Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlthePal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
they wouldnt allow that in an apple store...there is no way.

Uhh I’m confused. Like I really have no reason to fake this??? I guess I should have taken a pic of the display accomodations screen... Or I could always go back as they are 10 mins away from me. In case you’re wondering, this was at the Brea, CA Apple Store. You can see the location in my pic. Jesus people....

Edit: I should also note that if the screen on that phone is angled a few millimeters up, all that crazy violet shift goes away and it looks like a normal screen head on..like I said before, it’s a violet SHIFT. The whole screen is not like that...

Attachments

• 779B603C-CF1C-404A-AAB9-D617DE65E45C.jpeg
    779B603C-CF1C-404A-AAB9-D617DE65E45C.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 286

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I wonder if it's fine for Apple to use returns as new pieces again. If they're doing this, what a shame. I didn't expect this from them. sigh, wish there was a better option to go to. Android is much worse.
[doublepost=1540135182][/doublepost]Maybe people just aren't buying the iPhone Xs anymore and Apple decided to reuse the returned shipments? Idk, seems like sales haven't been that amazing. And with all the other charging/LTE/WiFi/beauty gate issues (excluding yellow warmer screens), people have been replacing/returning these since day 1. Just my theory.

THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYONE SHOULD BE AWARE OF:

I can tell you this, I got the tracking info for the new order and I noticed the origin was Carlile PA. That is Apple's repair center. I am immediately suspect that this was another person's 14 day return phone. I contacted Apple chat and the lady I was chatting with told me that was very strange, I also informed her it was a week 33 build (August) seems awful strange that they still have new stock on that and she agreed with me on both points. She then told me to contact Apple at a 800 number.

After to speaking to a CS rep I explained the whole story again and she could not tell me whY the phone was shipping from their repair center. She told me to be assured that the phone is not refurbished, I then told her is it possible this is someone else's 14 day return phone and she would not answer the question. i repeated the 2 questions several times with the same coined answer and no answer.

So the moral of this story is that I am pretty sure Apple is sending out as new phones returned within the 14 day period. The phone I returned had a defect (no touch input on the upper right portion of the screen) i am sure other 14 day returns have defects or screens that are unacceptable also.

When the phone arrives on Tuesday its going right back. Today I am going to the Apple store to purchase, Now I am paranoid that the Apple stores do the same thing and just restock the 14 day returns. Thoughts?

Very disappointing to say the least.

CC

AlthePal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYONE SHOULD BE AWARE OF:

I can tell you this, I got the tracking info for the new order and I noticed the origin was Carlile PA. That is Apple's repair center. I am immediately suspect that this was another person's 14 day return phone. I contacted Apple chat and the lady I was chatting with told me that was very strange, I also informed her it was a week 33 build (August) seems awful strange that they still have new stock on that and she agreed with me on both points. She then told me to contact Apple at a 800 number.

After to speaking to a CS rep I explained the whole story again and she could not tell me whY the phone was shipping from their repair center. She told me to be assured that the phone is not refurbished, I then told her is it possible this is someone else's 14 day return phone and she would not answer the question. i repeated the 2 questions several times with the same coined answer and no answer.

So the moral of this story is that I am pretty sure Apple is sending out as new phones returned within the 14 day period. The phone I returned had a defect (no touch input on the upper right portion of the screen) i am sure other 14 day returns have defects or screens that are unacceptable also.

When the phone arrives on Tuesday its going right back. Today I am going to the Apple store to purchase, Now I am paranoid that the Apple stores do the same thing and just restock the 14 day returns. Thoughts?

CC

If it makes you feel any better, mines a week 36 build and I got a good display. My serial starts with FF. Who knows, maybe you’ll get a good display. Best of luck!!

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'm happy with the screen of my Max. If anything, it's slightly better than the screen of my Honor 10 which uses LCD instead of OLED.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Not sure why you think this. But Apple Store or Apple.com has never in its history have resold a returned items back to a new customer. Once a customer returns the phone, Apple marks those as open box and then be sent off to Cupertino to be looked at and then turned into warranty replacement units.

Also Apple store near me, if you purchase a brand new iPhone and it's still in its wrapper and you return it, they are forced to open it and verify and mark it as open box item and not for resale. I've been told that they have been getting hit with customers returning them and repackaging them as if they were't open and only changing the device or putting fake iPhones in and repackaging them. Each Apple store may be different.

You can definitely try your luck at the Apple Store and see if you were able to get a newer build but that all depends on how long they had in stock. For example, Apple Store near me have 65 units of iPhone XS Max 256 GB Space Gray sim - free model in stock on the shelf. Now it's been like this for a week or so and Apple Store won't be getting any new shipment for that model until the stock runs low. Who knows when that will be when they have 65 of them. So even if January comes and still have that amount, and someone buys one then, then likely they will get one from September build.

Good luck

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Not sure why you think this. But Apple Store or Apple.com has never in its history have resold a returned items back to a new customer. Once a customer returns the phone, Apple marks those as open box and then be sent off to Cupertino to be looked at and then turned into warranty replacement units.

Also Apple store near me, if you purchase a brand new iPhone and it's still in its wrapper and you return it, they are forced to open it and verify and mark it as open box item and not for resale. I've been told that they have been getting hit with customers returning them and repackaging them as if they were't open and only changing the device or putting fake iPhones in and repackaging them. Each Apple store may be different.

You can definitely try your luck at the Apple Store and see if you were able to get a newer build but that all depends on how long they had in stock. For example, Apple Store near me have 65 units of iPhone XS Max 256 GB Space Gray sim - free model in stock on the shelf. Now it's been like this for a week or so and Apple Store won't be getting any new shipment for that model until the stock runs low. Who knows when that will be when they have 65 of them. So even if January comes and still have that amount, and someone buys one then, then likely they will get one from September build.

Good luck

My question to you would be why is it shipping from the repair center? No one seems able or willing to answer that.

CC

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
My question to you would be why is it shipping from the repair center? No one seems able or willing to answer that.

CC
I don’t know why they would. They usually would be shipping them out from their Warehouse. There are 3 warehouse that I know so far. One is in Mt. Joliet, TN, I know there is a warehouse in PA, and one in CA.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Getting my replacement shipped today and it’s a DN week 33!
Why is it not a more recent build? My return was within the 14 day return period and I just purchased a new one on Apple site.

What is this such old stock? Are they reshipping other returns made in the 14 day window? If that’s the case this Is going right back.

What do you guys/girls think. Any other people returning their devices within the 14 day period and reordering getting old units?

CC
its not like an old one is guaranteed to be bad. alot of ppl got good launch day phones...its RNG
[doublepost=1540214571][/doublepost]
Anyone else notice that when comparing two phones side by side, the one of the right always has a whiter panel with brighter colors? If you swap the right phone to the left, it looks more yellow with dimmer colors.

Does this have anything to do with being right brain/ left brain dominant, or do I just have something wrong with my brain?

no i noticed this as well when i was comparing the phones. i was like hey this one is a little more white...then i switched the one i owned over to the right instead and it was the same white as the one that was prev on the right.

Reactions: NovemberWhiskey

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

CC
Relax, you aren’t getting a returned / refurb phone. Apple has stock in warehouses ready to ship as others have said. My Pixel phones shipped out of Carol Stream, IL, not California. Or China. This was mentioned in another thread recently, not searching for it, but people got phones sent from PA.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I think I recall you having that problem before.

I find the XS Max to be a warmer screen, even without TrueTone. I think that’s what you are experiencing—normal for the phone.
[doublepost=1540140179][/doublepost]
I thought the returns become refurbished.

It is def warmer than prev versions not much but yea. there are prob ppl with very warm or yellow screens but i would say alot of ppl are also returning phones that are fine and can actually be resolved in a software update that adds color temp slider
[doublepost=1540222325][/doublepost]
Uhh I’m confused. Like I really have no reason to fake this??? I guess I should have taken a pic of the display accomodations screen... Or I could always go back as they are 10 mins away from me. In case you’re wondering, this was at the Brea, CA Apple Store. You can see the location in my pic. Jesus people....

Edit: I should also note that if the screen on that phone is angled a few millimeters up, all that crazy violet shift goes away and it looks like a normal screen head on..like I said before, it’s a violet SHIFT. The whole screen is not like that...

you had a pic of it headon that looked violet though?

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I guess I got lucky with my first xs max.
No crazy color shifts. Eating crow now. Lol.

Week 35 build F2.
It’s a tad bit warmer than my 7+ but I’m ok with that as my old eyes is starting to prefer the warmer colors. Lol

True Tone on btw

Reactions: DanPH77

Wayward

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Got a Xs Max 64gb gold on September 21. Had an area of yellow in the lower right quadrant of the screen. It also had LTE issues.

Apple replaced that phone. Replacement had a pretty good screen, but I could still notice a gradient from top to bottom, but it was subtle and evenly spread. Acceptable to me.

Outgrew the 64gb, so today I did a Jump upgrade at T Mobile to Xs Max 256gb SG. Latest build I’ve had so far, week 41. Screen was acceptable, but not outstanding.

During setup, I noticed that it had a sharp edge along the bottom. Also, there was a shiny scratch mark along that sharp edge.

Took it to the Apple store and the guy that checked me in saw it immediately. Phone was replaced with a week 36. Best screen I’ve had so far. Cooler than the others and almost perfect uniformity.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Am I the only one who sees these side-by-side photos and cannot tell a difference in many (any) of them?

I think most of these issues relate to psychological deficiencies more than anything else.

JFC thanks for the laughs everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
So, I’ve just talked to Apple support about yellow tint and they offered me as an option to leave feedback to add a white balance slider to the settings menu. They said that if enough people would ask for this option they consider it in the future iOS updates. I think we can try at least ))

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Did they offer it, or did you suggest it? Quite important differentiation as the former implies it's already on their radar.

Reactions: DanPH77 and Ravi_MR

Serhiy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
It was me who talked about slider and they offered to make a feedback and also registered my white balance request with some long number. But I think we need to do smth, if its is not surfaced in youtube or in another big inform websites they won't look into it. Since it is not a pain in their a*s they would still provide us with such screens.

xrussx

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Don't have it yet but the new one just shipped is 8/19 - 8/25. At this point I don't think its date related its just the lottery.

Last edited:

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
Mine just got shipped as well, 5th letter's a D (9/9-15/9). Production week 37. Was hoping I'd get some of the latest builds but oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.