light pink hue top right.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Serhiy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
View attachment 798319 Which one should I keep? The one on the right is my 3rd one. To my eyes they look the same. Maybe the photo doesn't do them justice. For me all 3 have been a lot warmer than my girlfriend's X and also warmer than the ones displayed in apple stores.
screenshot-www-3u-com-2018-10-09-12-58-27-png.793507

According to this info it is the new factory of Foxconn in 2 China cities. Don't know if its true, but it seems to me more believable.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Going to the Apple Store to look at the XR LCDs after work.. let’s see if their XRs in stores looks the same.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005

I’d describe my launch day C3 the same way.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
has anyone got an XS that they can say is the same color temp (white lvl) as an LCD iphone?

Serhiy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
What is the week of production of your iPhone? What’s the 5th letter in your serial?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.