Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickpausw1092

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Keep up the fight man, only way to get them to drive reform is if it costs more in returns then it does to increase QC
I agree man I even let the apple store staff uk watch me unbox these brand new phones today.
They are shocked to to be honest me paying £1449 iPhone XS Max 512gb not good enough with these defects on a brand new device.

I start to believe why do apple get away with this people probably don't notice these defects or even care about it so apple say screw QC our customer only want the latest apple phone.

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
For those buying and returning: Are you getting charged each time on your credit card? And how long does it take for the credit card company to issue the refund?

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
I'm so tired of this. I really want a decent iPhone Xs Max. My credit is in the Apple Store gift card. Should I try ordering online (Apple UAE)?

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
It has to be in the 14 day return window. You will have to take back everything.
Ok I’ve been doing full returns each time so I have 5+ iPhones on my credit card now until the refunds are processed! So if they can just exchange without doing new charges I’ll ask to do that.

AlthePal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
I found this thread while googling about the blue shift on my XSM. It’s not something that really bugs me enough to return my device. But man, after reading through here, I am very happy with my XSM now. Seems like I could have gotten one way worse! My screen is uniform, bright and very white (NS and TT off), got the blue shift but no pink or yellow hues, no dust under the lens, sharp edges, or scratches. Most of those are things I didn’t even look out for until finding this thread yesterday. I also got mine on launch day so by now I’m way over the return window anyways. I purchased mine from the Apple store at The Grove but I live just 10 mins away from another Apple store. Out of curiosity, I’m going to head there now and compare my display to the ones there.

AlthePal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
Well, I just got back from the Apple store and checked out a bunch of XS and XSM on display. I only found one that had slightly less blue shift than mine, however that screen was much dimmer. A majority of their display phones were pretty bad and had pink/purple shifting hues and some really do stand out with TT off. Many phones also seemed yellow with shifting pink hues. I was actually surprised that I couldn’t find one display that was flawless. I really got lucky getting a good XSM on the first try on launch day. Many of the phones I saw today IMO are unacceptable. I attached pics of one there that had an extreme violet shift!

Attachments

• 909562AD-A52D-4E1E-98CA-3F5D7EC14A64.jpeg
    909562AD-A52D-4E1E-98CA-3F5D7EC14A64.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 322
  • C4620B2B-7CBE-4090-BC38-3C4B615F7E43.jpeg
    C4620B2B-7CBE-4090-BC38-3C4B615F7E43.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 338

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Wow you have a ****** display. Just sayin

lol you must be the sensitive one in your friend group...actually it is quiet white but feel free to keep trying to be an asshat when you just got hit with some knowledge and now you feel like a dumbass. lol
[doublepost=1540114801][/doublepost]
Well, I just got back from the Apple store and checked out a bunch of XS and XSM on display. I only found one that had slightly less blue shift than mine, however that screen was much dimmer. A majority of their display phones were pretty bad and had pink/purple shifting hues and some really do stand out with TT off. Many phones also seemed yellow with shifting pink hues. I was actually surprised that I couldn’t find one display that was flawless. I really got lucky getting a good XSM on the first try on launch day. Many of the phones I saw today IMO are unacceptable. I attached pics of one there that had an extreme violet shift!

bro that looks like someone turned on color filters and maxed out the intensity. Guarantee you that is what it is.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

AlthePal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
bro that looks like someone turned on color filters and maxed out the intensity. Guarantee you that is what it is.

That’s what I thought initially! I made sure to check that Display Accomodations were off. This one was just really bad!

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010

That’s fake

Reactions: DanPH77

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Getting my replacement shipped today and it’s a DN week 33!
Why is it not a more recent build? My return was within the 14 day return period and I just purchased a new one on Apple site.

What is this such old stock? Are they reshipping other returns made in the 14 day window? If that’s the case this Is going right back.

What do you guys/girls think. Any other people returning their devices within the 14 day period and reordering getting old units?

CC

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Anyone else notice that when comparing two phones side by side, the one of the right always has a whiter panel with brighter colors? If you swap the right phone to the left, it looks more yellow with dimmer colors.

Does this have anything to do with being right brain/ left brain dominant, or do I just have something wrong with my brain?

Reactions: DanPH77

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
140F240D-91EC-4178-A6E3-49A972E44151.jpeg
Why is it not a more recent build? My return was within the 14 day return period and I just purchased a new one on Apple site.

What is this such old stock? Are they reshipping other returns made in the 14 day window? If that’s the case this Is going right back.

What do you guys/girls think. Any other people returning their devices within the 14 day period and reordering getting old units?

CC

Me. Here’s my lottery journey.

7 Oct: DN Week 38 - from telco - very slight yellow/pink. Returned.

12 Oct: DN Week 37 - from Apple Retail - very slight yellow/pink, i’d say it’s exactly same as previous. Returned.

17 Oct: C39 Week 36! - from Apple Online - much more yellow than previous 2. Returned.

21 Oct: DN Week 38 - from Apple Retail - very slight yellow/pink. Consistent with the previous 2 DN builds. Returned.

I deliberated over whether to keep the latest or not. Compared to store demos. Images attached (left: store demo. right: mine). Honestly it is not that unacceptable, but still a very slight difference from some store demos. A few are almost same, or slightly worse. But decided to return, as I’m beginning to lose interest on a new phone, and get back into this lottery maybe mid next month.

Seems like the stock are not moving that fast. At least for XS 256gb space grey. Foresee it’d take at least 3 more weeks for them to cycle thru those builds. I would like to see how Oct builds are. If they are the same, I might choose to accept that’s just how XS are (though clearly store demos proved otherwise). Or perhaps I will stick to my iphone 7 for another year. And while I’m at it, check out the XR. Though I’m quite sure I wouldn’t like the extra weight.

And yes. Like you I suspect they are putting back returns into the supply chain and hence the older builds received from online store. I’m in Singapore btw.

Attachments

• 8D985F6C-62FA-4DAE-8167-ADC7C189942D.jpeg
    8D985F6C-62FA-4DAE-8167-ADC7C189942D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 392
Last edited:

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
View attachment 797098

Me. Here’s my lottery journey.

7 Oct: DN Week 38 - from telco - very slight yellow/pink. Returned.

12 Oct: DN Week 37 - from Apple Retail - very slight yellow/pink, i’d say it’s exactly same as previous. Returned.

17 Oct: C39 Week 36! - from Apple Online - must more yellow than previous 2. Returned.

21 Oct: DN Week 38 - from Apple Retail - very slight yellow/pink. Consistent with the previous 2 DN builds. Returned.

I deliberated over whether to keep the latest or not. Compared to store demos. Images attached (left: store demo. right: mine). Honestly it is not that unacceptable, but still a very slight difference from some store demos. A few are almost same, or slightly worse. But decided to return, as I’m beginning to lose interest on a new phone, and get back into this lottery maybe mid next month.

Seems like the stock are not moving that fast. At least for XS 256gb space grey. Foresee it’d take at least 3 more weeks for them to cycle thru those builds. I would like to see how Oct builds are. If they are the same, I might choose to accept that’s just how XS are (though clearly store demos proved otherwise). Or perhaps I will stick to my iphone 7 for another year. And while I’m at it, check out the XR. Though I’m quite sure I wouldn’t like the extra weight.

And yes. Like you I suspect they are putting back returns into the supply chain and hence the older builds received from online store. I’m in Singapore btw.

Great post! I will get it Tuesday and post back here. My last one had a great screen but the top right of the phone was unresponsive. If this is no good again I may just get an XR.

Do you think all DN serials ar bad?

CC

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Great post! I will get it Tuesday and post back here. My last one had a great screen but the top right of the phone was unresponsive. If this is no good again I may just get an XR.

Do you think all DN serials ar bad?

CC

Like I said. The DNs I received are actually quite close to the “better” store demos. I wouldn’t say they are worse, just that they are of a different colour temperature. The week 36 C39 I received was clearly more yellowish and not as bright. So maybe DNs would be acceptable to you.

For me, I’m just curious how subsequent Oct builds are. Some here have received Oct ones. But not me yet.

Good luck!

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if it's fine for Apple to use returns as new pieces again. If they're doing this, what a shame. I didn't expect this from them. sigh, wish there was a better option to go to. Android is much worse.
[doublepost=1540135182][/doublepost]Maybe people just aren't buying the iPhone Xs anymore and Apple decided to reuse the returned shipments? Idk, seems like sales haven't been that amazing. And with all the other charging/LTE/WiFi/beauty gate issues (excluding yellow warmer screens), people have been replacing/returning these since day 1. Just my theory.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

CC
It sounds like they have plenty of the XS in stock and thus the production of the XS as likely slowed down. I remember when I purchased my 6S Plus back in May of 2016 I ended up getting one that was built in November. So it's likely an old stock and no they are not reshipping returned phones. Returns typically get sent out to Cupertino and then eventually be taken apart and recycle and only reuse that works for replacement units.

Heck when I purchased the perfect iPhone X in April, I got the one with December build. So it just depends on the when you order and the stock level.

Since you purchase it as new, it will be brand new.
[doublepost=1540138922][/doublepost]
I wonder if it's fine for Apple to use returns as new pieces again. If they're doing this, what a shame. I didn't expect this from them. sigh, wish there was a better option to go to. Android is much worse.

AFAIK, Apple Store here in U.S does not resell the open box returned items from other customer. All returns gets sent back and be taken apart and recycled.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone
I think I recall you having that problem before.

I find the XS Max to be a warmer screen, even without TrueTone. I think that’s what you are experiencing—normal for the phone.
[doublepost=1540140179][/doublepost]
It sounds like they have plenty of the XS in stock and thus the production of the XS as likely slowed down. I remember when I purchased my 6S Plus back in May of 2016 I ended up getting one that was built in November. So it's likely an old stock and no they are not reshipping returned phones. Returns typically get sent out to Cupertino and then eventually be taken apart and recycle and only reuse that works for replacement units.

Heck when I purchased the perfect iPhone X in April, I got the one with December build. So it just depends on the when you order and the stock level.

AFAIK, Apple Store here in U.S does not resell the open box returned items from other customer. All returns gets sent back and be taken apart and recycled.
I thought the returns become refurbished.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018

You might be right. Buying one in nov or dec might still be a week 36-38 build. Well, lottery it is then.

Reactions: madKIR

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I think I recall you having that problem before.

I find the XS Max to be a warmer screen, even without TrueTone. I think that’s what you are experiencing—normal for the phone.
[doublepost=1540140179][/doublepost]
I thought the returns become refurbished.

They do! However, it takes about 2 months to cycle them back in to Genius stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.