Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
This can be resolve with a white temp slider. Apple just give us the option of a TRUE ehite temp slider so everyone can set the white point to how cool or warm everyone prefer. All tv, monitor, android phone have this.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

felsee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
As I posted before, I have TT on for days now and I can't really tell the difference any more. With TT off it now even seems too blueish for my liking. Although I must admit having TT + night shift on makes the screen look EXTREMELY yellow haha.
Plus: I discovered dust under the camera lens glass, which doesn't seem to affect photo quality however.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
As I posted before, I have TT on for days now and I can't really tell the difference any more. With TT off it now even seems too blueish for my liking. Although I must admit having TT + night shift on makes the screen look EXTREMELY yellow haha.
Plus: I discovered dust under the camera lens glass, which doesn't seem to affect photo quality however.

I don't use nightshift on my Max, and when I did I had it dialled way down as the default looks like someone smoked 60 a day over my screen

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Based on what I’ve seen so far, this is my conclusion to date:

The XSes screens are of a warmer temperature than X/8/7. It’s almost impossible to find a XS screen to be the same as X/8/7, so it’s pointless to run around hoping to find one to match a X/8/7.
(Even then, there are variances among the X/8/7).

Having said that, among the XSes, there are variances, from slightly warmer (but still looks acceptable, just a different temperature, not necessary “worse”) to grossly yellowish and unacceptable.

So, the question is, has anyone found a XS that’s exactly the same as X/8/7? Are there XS screens out there like that? Or we simply accepted a slightly warm, but acceptable screen?

If Apple has on purpose, changed the white point, to be more easy/heathier on the eyes, etc, then well, we either accept the XS like they are, or buy another phone.

The problem here is the seemingly wide variances among the XS screens.

Oh well.. thought I didn’t have to go through this, after more than 6 generations of iPhones.

Yeah, someone comes to this conclusion around this time every year, including last year with the X. I promise better screens will arrive by end of year.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
Has anyone gone into Apple and got a replacement phone just on the screen being not uniform?
I'm outside my 14 day return period.
[doublepost=1539301741][/doublepost]btw here are my pic, they were taken using a 6S Plus

Attachments

• 31A2BF91-A6C6-4059-B136-F4A743783343.jpeg
    31A2BF91-A6C6-4059-B136-F4A743783343.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 307
  • B97AD1B7-915C-497C-BB03-D1B3396BCD88.jpeg
    B97AD1B7-915C-497C-BB03-D1B3396BCD88.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 331
  • 0C0B03D8-E938-48E3-8061-7B81D8F48052.jpeg
    0C0B03D8-E938-48E3-8061-7B81D8F48052.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 87D3C16E-E43C-42C2-9E63-B2EA6FE1548B.jpeg
    87D3C16E-E43C-42C2-9E63-B2EA6FE1548B.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 305
  • FF36E143-6DD9-48FC-B1FA-5BBC5EA7CB1E.jpeg
    FF36E143-6DD9-48FC-B1FA-5BBC5EA7CB1E.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 312
  • 7871D1CA-C4FA-4CF1-8652-38635B6FA421.jpeg
    7871D1CA-C4FA-4CF1-8652-38635B6FA421.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Has anyone gone into Apple and got a replacement phone just on the screen being not uniform?
[doublepost=1539301741][/doublepost]btw here are my pic, they were taken using a 6S Plus
You don't need replacement, this screen is fine...that's what oled looks like.

Reactions: evorc

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016

Yes, you can swap your phone or return it for any reason. However you are past your 15* day return period. So they might end up swapping your device with a refurbished model (although it might still be too early), if your devicd really has a display issue.

William333

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
My screen is slightly yellow, but not is bad.

2s1x74j.jpg

mvjepi.jpg

f3ajhd.jpg

X 256GB and XS Max 256GB (Spacial Grey)
wow mine looks like yours keep it the screen lottery is a pain in the backside.
My third replacement from Apple uk this one a keeper.
I hit the jackpot again after three tries.

First phone was yellow screen even with true tone off and sharp and rough edges with gaps with glue hanging out and dust entering the bands between the screen. (September build week 37)

Second phone came with the most horrible yellow piss screen and dust under camera lens better build quality.(September build week 37)

Third phone came this morning nice white screen matches my iphone X brightness no dust under camera lens/no dead pixels and no rough edges with no gaps nice screen even with true tone on build quality perfect. (October build week 39).

Good luck everyone don't give up Apple uk online customer service did try and fob me off to the genius bar twice told them over the phone no not getting a white box replacement.

Last edited:

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015

The only pictures to show uniformity have to be taken absolutely front on to the phone with no angle. It looks like you have the new standard this year. A bit pinkish towards the top. I saw so many like this particularly on full brightness for some reason. Today a colleague insisted his was uniform. It wasn’t. Just some people can’t see it. Our sensitivity to subtle shade changes vary enormously from person to person. Quickly shifting eyes from the top of the screen to the bottom allows some to see it.

Reactions: sstiwari

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
wow mine looks like yours keep it the screen lottery is a pain in the backside.
My third replacement from Apple uk this one a keeper.
I hit the jackpot again after three tries.

First phone was yellow screen even with true tone off and sharp and rough edges with gaps with glue hanging out and dust entering the bands between the screen. (September build week 37)

Second phone came with the most horrible yellow piss screen and dust under camera lens better build quality.(September build week 37)

Third phone came this morning nice white screen matches my iphone X brightness no dust under camera lens/no dead pixels and no rough edges with no gaps nice screen even with true tone on build quality perfect. (October build week 39).

Good luck everyone don't give up Apple uk online customer service did try and fob me off to the genius bar twice told them over the phone no not getting a white box replacement.
How do you find out what build week a phone is? I’m happy for you! I went to AT&T today and they thought I was crazy and that my screen was fine and to basically goto Apple.

Reactions: William333

William333

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
How do you find out what build week a phone is? I’m happy for you! I went to AT&T today and they thought I was crazy and that my screen was fine and to basically goto Apple.
Use this website http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html enter your serial number do you have a backup old phone like a iPhone X,8 or even 7 compare the two next to your MAX at the AT&T store/Apple store.
That will shut them up they cannot fob you off saying that device is within spec bs.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Use this website http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html enter your serial number do you have a backup old phone like a iPhone X or 8 or even 7 compare the two next to MAX at the AT&T store/Apple store.
That will shut them up they cannot fob you off saying that device is within spec

Do you know what the spec is? No, so can't really be able to say this. You can say it's different, sure, you can say you don't like it, sure, but you can't really say it's not within spec
[doublepost=1539340862][/doublepost]
Thank you. Mine is production week 37 also. :(

My Day One Max is week 35

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Use this website http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html enter your serial number do you have a backup old phone like a iPhone X,8 or even 7 compare the two next to your MAX at the AT&T store/Apple store.
That will shut them up they cannot fob you off saying that device is within spec bs.
I did bring in my 7+ to show them
And compare. They insisted it must be my screen protector, I told them no it’s not and even took it off. They were not helpful at all. Regardless, to swap or return they wanted another $45 restocking fee. So I’m hoping maybe eventually I can goto the apple store and get one with a cooler screen... I can’t say that I’ve seen a cooler display anywhere that I’ve looked at them yet.

Daniel1986

Suspended
Oct 12, 2018
Hello,

Guys exchanged 4 iPhone XS Max 512gb this week at Leeds Apple store.
What is going on with this year XS Max yellow screen display my old iPhone 8 and iPhone X both looks so much better much whiter not like horrible yellow colour.
The Apple store staff thinks I'm crazy for complaining about the screen issues and opening up four retail boxes.
I will complain after paying £1449 in cash these things are not cheap.

At the end I did get one which has nice white colour screen not as yellow as the other 4 devices.

dosit

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
Has anyone noticed that even with True Tone off different environments and lighting effect how the the yellow tint is displayed on the phone? Or am I crazy as I swear sometimes it seems more white , and others more yellow. Seems to be worse when I am in a pitch black room at night.

Last edited:

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
To be fair, apple display units used to give people hope... they’re all yellow this go around.
when i talked to a tech rep they said they calibrated the screens warmers...so this is something that can be fixed software side...if its true.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Has anyone noticed that even with True Tone off different environments and lighting effect how the the yellow tint is displayed on the phone? Or am I crazy as I swear sometimes it seems more white , and others more yellow. Seems to be worse when I am in a pitch black room at night.

I too believe that the temperature of the screen changes a little even when TT and auto-brightness are off.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
when i talked to a tech rep they said they calibrated the screens warmers...so this is something that can be fixed software side...if its true.

The issue here is the wide variances among the XSes. There is not a single standard calibration. For all we know, those cooler ones are the ones “defective”. Lol.
[doublepost=1539347165][/doublepost]
I too believe that the temperature of the screen changes a little even when TT and auto-brightness are off.
Yes, I think this happens to a certain degree with LCD screens in older iPhones as well, even without TT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.