Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John webstar44

Suspended
May 9, 2018
I believe you. I tried explaining to them how people have had to swap 4+ times just to find a good one. The lottery game is not fun... it shouldn’t be so hard to get what I want. They didn’t offer to swap again either. I think they think I’m crazy and keep saying Oled is just different, every screen is different.
Get refund try another apple store that what I did on my iPhone 6 days the manager came out after the 4 swap said no more that gives you a sour taste in your month imagine me going back next day doing the same thing they might label you a picky customer/problem customer. lol

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Get refund try another apple store that what I did on my iPhone 6 days the manager came out after the 4 swap said no more that gives you a sour taste in your month imagine me going back next day doing the same thing they might label you a picky customer/problem customer. lol
I bought through AT&T and past return date. Can they still refund

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
No. They aren't going to give you a refund. The only thing you can do is try for another swap (which is pointless) or just keep the device you have.
Think I’m just going to keep this device. Use the color tint if needed or just adjust to the color temp. The only thing that was bothering me with the tint on was the banner for text messages was not the tint color, it was the original color without tint. To avoid this I turned on reduce transparency so my notifications are now gray, maybe this will help someone else out.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
My 8plus vs my max. What could you guys think?????

Attachments

• E9D74FC0-9CB2-4DBD-BE7B-BDD4B06B1478.jpeg
    E9D74FC0-9CB2-4DBD-BE7B-BDD4B06B1478.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 410
  • 5F4C3F6B-E154-46E9-96F0-C2064CDAA3FF.jpeg
    5F4C3F6B-E154-46E9-96F0-C2064CDAA3FF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 410
  • B5F58135-B265-4797-B6C2-33C3E899AA7B.jpeg
    B5F58135-B265-4797-B6C2-33C3E899AA7B.jpeg
    920.5 KB · Views: 430

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I went to the apple store today. They were nice about swapping me out a new phone, even though they really couldn’t see what I was talking about “yellow tint”. The swap was worse. Not as bright and even more yellow toned. Let’s just say I took the phone I came in with back with me. Maybe mine is closer to the phone I’m looking for than I know... so very annoying they all aren’t the same. I don’t even know if what I’m looking for exists on the xs max. I just want the cool blue tone my 7+ has without the color tint filter applied. Atleast apple wasn’t difficult to deal with. Maybe I need to wait a couple months to see if the issue resolves to try a swap again.
I've seen enough devices now to say with confidence you won't get a iphone OLED that looks like the 7+. But there are good minimum yellow displays out there but they are all warm.

Reactions: DanPH77

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Think I’m just going to keep this device. Use the color tint if needed or just adjust to the color temp. The only thing that was bothering me with the tint on was the banner for text messages was not the tint color, it was the original color without tint. To avoid this I turned on reduce transparency so my notifications are now gray, maybe this will help someone else out.

I think that's a wise move. You can keep trying to find these so called "perfect" devices out there. I don't think they exist. I've seen enough of the XS Max models with different serial numbers at 3 different Apple Stores and the displays were all exactly the same as far as being what I would call "good." I did see a couple that were noticeable more yellow than some others but for the most part the screens I've seen have been pretty uniform.

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I think that's a wise move. You can keep trying to find these so called "perfect" devices out there. I don't think they exist. I've seen enough of the XS Max models with different serial numbers at 3 different Apple Stores and the displays were all exactly the same as far as being what I would call "good." I did see a couple that were noticeable more yellow than some others but for the most part the screens I've seen have been pretty uniform.
Yeah everywhere I’ve compared phones at I have yet to see a very cool toned display either. Everyone perceives color different that’s what I’ve gathered. So some might say there’s isn’t yellow tinted but they just might not see it that way. I am very sensitive to color since I deal with it daily for my job so it’s noticable to me.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I bought a mint XS Max from someone and it is the best that I’ve seen. Still has a warm calibration but it’s the least aggressive that I’ve seen and has the least aggressive color shift when moving the phone (and colors seem more saturated too). I’m kinda sad to see my XS go as I loved the form factor but a good deal on the XS Max and near perfect screen sealed the deal for me. Happy hunting every!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
12.1 beta 4 has been out for over an hour and no one has made a comment about if it changes anything about screen temp or fixes the display. You’re all losing interest :)

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
12.1 beta 4 has been out for over an hour and no one has made a comment about if it changes anything about screen temp or fixes the display. You’re all losing interest :)
Haha i think it was a placebo, mines still warm i have given up now lol

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
I tried comparing my display with a few others (not Apple Store), mine was brighter than ALL of them but SLIGHTLY yellow-ish. Should I swap? I'm confused.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Nine returns?! Are you getting hit with carrier upgrade fees every time or did you buy outright sim free?

I returned my Max and got a Xs and absolutely love the size (previous phones were 7 plus and 6 plus, nice to have a smaller phone!) but the display is as warm as the Max and this one has a pink tint that my Max did not have. I can get by with color filters but the phone has crap cell signal. I went out today and had no service where my girlfriend had a bar LTE, also getting disconnected from calls in places I never did with any of my old phones. I just don't know what to do. Maybe I return this and wait for the Xr or a used X...It's so much of a hassle to drive to Apple to return & get hit with these new $30 carrier upgrade fee's on apples iUP program...

I'm just thinking maybe there will be an update to fix the cell signal issues and warm displays? I almost think it's a sensor or something software related triggering True Tone or Night Shift even though its off...

Killer is the $45 restocking fee the carriers charge if purchased from them when exchanging or returning. :(

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
Mine is exactly the same.. Same issue
[doublepost=1539630381][/doublepost]
I tried comparing my display with a few others (not Apple Store), mine was brighter than ALL of them but SLIGHTLY yellow-ish. Should I swap? I'm confused.
Same issue with mine

khalitzy

macrumors regular
May 21, 2016
Saaame issue here. The display is so yellowish as if night shift was on on my xs max, except that it isn’t. Also true tone is off. So offputting and frustrating for a 1099$+ phone...

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Just swapped from 64 to 256 (also my first one had faceid issues) . My display on my 64gb was perfect but this one is terrible. The display is like a blend between yellow and blue. Absolutely horrible

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Just swapped from 64 to 256 (also my first one had faceid issues) . My display on my 64gb was perfect but this one is terrible. The display is like a blend between yellow and blue. Absolutely horrible

Worst feeling ever when your old one is better than the new one.

Swap that sucker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.