Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thebigkahuna

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
Here's a photo of mine, make of it what you will. Some refraction due to glass screen protector but you get an idea of white. Looks neutral white to me. The prior two that I tried were also similar but had a drastic color shift at the slightest angle to pink then blue, and it was very distracting. This one doesn't shift as much and when it does shift it is just blue which is far less distracting to me.

View attachment 795845
That looks perfect.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Whilst you are free to have your opinions, debunking something based purely on the fact you've never experienced it is a little closed-minded don't you think?

Neither have you experienced it. Your glue guess is a wild ass myth. Unless you dissected a phone and examined the chemical composition of the supposed glue layer? No?

Then move along.

Reactions: Tomtank78

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
Neither have you experienced it. Your glue guess is a wild ass myth. Unless you dissected a phone and examined the chemical composition of the supposed glue layer? No?

Then move along.

Can we stop arguing about this petty glue issue/theory and move on? It's seriously getting stupid and so worthless. Focus on the main issue here which is to facilitate and help the users in getting perfect or at least close to perfect phones because we've all paid a hefty price for it.
[doublepost=1539801400][/doublepost]
Here's a photo of mine, make of it what you will. Some refraction due to glass screen protector but you get an idea of white. Looks neutral white to me. The prior two that I tried were also similar but had a drastic color shift at the slightest angle to pink then blue, and it was very distracting. This one doesn't shift as much and when it does shift it is just blue which is far less distracting to me.

View attachment 795845

Does it shift blue by tilting slightly? And is the neutral white actually white or a bit on the warmer side?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Can we stop arguing about this petty glue issue/theory and move on? It's seriously getting stupid and so worthless. Focus on the main issue here which is to facilitate and help the users in getting perfect or at least close to perfect phones because we've all paid a hefty price for it.

So you are agreeing with my post?

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
So you are agreeing with my post?

Not agreeing with anyone. Just stating the fact that we should behave like mature adults and move on and focus on the REAL issue instead of hypothesizing or arguing over something which is so useless.

Yunklucy00

Suspended
Oct 17, 2018
3 units iPhone xs max 512gb with all different problems each one comes with a issue like glue between the band and screen.
Yellow screen issue or signal issues and scratch issues even worst dents on the charging ports.

unit one week 34 build issue was signal issue,yellow screen issue and glue between the band.
unit two week 39 build issue was large gap between the screen and scratch on the screen/dent on charger port. NO yellow screen.
unit three week 38 build issue sharp and rough edges on the screen side and a terrible yellow screen issue again.

Will update the fouth unit next Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
There is always something with the new iPhone. Fortunately, this time my screen is perfect on the Xs, but battery health already dropped to 99% in freaking 2 weeks of use.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Not boding too well in me wanting to order a replacement unit from the posts I'm seeing here. Was kinda hoping this would start to taper off a little bit.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Not agreeing with anyone. Just stating the fact that we should behave like mature adults and move on and focus on the REAL issue instead of hypothesizing or arguing over something which is so useless.

You're assuming everyone on here is a mature adult.....
[doublepost=1539807137][/doublepost]

Then move along.

Actually I experienced it on a number of devices. Primarily iPads, where half the screen had a yellow tint which subsided when I left the screen on a white screen, full brightness, wrapped in a towel for 24 hours.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
You're assuming everyone on here is a mature adult.....
[doublepost=1539807137][/doublepost]

Actually I experienced it on a number of devices. Primarily iPads, where half the screen had a yellow tint which subsided when I left the screen on a white screen, full brightness, wrapped in a towel for 24 hours.

Even if it really went away, which it didn't, it doesn't mean its "Glue". See my point? you don't know. You are making it up as you go along.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Even if it really went away, which it didn't, it doesn't mean its "Glue". See my point? you don't know. You are making it up as you go along.

Of course, my mistake, I believe some kid on the internet rather than my own eyes. The big wide world is gonna be a shock for you I can tell.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
[doublepost=1539801400][/doublepost]

Does it shift blue by tilting slightly? And is the neutral white actually white or a bit on the warmer side?

It takes more than a slight tilt. Par for the course for OLED phones. It isn't piss yellow and there's no warm-ish stain when viewing head-on that goes away at a slight angle like my original phone had. What I consider to be normal could be considered warm by others. I use a colorimeter to calibrate my TVs and monitors and feel I have a good eye as to what white should look like, and this phone is white.

antisomnic

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2012
Rochester, NY
I’m noticing the same thing but I think it has something to do with True Tone. I have the Max and I came from the 8 plus and the screen seems more yellow. Like others have said If I turn it even slightly it’s blue again.

However If I turn True Tone off it goes back to blue.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Of course, my mistake, I believe some kid on the internet rather than my own eyes. The big wide world is gonna be a shock for you I can tell.

Lol still not getting it huh, kiddo?

Weather or not the yellow went away is irrelevant. if it did, did not, doesn't matter.

What matters is that you are assuming the yellow substance, whatever it is, is GLUE.

You have zero knowledge of what material it is or isn't.

Zero.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Lol still not getting it huh, kiddo?

Weather or not the yellow went away is irrelevant. if it did, did not, doesn't matter.

What matters is that you are assuming the yellow substance, whatever it is, is GLUE.

You have zero knowledge of what material it is or isn't.

Zero.

Oh I get it now son.... basically, your argument is “you’re naming it wrong”. Just being pedantic because we use the term “glue” instead of “optical bonding adhesive” or something similar. Sorry I missed it, I’m too used to constructive adult conversation where people actually have a real point.
[doublepost=1539840353][/doublepost]
The 4 is the only phone that had glue issues and that was spots not a uniform coating.

Unfortunately that one incident has created an army of glue zombies insisting it’s the answer to everything.

I’m not going to accept that every phone manuf in the world can make their phones without yellow glue except Apple.

That isn’t glue...

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
It's not the yellow that's killing me, it's the color shift that seems extreme. I had an XS originally and it was a good display with minimal color shift. I decided I wanted the Max instead for video. Problem is, both Max's I've had (I'm on the 2nd) has insane color shift. I'm talking about tilting just a few degrees turns the bottom from normal warm white to a brighter yellow almost green, with the top going more pink. There's no angle where the whole screen is actually the same color, and it's insane how the tone of white is changing with the slightest angle. Don't get me wrong, it's not as if a few degrees turns it overwhelmingly yellow or pink, but you can see the tone of white take completely different colors with the slightest movement.

Yes, I know OLED's have some level of shift, but so far this is more annoying than even my pixel 2...

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
How is my screen? Do I have a good one??

Attachments

• C14B66B7-393A-494E-970A-7A25489F7B09.jpeg
    C14B66B7-393A-494E-970A-7A25489F7B09.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 206
  • DA29901E-EC29-4DD5-ABC4-430DC5458AFC.jpeg
    DA29901E-EC29-4DD5-ABC4-430DC5458AFC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
  • 5200A4BC-C058-4F7E-B3A2-29A5188010BE.jpeg
    5200A4BC-C058-4F7E-B3A2-29A5188010BE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 210

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I went in 3 different stores today and looked at 10+ iPhone XS models. After viewing them for almost 2 hours every single one of them looked exactly the same (one might have been EVER so slightly more cooler...almost unnoticeable unless you are trying to look for it). Most were F2 serials and one was FK and another was G2 I think. All of them had a shift to blue when viewed at an angle. Head-on view compared to angle view there was obviously a noticeable difference that head-on was a warmer calibration. With TT on there was a slight yellow but with TT off it looked more natural but def warmer than previous iPhones. I compared the XS to the X models. The X was slightly cooler. I then compared it to the LCD model iPhone 8 which was noticeable cooler than the XS models.

My conclusion. There obviously were some phones out there that were far more "yellow" than others because of manufacturer tolerances. However, the XS models have switched to a warmer calibration. So regardless your phone will have a slightly "yellow" warmer calibration to it when compared to previous models. The Apple Tech I talked to said it will make whites seem cream colored if you are still use to viewing a cooler screened iPhone...of course I didnt believe them but from all my research it seems they are indeed a warmer calibration now than previous models. I highly doubt anyone has an XS model that matches calibration of an LCD panel iPhone.

TLDR:
iPhone XS & XS MAX (OLED Panel) = Warmer calibration...should be slightly more "yellow" when compared to prev models
iPhone X (OLED Panel) = Slightly cooler than XS models...for the most part the same
iPhone 8 (LCD Panel) = *Noticeably* more cooler screen than XS models...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.