Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Pretty much all the Xs/Xs Max phones are warmer than the X/LCD iPhones before it...it seems by design. If you get one without issues just keep it...slap a color filter with zero intensity and it doesn’t mess with other colors if you get it right...at least in my experience.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Beta 4, no change. I had my Max against an X yesterday and with True Tone off they were near identical for white. But with True Tone on my max was way warmer. Also my max turns blue much faster off angle which looks bad when the screen is more yellow.

shimpster

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
So when I first read through this thread I thought "crap" I have this issue to. However I found that mine changes under certain lightning conditions, when I am in a low light environment (my coworkers keep the lights off in the office) its has a slight yellow tint to it almost like a mild night shift, and when I am in a bright light environment its a pure paper white. Just my $.02 worth, and glad I didn't get a dude which it looks like there are more the normal this year.

khalitzy

macrumors regular
May 21, 2016
So when I first read through this thread I thought "crap" I have this issue to. However I found that mine changes under certain lightning conditions, when I am in a low light environment (my coworkers keep the lights off in the office) its has a slight yellow tint to it almost like a mild night shift, and when I am in a bright light environment its a pure paper white. Just my $.02 worth, and glad I didn't get a dude which it looks like there are more the normal this year.
do you have true tone on?

shimpster

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
That’s why lol. Try turning it off and observe it’s yellowish still. That’s what everyone is talkin about here. The display having a yellowish tinge despite true tone and night shift being disabled.
Did that already, and with true tone off its pure white like it should be. For what its worth (for those tracking this sort of thing) my SN starts with F2, and the MFG Date is XF (build date of 9/16-9/22)

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Had the same problems with my XS Max. At first it seemed more yellow than my X. Decided to keep the XS Max anyway. Sold my X. Two weeks later i met a friend with a XS. Compared the screens. With TT on and TT off both looked IDENTICAL in direct comparison. Same white. So no complaints here. Yesterday i met a friend with an X. As i had compared my X to his X before i knew his X was a tiny little bit cooler in screen tone than my X was. And guess what, comparing my XS Max to his X resulted in having both phones look IDENTICAL. My XS Max was no more yellow. I did not make any screen adjustments. I compared TT on and TT off and XS Max to X always stayed identical.

So my advice is to stay with it for a while and see it the OLED screen changes tint and "clears up".

Last edited:

khalitzy

macrumors regular
May 21, 2016
Did that already, and with true tone off its pure white like it should be. For what its worth (for those tracking this sort of thing) my SN starts with F2, and the MFG Date is XF (build date of 9/16-9/22)
how do I find my MFG date and/or build date? My SN starts with F2 as well..

shimpster

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
The first two digits denote the build location, the fourth and fifth digit combined give you the build date. Someone posted a chart in one of the threads about the reception issues.
screenshot-www-3u-com-2018-10-09-12-58-27-png.793507

khalitzy

macrumors regular
May 21, 2016
The first two digits denote the build location, the fourth and fifth digit combined give you the build date. Someone posted a chart in one of the threads about the reception issues.
screenshot-www-3u-com-2018-10-09-12-58-27-png.793507
oh mine is built in the same momth as yours just from 9/2 to 9/8

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
Just to be clear, is blue shift occurring for EVERYONE? I mean, does it happen with perfect iPhone X/Xs/Xs Max displays as well? And what about the Samsung Galaxy series?

I'm asking this because my Xs Max has VERY SLIGHTLY yellow (warmer) display with TT and night shift OFF (only noticeable at night mostly) and when I tilt it just a bit, it does show a blu-er tint. However, it is a lot brighter than all the display units I've checked in a non-Apple store near to me.
SN starts with F2, and the MFG date is XD (build date of 9/9-15/9).

Do you think I should go back to the Apple Store to exchange/refund? I've heard the latest builds (October) are better in terms of this. I have a huge OCD for things like these, but I don't wanna end up in multiple other issues (charging/LTE/WiFi/bluetooth) with the replacement so what do you guys suggest?

Last edited:

khalitzy

macrumors regular
May 21, 2016
Just to be clear, is blue shift occurring for EVERYONE? I mean, does it happen with perfect iPhone X/Xs/Xs Max displays as well? And what about the Samsung Galaxy series?

I'm asking this because my Xs Max has VERY SLIGHTLY yellow (warmer) display with TT and night shift OFF (only noticeable at night mostly) and when I tilt it just a bit, it does show a blu-er tint. However, it is a lot brighter than all the display units I've checked in a non-Apple store near to me.
SN starts with F2, and the MFG date is XD (build date of 9/9-15/9) (week 37).

Do you think I should go back to the Apple Store to exchange/refund? I've heard the latest builds (week 39) are better in terms of this. I have a huge OCD for things like these, but I don't wanna end up in multiple other issues (charging/LTE/WiFi/bluetooth) with the replacement so what do you guys suggest?
I have the same shift as you but my display is noticeably yellowish even outdoors :/. Mine is week 11th lol

shimpster

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
I have the same shift as you but my display is noticeably yellowish even outdoors :/. Mine is week 11th lol
with TT on, and in low and warm light environments I get the same shift to white when I turn the phone to the right or left. But as previously stated my display with TT off is a crisp perfect white.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Decided to try again with the XS because I’m not getting an Xr. Third phone overall and looks as good as I’ve seen so far. Not overly yellow with some shift to just blue at angles. That’s what I want. Using the link above the phone was manufactured 9/30-10/6. So maybe there’s starting to be some improvement on recent builds as some have said. Happy to be done and can enjoy the phone.

garymontague

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I purchased a second one which arrived today so that I can compare the screens as I wasn’t quite happy with my original one.

The new one is an F2 and manufacture was XF.

The new phone is just slightly warmer (probably wouldn’t notice if I didn’t have them side by side) and not quite so bright (again probably wouldn’t notice).

But the key difference being that it takes more of a tilt for the blue shift to happen. This for me makes all the difference as with my original phone the slightest tilt and the screen would shift blue which was quite distracting (and maybe the reason my eyes couldn’t adjust to the warmer screen compared to my X as I kept seeing warm then cool all the time).

Hopefully this holds true as I’m going to be using it all day tomorrow when I have to decide if I am sending my original one back as the deadline for Apple to receive it by is Friday.

xrussx

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
I purchased a second one which arrived today so that I can compare the screens as I wasn’t quite happy with my original one.

The new one is an F2 and manufacture was XF.

The new phone is just slightly warmer (probably wouldn’t notice if I didn’t have them side by side) and not quite so bright (again probably wouldn’t notice).

But the key difference being that it takes more of a tilt for the blue shift to happen. This for me makes all the difference as with my original phone the slightest tilt and the screen would shift blue which was quite distracting (and maybe the reason my eyes couldn’t adjust to the warmer screen compared to my X as I kept seeing warm then cool all the time).

Hopefully this holds true as I’m going to be using it all day tomorrow when I have to decide if I am sending my original one back as the deadline for Apple to receive it by is Friday.

Is the fifth letter F?

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
Ok, this is intereting. Why would Apple move to a screen that is so unstable? Maybe OLED has some advantages, say better blacks. But looking at the screen and seeing how it always changes from cooler to warmer tones just like that...strange. Why is this screen better? I think XS would have been better with the LCD screen

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Ok, this is intereting. Why would Apple move to a screen that is so unstable? Maybe OLED has some advantages, say better blacks. But looking at the screen and seeing how it always changes from cooler to warmer tones just like that...strange. Why is this screen better? I think XS would have been better with the LCD screen
Its apple not the OLED screen. The warmer tone is coming from apple software........Pixel 3 OLED screen does not have this issue.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015

They switched because the screen is thinner, uses less energy, and fewer moving parts than an LCD to fail. And when properly made, can produce a much better and realistic image. That being said, Apple probably has a tolerance they can accept and has been said before, the number of exchanged in the bigger scheme of things is probably acceptable. Especially when the ones that get returned likely will end up in the Genius Bar for refurb replacement units. These aren't a total loss to them.

But paying what we pay for these things, it's a bit irritating to play the lotto. I got 2 on launch and one out of the box was scratched. The other is noticeably more yellow than my X from last year. So I've got a return setup and will order a replacement. Hoping for a better unit, but if not, I'll simply stay with the one that I have currently. Not ideal, but better than some of what others have posted on here. You can buy a nice 4k TV set for what these Max units go for. Kinda crazy we pay this, but Apple has our number, haha.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Its apple not the OLED screen. The warmer tone is coming from apple software........Pixel 3 OLED screen does not have this issue.

Its not software, its loose manuf. tolerance around launch that allows for yellow screens to be "within spec".

Other manufs are stricter on QC. Plain and simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.