Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Everyone complaining about a yellowish tint to the display should read up on exposure to blue light being linked to causing macular degeneration (degeneration of the iris) (aka going blind).

Apple is doing you a favor tinting these screens intentionally away from blue. They are well aware of the relationship of blue light and MG.

Personally I keep my older phone with Night Shift permanently on all the time. The slider control almost to halfway. At first when turning it on, the screen color seems very warm, but once your eyes adjust to it in a short while, it looks natural.

Then when you turn Night Shift off — the screen looks WAY too blue... because you've gotten used to the warmer color.

Everyone do your retinas a favor and KEEP TRUE TONE ON. Turning it off is more damaging to the eyes.
Apple may have obfuscated the real reason why they're warming up the display color, telling everyone it's done to create a more natural look, when in reality they're probably yellowing the screens to minimize damaging millions of people's eyes.
Yes!

xrussx

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Thought on this? Left is X and Max is right. TT off. 100% Brightness.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 391

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

So I have the same thing you do (phone on the right side). I asked Apple support online to run a diagnostic and they told me everything came back normal. Before doing that I went to the Apple store near me and looked at each color of the iPhone XS Max on display (black, gold, white) and checked them side-by-side with the same settings.

I also asked an Apple store employee to take a look, and we compared his phone, the store phones, and my iPhone XS Max and the display I have is brighter, but it seems like there is something of a yellow tint to it. I don't know how to explain it, it's very subtle.

What I'm hypothesizing is that it's a different display, and there is just a noticeable difference with the display.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
The best screen I had today tried again third time is a charm keeping this one sick of playing the screen lottery game. True Tone on (Serial number factory FK)
Week 39 build

Definitely one of the best I have seen. It's not perfect. If you quickly cast your eye from top to bottom you can see there is a variation in tint. But overall this is so much better than most I have seen. Congrats!

Reactions: John webstar44

John webstar44

Suspended
May 9, 2018
Definitely one of the best I have seen. It's not perfect. If you quickly cast your eye from top to bottom you can see there is a variation in tint. But overall this is so much better than most I have seen. Congrats!

Thanks not even at full brightness been through enough this year to much time consuming looking for a perfect device.

I had a perfect white one screen second phone replacement had small gaps around the screen, rough edges around the thin plastic bezel and a tiny gap between the bottom and steel band. I could fit the edge of a piece of paper in and signal issues you cannot win I could be going on and on.

I went through 10 iPhone 6 swaps in 2014 for issues wasn't funny experience to be honest that experience I had put me off upgrading for 3 years. lol
(Light bleed,dead pixels,stuck pixels,dust under camera lens.)

Happy with this device at the moment excellent build no dead pixels,no gaps,no scuffs,no piss yellow screen,no battery issues,LTE speeds great on par with my iphone x, no wifi issues,no reboots.

Apple quality control has gone terrible its like a lottery my iPhone x was perfect on the first try.
[doublepost=1539459972][/doublepost]
I found a great screen on my 4th attempt (Max 512 GB). I found a sales associate that knew about the yellow "warmer" issue and told me that she would be happy to exchange until we found one that was uniform and not yellow.

Now...the 3rd phone could have been a good one, but the sales associate dropped it out of the box! So, #4 was the winner.

My 1st was uneven (yellow top/pink bottom), the 2nd was pink on top but better yellow, 3rd was dropped and actually looked pretty good. The 4th is uniform and does not look yellow until night shift is on (where it is suppose to be warmer).

I told her I would pay even more to not have to play the screen lottery every year!

lol, Your lucky to be honest you got someone to help you out here in the uk Apple staff and people around the shop think your crazy you definitely get some funny looks.
I tend to do my apple purchase online now and or visit the apple store early in the morning without looking like a nutjob saying can you see the screen is yellow and a little scratch on my screen people will like what a picky customer.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Does a glass screen protector make the blue tint when turning the screen worse? I feel like I barely turn off center and the color shift is bad.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I was a color matcher for an automotive paint manufacturer for nearly 20 years and after all these years I can say with almost 100 percent certainty that everyone sees color a little differently. I not saying people who are having yellow screens aren't having a problem, but I would suspect that they are more susceptible in seeing the screen to be more yellow than a lot of people. I remember onetime I bought a brand new black truck and parked in front of my friend's house that I was visiting. Another friend walked in and said "Nice blue truck you have there, John". I looked at him crazy and said "It's black, not blue - but thanks anyways". "Well, it looks blue to me" replied my friend. So I looked out the window and sure enough it did look blue, but the reason was it was parked under a street lamp and the light was giving it a bluish look to it. My point is that just because someone sees yellow doesn't mean another person will see it yellow or as strong of a yellow. Some people also might compensate the yellow in their mind and naturally perceive it to be white, for they know it's supposed to be white. I think that is why Apple has a problem with the "yellow tint" problem and probably will always have this problem. Just my .02 cents

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I was a color matcher for an automotive paint manufacturer for nearly 20 years and after all these years I can say with almost 100 percent certainty that everyone sees color a little differently. I not saying people who are having yellow screens aren't having a problem, but I would suspect that they are more susceptible in seeing the screen to be more yellow than a lot of people. I remember onetime I bought a brand new black truck and parked in front of my friend's house that I was visiting. Another friend walked in and said "Nice blue truck you have there, John". I looked at him crazy and said "It's black, not blue - but thanks anyways". "Well, it looks blue to me" replied my friend. So I looked out the window and sure enough it did look blue, but the reason was it was parked under a street lamp and the light was giving it a bluish look to it. My point is that just because someone sees yellow doesn't mean another person will see it yellow or as strong of a yellow. Some people also might compensate the yellow in their mind and naturally perceive it to be white, for they know it's supposed to be white. I think that is why Apple has a problem with the "yellow tint" problem and probably will always have this problem. Just my .02 cents

I agree with you, and after changing the tint a bit in my phone it looks better. It’s just a little scary for people dropping $1000+ on a iPhone they want a perfect looking screen. For me as long as a diagnostic says the screen is correct then I trust the instruments over my eyes.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I agree with you, and after changing the tint a bit in my phone it looks better. It’s just a little scary for people dropping $1000+ on a iPhone they want a perfect looking screen. For me as long as a diagnostic says the screen is correct then I trust the instruments over my eyes.

Dropping $1,000+ for a phone is scary enough. Even with a functional display. :apple:

Daniel1986

Suspended
Oct 12, 2018
Dropping $1,000+ for a phone is scary enough. Even with a functional display. :apple:

Or dropping a $1500+ With Applecare S Cycle Upgrade for a phone with coffee stains screen looking more terrible than my old iPhone X I call that a big downgrade cycle.

I don't blame people in here for swapping phones Apple quality control has gone sour since iPhone 5.
iPhone 3G Perfect first try
iPhone 3GS Perfect first try
iPhone 4 Perfect first try
The problems started on iPhone 5 scuffs taking me over 5 exchanges.
iPhone 5s didn't purchase one.
iPhone 6 4 exchanges due to dust camera lens and screen.
iPhone 7 I didn't even bother to purchase one.
iPhone X perfect first try was a shock to me.
iPhone XS Max 4 exchanges.

Will be running my iphone X and XS Max till 2021.

Last edited:

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
I’ve tried 3 XSes. All “DN” serials and all consistently slightly yellow. Even the nice Apple Store Sales staff agrees. Decided to opt for refund and be back at this lottery a month or 2 later. Good luck all.
[doublepost=1539500500][/doublepost]
I’ve tried 3 Xes. All “DN” serials and all consistently slightly yellow. Even the nice Apple Store Sales staff agrees. Decided to opt for refund and be back at this lottery a month or 2 later. Good luck all.
And staff mentioned he wil feedback to management and find out if they would be doing calibrations in store thru Genius. I’m not optimistic though.

Last edited:

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
The issue here is the wide variances among the XSes. There is not a single standard calibration. For all we know, those cooler ones are the ones “defective”. Lol.
[doublepost=1539347165][/doublepost]
Yes, I think this happens to a certain degree with LCD screens in older iPhones as well, even without TT.

hmm idk i just need to figure out if my phone is good or not before THUR

[doublepost=1539509594][/doublepost]
Well I ended up having to do get a replacement after mine getting badly damaged (long story). Any thoughts on this screen? I'm kind of numb to it now I guess and can't tell what's white anymore lol. TT and Auto Brightness off.

View attachment 794299
it looks good but the problem i noticed was with camera white balance it can alter it just enough to make it so we dont see what you see RAW. That is why I did a video...which even then wasnt 100% but it was the closet representation to what I was seeing. but like I was saying with the photo i could real time see the auto white balance change my iphone from looking PURE white to yellow.
[doublepost=1539510426][/doublepost]
x seems cooler than XS MAX

Addeso90

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
Also got yellow tint on my screen. I need to go back to Apple store within how many days?
7 days old IPhone XS..

Daniel1986

Suspended
Oct 12, 2018
didn't buy it at apple store. I need to go back to the store there i buyed it, our just go to apple store shop and show the receipt?

Have Applecare+ from day 1.

Thanks for answers guys!
What country are you in?
Different country have different returns policys definitely return that phone back to the store for a full refund.
Purchase again this time in a local Apple store which you will have 14 days exchange your device without even a reason depending on your country returns/exchange policy.

Or you could do a genius swap that would be a bit hit and miss they might exchange it once just to make you happy or not and tell you your device meets apple standards and now your stuck with a device your not happy with.

Last edited:

Addeso90

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
What country are you in?
Different country have different returns policys definitely return that phone back to the store for a full refund.
Purchase again this time in a local Apple store which you will have 14 days exchange your device without even a reason depending on your country returns/exchange policy.

Or you could do a genius swap that would be a bit hit and miss they might exchange it once and tell you next time your device is fine meets apple standards.

Sweden.
Have a 90 days open buy on the phone. the problem is now i have Applecare+ on the phone (Serial number) if i gonna replace it in the store where i bought it.
Gonna call the apple store and ask, they usually be friendly and solve the problems.

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
What do you guys think? I feel like there is a VERY SLIGHT yellow-ish hue but from what I've heard, replacement will probably or MIGHT be even worse. So what should I do? Blue shift does occur when tilted even SLIGHTLY.

Attachments

• 44031739_999695370213586_355353323349475328_n.jpg
    44031739_999695370213586_355353323349475328_n.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 340
  • 44037115_290770141537174_1205977192664662016_n.jpg
    44037115_290770141537174_1205977192664662016_n.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 324

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I went to the apple store today. They were nice about swapping me out a new phone, even though they really couldn’t see what I was talking about “yellow tint”. The swap was worse. Not as bright and even more yellow toned. Let’s just say I took the phone I came in with back with me. Maybe mine is closer to the phone I’m looking for than I know... so very annoying they all aren’t the same. I don’t even know if what I’m looking for exists on the xs max. I just want the cool blue tone my 7+ has without the color tint filter applied. Atleast apple wasn’t difficult to deal with. Maybe I need to wait a couple months to see if the issue resolves to try a swap again.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I went to the apple store today. They were nice about swapping me out a new phone, even though they really couldn’t see what I was talking about “yellow tint”. The swap was worse. Not as bright and even more yellow toned. Let’s just say I took the phone I came in with back with me. Maybe mine is closer to the phone I’m looking for than I know... so very annoying they all aren’t the same. I don’t even know if what I’m looking for exists on the xs max. I just want the cool blue tone my 7+ has without the color tint filter applied. Atleast apple wasn’t difficult to deal with. Maybe I need to wait a couple months to see if the issue resolves to try a swap again.
It does exist on the XS Max, because that was the first model that I got on day one and the screen was perfect.

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
It does exist on the XS Max, because that was the first model that I got on day one and the screen was perfect.
I believe you. I tried explaining to them how people have had to swap 4+ times just to find a good one. The lottery game is not fun... it shouldn’t be so hard to get what I want. They didn’t offer to swap again either. I think they think I’m crazy and keep saying Oled is just different, every screen is different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.