Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Its not software, its loose manuf. tolerance around launch that allows for yellow screens to be "within spec".

Other manufs are stricter on QC. Plain and simple.
But aren’t the screen coming from Samsung? Or is apple lying and they are actually from LG.... Who knows but like I said not seeing it on other phones that using OLED.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Its not software, its loose manuf. tolerance around launch that allows for yellow screens to be "within spec".

Apple are individually calibrating the screens (or so they say), so it’s probably software. Besides, you don’t know if the screens are in spec or not, only Apple do. All you know is they are different to other screens, which to be honest you can say about any screen in any Apple device.

Reactions: bevsb2

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
My iPhone 6 was very yellow when i first got it, but it was normal at the time as the glue or bonding material slowly turned more transparent when "hardening" weeks after manufacturing.

Having said that, i have had my iPhone XS for 3 weeks now and it is just as yellow as when i got it. Painful to watch, and as the OP said, viewing it even for 1° angles it directly changes to a very blue tint.

So, reading this post, it will again be a lottery if i would return it and who knows what kind of screen quality i would get next time.

Addeso90

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
Replaced my iphone XS space gray to a XS gold and the new one are miles better, like night and day definitely a keeper!

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
My iPhone 6 was very yellow when i first got it, but it was normal at the time as the glue or bonding material slowly turned more transparent when "hardening" weeks after manufacturing.

Having said that, i have had my iPhone XS for 3 weeks now and it is just as yellow as when i got it. Painful to watch, and as the OP said, viewing it even for 1° angles it directly changes to a very blue tint.

So, reading this post, it will again be a lottery if i would return it and who knows what kind of screen quality i would get next time.

LOL been debunked many times, its never been glue. Your eyes adjusted.

People are dying to believe that Apple and only Apple uses some kind of yellow glue that turns more clear over time. Every single other manufacturer on earth has figured out how to make a screen without using this mystery yellow glue but Apple, the glue warriors would have us believe.

Apple likes money. Apple knows its customers won't question it. It loosens tolerances at launch and allows for a greater % of abnormal/defective calibrations to allow for greater yields. Customers say "thank you can i have another?". Other manufs can't get away with it, but Apple can. Unless we wake the F up and demand Apple straighten up.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
LOL been debunked many times, its never been glue. Your eyes adjusted.
Firstly, i never said it was 100% a glues fault, i said glue or bonding material. Secondly, i have never ever seen someone claim it is only screens on Apple devices, i am a member of many hardware forums and i see threads almost daily about people having yellow or blue tint issues on almost all devices from all manufacturers (is "People are dying to believe that Apple and only Apple uses..." some weird concoction of your imagination?).

No, my eyes does not adjust or get used to it, some people may get used to it or don't notice, people like me (and there is alot of us) actually have working eyes and can actually use them properly. For the iPhone 6, we bought 2 iPhone 6 when they launched, both where incredible yellow and both looked the same when they where brand new, there was absolutely no way of getting even close to white light emission on any of them. 2 weeks in and my iPhone 6 was noticeable better at producing closer to whites while the other iPhone 6 stayed as yellow as it was out of the box, 2 weeks in and 2 iPhones that looked identically yellow out of the box looked completely different 2 weeks in, side by side, one was perceived as white (using a white background, yes, it wasn't obviously pure white but...) the other one looked yellow and was horrible to look at pictures with. (also i took a photo of them side by side daily when threads about the yellow tint issues surfaced and its clear as day that my phone got rid of the yellow tint faster than the other, so please reply that "Your cmos sensor adjusted during the 2 week period", hint: a sensor is not biased...)

So, pretty easy to debunk your theory when 2 different devices behaved very differently side by side. Don't believe "debunk" stories or articles, most of them uses a sample size of 1-10 devices and then claim "our test of 1 device had none of the reported issues therefore no other of the hundreds of millions of devices have this issues either".

Its very easy to see the yellow main tint on my XS and the blue hue when viewing from angels, huge difference between my iPhone and my friends X and XS.

Your eyes maybe adjusts, your brain maybe don't care about color tint, you maybe have ****** eyes, maybe you as a person has poor observation skills, so don't speak for everyone.

So many threads about people complaining about this issue and you still think people just making these things up for fun?

Also, please explain: I said my iPhone XS is just as yellow as when i got it, my eyes have clearly NOT adopted as you claim they should have by now, completely invalidating your theory that my eyes adapts.

Adhesives that has a yellow tint and more transparent after completely drying is not a myth, i have no idea where you got that idea from, i say its pretty normal for transparent liquids to be either tinted or opaque/cloudy before drying, one good example of this is alot of epoxy versions, they can be completely yellow and non transparent when applying and then become clear transparent after drying.

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Firstly, i never said it was 100% a glues fault, i said glue or bonding material. Secondly, i have never ever seen someone claim it is only screens on Apple devices, i am a member of many hardware forums and i see threads almost daily about people having yellow or blue tint issues on almost all devices from all manufacturers (is "People are dying to believe that Apple and only Apple uses..." some weird concoction of your imagination?).

No, my eyes does not adjust or get used to it, some people may get used to it or don't notice, people like me (and there is alot of us) actually have working eyes and can actually use them properly. For the iPhone 6, we bought 2 iPhone 6 when they launched, both where incredible yellow and both looked the same when they where brand new, there was absolutely no way of getting even close to white light emission on any of them. 2 weeks in and my iPhone 6 was noticeable better at producing closer to whites while the other iPhone 6 stayed as yellow as it was out of the box, 2 weeks in and 2 iPhones that looked identically yellow out of the box looked completely different 2 weeks in, side by side, one was perceived as white (using a white background, yes, it wasn't obviously pure white but...) the other one looked yellow and was horrible to look at pictures with. (also i took a photo of them side by side daily when threads about the yellow tint issues surfaced and its clear as day that my phone got rid of the yellow tint faster than the other, so please reply that "Your cmos sensor adjusted during the 2 week period", hint: a sensor is not biased...)

So, pretty easy to debunk your theory when 2 different devices behaved very differently side by side. Don't believe "debunk" stories or articles, most of them uses a sample size of 1-10 devices and then claim "our test of 1 device had none of the reported issues therefore no other of the hundreds of millions of devices have this issues either".

Its very easy to see the yellow main tint on my XS and the blue hue when viewing from angels, huge difference between my iPhone and my friends X and XS.

Your eyes maybe adjusts, your brain maybe don't care about color tint, you maybe have ****** eyes, maybe you as a person has poor observation skills, so don't speak for everyone.

So many threads about people complaining about this issue and you still think people just making these things up for fun?

Also, please explain: I said my iPhone XS is just as yellow as when i got it, my eyes have clearly NOT adopted as you claim they should have by now, completely invalidating your theory that my eyes adapts.

Adhesives that has a yellow tint and more transparent after completely drying is not a myth, i have no idea where you got that idea from, i say its pretty normal for transparent liquids to be either tinted or opaque/cloudy before drying, one good example of this is alot of epoxy versions, they can be completely yellow and non transparent when applying and then become clear transparent after drying.

Sincere post / comment I'm making here, not insulting in any way. How can there be this mystery "adhesive or glue" underneath the - entire - display making it yellow tinged? It makes no sense. Can't believe this is still a theory. Adhesive is applied around the edges of the screen of the iPhone X and likely XS is the same. Have a look at the iFixit teardown and display assembly replacement pages:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+X+Teardown/98975

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+X+Display+Assembly+Replacement/101648

Here is a video showing how to replace the adhesive dating back to iPhone 6S:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+Display+Adhesive+Replacement/93983

Here is a link to purchase iPhone X display adhesive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-X-Display-Assembly-Adhesive/IF377-048-1

My opinion is there is no glue or adhesive problem with the bad screens. It's all FUD since at least the iPhone 6S. There are QC, LCD, and OLED problems with bad screens.

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Sincere post / comment I'm making here, not insulting in any way. How can there be this mystery "adhesive or glue" underneath the - entire - display making it yellow tinged? It makes no sense. Can't believe this is still a theory. Adhesive is applied around the edges of the screen of the iPhone X and likely XS is the same. Have a look at the iFixit teardown and display assembly replacement pages:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-X-Display-Assembly-Adhesive/IF377-048-1

My opinion is there is no glue or adhesive problem with the bad screens. It's all FUD since at least the iPhone 6S. There are QC, LCD, and OLED problems with bad screens.

Good post, can't believe people still by the glue myth.

I'l reiterate: lax QC with a wider range of "in spec" at launch to drive up yields/stock. And they will 100% keep doing it until people revolt.

What would cause the people to revolt? Exposure by a respected source like MacRumors or Verge.

Reactions: Yunklucy00

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
All of you dismissing comments about glue do know that the screen and glass have been laminated on all iPhone models since the 4? And you do know what lamination is and how it works right?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
All of you dismissing comments about glue do know that the screen and glass have been laminated on all iPhone models since the 4? And you do know what lamination is and how it works right?

The 4 is the only phone that had glue issues and that was spots not a uniform coating.

Unfortunately that one incident has created an army of glue zombies insisting it’s the answer to everything.

I’m not going to accept that every phone manuf in the world can make their phones without yellow glue except Apple.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Not this adhesive, the one used to laminate the glass to the screen.

Reactions: Harthag

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro

process_ill08.gif

http://www.takatori-g.co.jp/english/products/products_liquid/process.html

Your argument is pretty wrong, though I don’t believe what people are seeing is due to adhesive changing color.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Just saw a Gold XS Max shop demo set with serial G6TX8... (China, Shenzhen, 20.08 - 26.08) that looks great.
Not that I'm sure whether factory and production week matter or not.

Most shop demo sets I saw are C38 or C39, all with some variance, but better than a DNP I had and returned.

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
You are working for Apple how many years?

Oh boy, it was just a personal advice. I played the screen lottery every single year since the iPhone 4S. This time i was just too lazy and sick of ordering and returning. And it turned out for me as a good decision because the screen definetely changed over the first weeks. If you don't believe me... well. I can live with that.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I bought a mint XS Max from someone and it is the best that I’ve seen. Still has a warm calibration but it’s the least aggressive that I’ve seen and has the least aggressive color shift when moving the phone (and colors seem more saturated too). I’m kinda sad to see my XS go as I loved the form factor but a good deal on the XS Max and near perfect screen sealed the deal for me. Happy hunting every!

got a pic?
[doublepost=1539767758][/doublepost]
Haha i think it was a placebo, mines still warm i have given up now lol
you never made a return?
[doublepost=1539768721][/doublepost]
Did that already, and with true tone off its pure white like it should be. For what its worth (for those tracking this sort of thing) my SN starts with F2, and the MFG Date is XF (build date of 9/16-9/22)
is your "pure white" a little creame?
[doublepost=1539769506][/doublepost]
Decided to try again with the XS because I’m not getting an Xr. Third phone overall and looks as good as I’ve seen so far. Not overly yellow with some shift to just blue at angles. That’s what I want. Using the link above the phone was manufactured 9/30-10/6. So maybe there’s starting to be some improvement on recent builds as some have said. Happy to be done and can enjoy the phone.
is it still warmer looking than the LCD screens or the previous X model?

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018

well given that it is possible to change color temp in software its not entirely a hardware tolerance issue.

Tomtank78

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
Hey peeps still not got my perfect iPhone XS Max 256gb grey ordered online Apple store UK Launch day September 14th 2018.
1. Device arrived 21st September came with a big gap by the screen and the worst yellow tone screen looks like my tea stain table asked for another replacement quoted date was 27th September.

2.Replacement arrived on the 27th September morning this one came with dust under camera lens and another yellow display this time I phoned up Apple customer service they ask me to take it my local Apple store to have it replaced.
I said no I want a brand new retail box not a white box device replacement setup again for 7th October.

3. Replacement arrived on the 8th October once again I have a nice perfect screen this time.
I have dents on the side of the phone and big gaps again phoned up Apple customer service yet again this time they wanted pictures replacement yet again for 16th October.

4.Replacement arrived 16th October this one has yellow screen with rough edges again with a nice dead pixel under the screen guessing I need another replacement at this rate not getting a good perfect phone till next year.

Do Apple even have a Quality control at all this is the worst since the iPhone 5

I do not agree with the glue drying BS reason being why my iPhone 7 and iPhone X has the best white screen even with True tone ON don't feed me this crap.

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
got a pic?
[doublepost=1539767758][/doublepost]
you never made a return?
[doublepost=1539768721][/doublepost]
is your "pure white" a little creame?
[doublepost=1539769506][/doublepost]
is it still warmer looking than the LCD screens or the previous X model?

Here's a photo of mine, make of it what you will. Some refraction due to glass screen protector but you get an idea of white. Looks neutral white to me. The prior two that I tried were also similar but had a drastic color shift at the slightest angle to pink then blue, and it was very distracting. This one doesn't shift as much and when it does shift it is just blue which is far less distracting to me.

XS 2.jpg

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The 4 is the only phone that had glue issues and that was spots not a uniform coating.

Unfortunately that one incident has created an army of glue zombies insisting it’s the answer to everything.

I’m not going to accept that every phone manuf in the world can make their phones without yellow glue except Apple.
Hey peeps still not got my perfect iPhone XS Max 256gb grey ordered online Apple store UK Launch day September 14th 2018.
1. Device arrived 21st September came with a big gap by the screen and the worst yellow tone screen looks like my tea stain table asked for another replacement quoted date was 27th September.

2.Replacement arrived on the 27th September morning this one came with dust under camera lens and another yellow display this time I phoned up Apple customer service they ask me to take it my local Apple store to have it replaced.
I said no I want a brand new retail box not a white box device replacement setup again for 7th October.

3. Replacement arrived on the 8th October once again I have a nice perfect screen this time.
I have dents on the side of the phone and big gaps again phoned up Apple customer service yet again this time they wanted pictures replacement yet again for 16th October.

4.Replacement arrived 16th October this one has yellow screen with rough edges again with a nice dead pixel under the screen guessing I need another replacement at this rate not getting a good perfect phone till next year.

Do Apple even have a Quality control at all this is the worst since the iPhone 5

I do not agree with the glue drying BS reason being why my iPhone 7 and iPhone X has the best white screen even with True tone ON don't feed me this crap.

Whilst you are free to have your opinions, debunking something based purely on the fact you've never experienced it is a little closed-minded don't you think?

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
Here's a photo of mine, make of it what you will. Some refraction due to glass screen protector but you get an idea of white. Looks neutral white to me. The prior two that I tried were also similar but had a drastic color shift at the slightest angle to pink then blue, and it was very distracting. This one doesn't shift as much and when it does shift it is just blue which is far less distracting to me.

View attachment 795845

Quick question, does your replacement unit have any charging/LTE/WiFi/reception/earpiece audio issues? Also, according to your serial number, which build is it (week)?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Quick question, does your replacement unit have any charging/LTE/WiFi/reception/earpiece audio issues? Also, according to your serial number, which build is it (week)?
No issues at all (yet). My original phone had the earpiece speaker issue. Serial is G0 and build week is 9/30 - 10/6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.