Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
Sounds like you didn’t understand me. I’m on your side. I’m saying your phone is evidence against all these others that good screens exist. Lots of people try to claim every year the yellow is intentional and it never is.
I apologize if I was rude. Sometimes it's hard to understand on someones text. Not sure if I hit the lottery with this phone. It's white and bright but still dingy in certain lighting. It's weird. Right now I'm looking at it and it crisp. But earlier in dark lighting it was a little dingy to me. This whole thing about these oleds are frustrating.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I had 2 maxs and one the screen seemed to go a little further towards the edge than the other so you could feel more of the flat top of the steel band. I wouldn't say it was sharp enough to cut, and when you put a case on it you don't feel it anyways. I think there is a little variance in the plastic band between the display glass and the steel band and that is what people are feeling. Could be wrong.

Honestly though, I'd be most interested in if people are ordering in the last few days are getting devices with better screens?

i sat and polished my screen with a micro fiber cloth and inspected the edges for uniformity perfection after you posted this. Lol
[doublepost=1539926972][/doublepost]
Its good that you got one that your happy with. At this point there isn't really any relationship between the production date and the yellow screen.

if it looks good to you dont worry about it. As long as its not very yellow tint and the whites seem white is all that matters
[doublepost=1539927239][/doublepost]
Positive we are seeing some on here that have good screens. Ratio of good to bad still a bit high for me. Might wait till early next week as Apple is saying delivery is next day currently. Might as well let more stock clear out.

I feel like the ppl on this thread, including myself, are a small majority of "picky" customers that expect pretty much perfection, lol. In a whole if this was an issue there would have been more reports on it and articles from published sites out on the issue.
[doublepost=1539927620][/doublepost]
AAANNNDDD the good screens are starting to arrive. What an absolute surprise, Apple isnt intentionally calibrating these warmer after all.

IM SO SHOCKED GUYS that this is the same as every iphone in the past 10 years. SHOCKED!!!!! I really thought the color warriors were right this time after being wrong 10x in a row.

They are warmer by a little when compared to the X and alot compared to an LCD iPhone. I havent seen one single instance of it being just as cool as a good LCD model that is a cool screen.

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Looks pretty normal for a XS.
It's an X fyi.

Here's a comparison with Night Shift on (left) & off (right)...
C328A5DA-C5C6-41C3-97F4-8879D7C19D34.jpeg C0FFBEB0-5C2E-410D-9602-E91700A09EDC.jpeg

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Your a idiot. You need to ****
[doublepost=1539917394][/doublepost]
You mad bro cuz you have a puss yellow screen. Don't hate the player hate the game

your screen is alot whiter than normal in the pic because of the camera white balance

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I apologize if I was rude. Sometimes it's hard to understand on someones text. Not sure if I hit the lottery with this phone. It's white and bright but still dingy in certain lighting. It's weird. Right now I'm looking at it and it crisp. But earlier in dark lighting it was a little dingy to me. This whole thing about these oleds are frustrating.
compared to an LCD iPhone it will be warmer

kneezmo

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
[QUOTE = "DanPH77, post: 26676456, miembro: 1148138"] comparado con un iPhone LCD será más cálido [/ QUOTE]

Al final, lo único cierto es que es mejor esperar 1 o 2 meses antes de tomar riesgos. O tome la generación anterior que ya está más que pulida. La pantalla amarilla son muchas, finalmente, olvídese, estoy interesado y más importante sobre la cobertura y la velocidad de LTE y Wi-Fi, que parece más serio que esto.

Yunklucy00

Suspended
Oct 17, 2018
Update guys just taken my fourth replacement iPhone XS Max this morning happy to say this screen is nice hardly any yellow piss colour with True tone on and the best thing is no dents,glue hanging out of the sides,no sharp edges,no marks,no dust under screen and camera lens perfect device at last.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
[QUOTE = "DanPH77, post: 26676456, miembro: 1148138"] comparado con un iPhone LCD será más cálido [/ QUOTE]

Al final, lo único cierto es que es mejor esperar 1 o 2 meses antes de tomar riesgos. O tome la generación anterior que ya está más que pulida. La pantalla amarilla son muchas, finalmente, olvídese, estoy interesado y más importante sobre la cobertura y la velocidad de LTE y Wi-Fi, que parece más serio que esto.

well given that its an S model it is polished and waiting shouldnt be that big of a deal...esp when some ppl got day one iPhones that are good. The speed is garbo compared to the Note 9 apparently.

xrussx

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Update guys just taken my fourth replacement iPhone XS Max this morning happy to say this screen is nice hardly any yellow piss colour with True tone on and the best thing is no dents,glue hanging out of the sides,no sharp edges,no marks,no dust under screen and camera lens perfect device at last.

Did you receive this via the online store?

kneezmo

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
well given that its an S model it is polished and waiting shouldnt be that big of a deal...esp when some ppl got day one iPhones that are good. The speed is garbo compared to the Note 9 apparently.
i return my xs for this.. wait for apple to know if is soft or hard..

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I noticed a yellow tint on my XS Max compared to my X. I went into color filters and adjusted the display. It’s now perfect.

Yunklucy00

Suspended
Oct 17, 2018
Did you receive this via the online store?

Apple online store uk they was quite fussy to be honest after your third replacement unit they asked me so much questions kept on trying to force you to your local Apple store genius bar make sure you stand your ground with the 14 days exchange policy.

Reactions: John webstar44

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I will say on the above video that does clean the color up a bit. For me, I honesty prefer the devices factory calibrated the same. With the new iPad pros coming, if they are also more yellow it is likely going to be a theme for apple moving forward.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
They can easily set the iPhone XR as the same white point temperature that will appear more warm. But we'll see.

I don't believe OLED's are naturally warmer..

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
Alright so my experience:
iPhone Xs Max #1 (October 11th, Apple Store Dubai): shifts to blue tint SIGNIFICANTLY at even tilting slightly. Rough edges noticeable. 5th digit in SN was D.

iPhone Xs Max #2: shifts to blue tint (a bit less than 1st one tho). Scratch on the back out of the box. 5th digit in SN was 9.
iPhone Xs Max #3: warm display. 5th digit in SN was D.
iPhone Xs Max #4: display seemed okay but rough edges. 5th digit in SN was D.
iPhone Xs Max #5: stainless steel band out of the box had a scuff (chipped). 5th digit in SN was D.

iPhones #2-5, I kept visiting 2 different stores in Dubai to try my luck. Got tired in the end and just decided to get an Apple gift card and try online after a week or so. This is so f**king frustrating. WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE'S QUALITY CONTROL?!?

Also, are rough edges normal for all of you? Because I'm so tired to the point where I don't have energy to go and check display units.

John webstar44

Suspended
May 9, 2018
Alright so my experience:
iPhone Xs Max #1 (October 11th, Apple Store Dubai): shifts to blue tint SIGNIFICANTLY at even tilting slightly. Rough edges noticeable. 5th digit in SN was D.

iPhone Xs Max #2: shifts to blue tint (a bit less than 1st one tho). Scratch on the back out of the box. 5th digit in SN was 9.
iPhone Xs Max #3: warm display. 5th digit in SN was D.
iPhone Xs Max #4: display seemed okay but rough edges. 5th digit in SN was D.
iPhone Xs Max #5: stainless steel band out of the box had a scuff (chipped). 5th digit in SN was D.

iPhones #2-5, I kept visiting 2 different stores in Dubai to try my luck. Got tired in the end and just decided to get an Apple gift card and try online after a week or so. This is so f**king frustrating. WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE'S QUALITY CONTROL?!?

Also, are rough edges normal for all of you? Because I'm so tired to the point where I don't have energy to go and check display units.
Apple saving cost now on Quality control upto the user to notice these defects.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I noticed a yellow tint on my XS Max compared to my X. I went into color filters and adjusted the display. It’s now perfect.

Well as said many times before that is not a fix...see Android phones have a color temp slider...thats a fix (unless its abnormally warm "yellow") And if that screenshot is not edited that phones screen is way to yellow
[doublepost=1540012876][/doublepost]
I took the Pic with a iphone 8 plus hater

lol ok good for you. My comment still stands. You obv dont know what white balance is. Go play around with the camera on your iphone 8 and you will find it. It is on auto...try changing the setting around and watch your screen go to piss yellow to the whites of heaven.

Your welcome for the knowledge

P.S. Here is an example...took the same way you did. One on the right is auto and the left is natural

n3ivBAO.jpg

Attachments

• wdwd.JPG
    wdwd.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
yes, some units have the bottom 1/3 of the screen with a noticeable yellow tint. it won't go away. if it bothers you, i would just keep returning until you find a replacement. seems reasonable for a $1500 device. High prices, higher expectations should be the norm. There is no other fix other than getting a new phone.

Reactions: Sarah Jones 799

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I’m surprised no one’s talking about the dimmer white point on the iPhone XS models, they all have it. It’s dimmer than the iPhone X models.

They all have warmer displays (without True Tone), unless you luck out as they’re hard to find.

And all of the iPhone XS have awful True Tone calibrations, every time I see people post their iPhone XS online I can see how True Tone isn’t properly adapting to their room’s color temperature. This is terrible, we shouldn’t have to disable a feature because they gimped it.

Reactions: DanPH77

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I’m surprised no one’s talking about the dimmer white point on the iPhone XS models, they all have it. It’s dimmer than the iPhone X models.

They all have warmer displays (without True Tone), unless you luck out as they’re hard to find.

And all of the iPhone XS have awful True Tone calibrations, every time I see people post their iPhone XS online I can see how True Tone isn’t properly adapting to their room’s color temperature. This is terrible, we shouldn’t have to disable a feature because they gimped it.
I agree. The TT can be fixed in software...and to an extent so can the color temp. The XS are a little warmer than prev models by majority.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
Well as said many times before that is not a fix...see Android phones have a color temp slider...thats a fix (unless its abnormally warm "yellow") And if that screenshot is not edited that phones screen is way to yellow
[doublepost=1540012876][/doublepost]

lol ok good for you. My comment still stands. You obv dont know what white balance is. Go play around with the camera on your iphone 8 and you will find it. It is on auto...try changing the setting around and watch your screen go to piss yellow to the whites of heaven.

Your welcome for the knowledge

P.S. Here is an example...took the same way you did. One on the right is auto and the left is natural

n3ivBAO.jpg
Wow you have a ****** display. Just sayin

Nickpausw1092

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Six iPhone exchanges still haven't got a iPhone that is perfect out the box been to two local Apple stores today.
Something is wrong with Apple QC
1. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store horrible yellow colour with a dent on the side bands.
2. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store no yellow screen but dust under the screen or a dead pixel.
3 .Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store yellow screen with scuffs marks on the side of the metal frame.
Decided to try another apple store.
4. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store yellow screen with rough and sharp edges on the side.
5. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store this one has dust under the camera lens and a nasty yellow screen.
6. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store yellow screen and a big scuff mark on the power switch and volume up.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Six iPhone exchanges still haven't got a iPhone that is perfect out the box been to two local Apple stores today.
Something is wrong with Apple QC
1. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store horrible yellow colour with a dent on the side bands.
2. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store no yellow screen but dust under the screen or a dead pixel.
3 .Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store yellow screen with scuffs marks on the side of the metal frame.
Decided to try another apple store.
4. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store yellow screen with rough and sharp edges on the side.
5. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store this one has dust under the camera lens and a nasty yellow screen.
6. Unit iPhone XS Max opened box in store yellow screen and a big scuff mark on the power switch and volume up.

Keep up the fight man, only way to get them to drive reform is if it costs more in returns then it does to increase QC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.