Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So already bought three iPhone XS and I have to admit, I'm disappointed. All of the screens have a yellow tint compared to my iPhoneX X. So anyone has a XS without that yellow tint?

TT is deactivated.

left and middle: iPhone XS
right: iPhone X

You gotta take the wrap off the left
One

Also Austria is a beautiful country!

Last edited:

andreipavel

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
I have exchanged a couple of xs myself. For me the main issue is not the warmer display, but the fact that when you look at a fixed point and angle the phone just a couple of degrees the white point changes from warm to neutral; this breaks my immersion and is quite annoying. This isn't obvious for the iPhone x because of having a cooler screen and shifting to blue at an angle. The shift from yellow to white to blue is annoying. I did not see any xs yet that doesn't exhibit this problem and I tested quite a few; some are warmer than others, yes, but all color shift aggressively. The warmer screens are actually healthier for our eyes. I'm a radiologist and I developed retinal problems by staring for too long at medical displays which are professionally calibrated to show a cooler white.

Reactions: thelead

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
You think it's worth exchanging?
I had a Max with a gradient from warm to cool just like the one you have. I decided to get it replaced in the end as it was distracting me too much.

My replacement after that had a full on pink tint even when viewed head-on, which I swapped out straight away. I finally found a phone with a screen that I’m happy with, it’s still slightly yellow and uneven, but not distractingly so. When you’re using it, whites look crystal clear, it’s only when holding it up to an older iPhone 7 Plus with an LCD screen that you realise the warmer tint.

True Tone works much better on this phone too as the tint is less on the yellow side, so your eyes can adjust to the changes in screen temperature and it doesn’t look odd.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It’s a curse

Apple should hire me so I can cure the pain for all of you for them to produce consistent displays lol!

Being screen-picky is awful, - a total curse. I wish I could let that stuff go. I remember the negative blacks on the 3G, and endless dust that would get into that phone and the 3GS, because somehow Apple thought the fused-glass design of the original iPhone should be removed for the 3G and 3GS. Like...really, Apple?

And don't get me started on the iPads. I felt like I was the only one complaining that the original iPad screen was super low-res when everyone else was OMG-ing over its "beauty."

Sigh.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
Hi, haven't read through the posts though initially I felt my Xs screen was more yellow that I would like;
Then I adjusted the 'color filters' under 'display accomodations' to change the tint;
Found the advice in the second part of this article:

https://www.payetteforward.com/why-is-my-iphone-x-screen-yellow-heres-the-real-fix/

I have no problems now and am glad I found I could adjust the color temperature that way.

PS: Of course, I had turned off true tone earlier and had found the screen still a bit yellow for my liking; Only then, I changed the tint via display accommodations.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Hi, haven't read through the posts though initially I felt my Xs screen was more yellow that I would like;
Then I adjusted the 'color filters' under 'display accomodations' to change the tint;
Found the advice in the second part of this article:

https://www.payetteforward.com/why-is-my-iphone-x-screen-yellow-heres-the-real-fix/

I have no problems now and am glad I found I could adjust the color temperature that way.
We’ve discussed this and it isn’t a great solution. You are throwing a blue layer on top of yellow/green. What we need is the ability to turn down colors to fix the issue not just throw a layer on top of the problem.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
We’ve discussed this and it isn’t a great solution. You are throwing a blue layer on top of yellow/green. What we need is the ability to turn down colors to fix the issue not just throw a layer on top of the problem.
Sorry, my bad; Was too lazy to read thru the posts as I am ok with my phone now; Thanks for pointing it out.

Thebigkahuna

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
So....has anyone who was unhappy with multiple yellow displays actually receive a unit there happy with yet?
I would like to know this as well. Ive been following this thread since launch and have yet to read someone claim that they found a bright white display after exchanging. A few people have said their screens are better but haven't posted a picture of the screen they are happy with.

My first Max was very obviously yellow so I exchanged it for another. I could even tell on the first boot up that the apple logo was disappointingly yellow/warm before this thread existed. When I booted up my second Max the Apple logo was bright white. The "hello screen" was also bright white so I was extremely pleased but after setup it seemed to return to a more warm/yellow screen. It is still better than the first one but warmer than I would like. Trying to decide if indeed they are all like this. If they are I'm inclined to keep it but if white/blue screens exist I'd return and wait for awhile before trying another.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
I've gone through a few. White point was more or less the same on all of them. If you looked closely you can see very slight color temperature differences but nothing noticeable.

Huge variations of tints/color shifting though... And to me that's more important.

Chynonyno

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
I would like to know this as well. Ive been following this thread since launch and have yet to read someone claim that they found a bright white display after exchanging. A few people have said their screens are better but haven't posted a picture of the screen they are happy with.

My first Max was very obviously yellow so I exchanged it for another. I could even tell on the first boot up that the apple logo was disappointingly yellow/warm before this thread existed. When I booted up my second Max the Apple logo was bright white. The "hello screen" was also bright white so I was extremely pleased but after setup it seemed to return to a more warm/yellow screen. It is still better than the first one but warmer than I would like. Trying to decide if indeed they are all like this. If they are I'm inclined to keep it but if white/blue screens exist I'd return and wait for awhile before trying another.

My screen is slightly yellow, but not is bad.

2s1x74j.jpg

mvjepi.jpg

f3ajhd.jpg

X 256GB and XS Max 256GB (Spacial Grey)

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
So already bought three iPhone XS and I have to admit, I'm disappointed. All of the screens have a yellow tint compared to my iPhoneX X. So anyone has a XS without that yellow tint?

TT is deactivated.

left and middle: iPhone XS
right: iPhone X

So far Got 2 Xs and one was Warmer than the other. But Overall I didn't see any Xs cooler or 100% as cooler as my previous X (I compared with Apple and Carrier Provider Xs display units too)

Thebigkahuna

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
I guess I'll throw mine up for comparison purposes. Left is my Max. On the right is my 6S+.

Attachments

• IMG_4251.JPG
    IMG_4251.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4253.JPG
    IMG_4253.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 322

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
The problem is that, usually, the apple store displays are perfect and you go on your search for that near perfect panel but what I'm seeing in the stores is just shades of yellow/green.

But there are many At&t, BB, Target etc stores out there. After I made sure the settings were established as what I wanted to compare my phone with, I found them all to be substantially the same. Each had a blue shift looking off axis and each had the same degree of yellow when True Tone was turned on. I must have examined five or six phones and they were all the same.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Based on what I’ve seen so far, this is my conclusion to date:

The XSes screens are of a warmer temperature than X/8/7. It’s almost impossible to find a XS screen to be the same as X/8/7, so it’s pointless to run around hoping to find one to match a X/8/7.
(Even then, there are variances among the X/8/7).

Having said that, among the XSes, there are variances, from slightly warmer (but still looks acceptable, just a different temperature, not necessary “worse”) to grossly yellowish and unacceptable.

So, the question is, has anyone found a XS that’s exactly the same as X/8/7? Are there XS screens out there like that? Or we simply accepted a slightly warm, but acceptable screen?

If Apple has on purpose, changed the white point, to be more easy/heathier on the eyes, etc, then well, we either accept the XS like they are, or buy another phone.

The problem here is the seemingly wide variances among the XS screens.

Oh well.. thought I didn’t have to go through this, after more than 6 generations of iPhones.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Based on what I’ve seen so far, this is my conclusion to date:

The XSes screens are of a warmer temperature than X/8/7. It’s almost impossible to find a XS screen to be the same as X/8/7, so it’s pointless to run around hoping to find one to match a X/8/7.
(Even then, there are variances among the X/8/7).

Having said that, among the XSes, there are variances, from slightly warmer (but still looks acceptable, just a different temperature, not necessary “worse”) to grossly yellowish and unacceptable.

So, the question is, has anyone found a XS that’s exactly the same as X/8/7? Are there XS screens out there like that? Or we simply accepted a slightly warm, but acceptable screen?

If Apple has on purpose, changed the white point, to be more easy/heathier on the eyes, etc, then well, we either accept the XS like they are, or buy another phone.

The problem here is the seemingly wide variances among the XS screens.

Oh well.. thought I didn’t have to go through this, after more than 6 generations of iPhones.

My personal opinion is I think Apple have changed the way they calibrate these displays to allow for a greater yield at factory, ie their less fussy to not constrain supply.

Reactions: madKIR

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Apple dropped the ball in display quality this year.

For the majority, it’s like a 99% chance that you’ll get a yellow tinted screen, and awful True Tone for the iPhone XS.

I’m on iOS 12.1 beta 3 and it didn’t resolve anything in my testing. I’m optismistic that True Tone isn’t a hardware defect, and the yellow tint can be fixed via software.

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
Current wisdom touts the potential damage to vision by the blue light emitted by these devices.
I reckon tru-tone is Apples attempt to stave off future class action litigation by buyers of its devices.
Apple do tend to alter technology for the 'good of the many' against the 'will and poor judgement of the many'. They ignore the howls of protest and all's well.
I don't like the dingy yellowish looking display of the XS compared to the X, but I will probably be grateful for better eyesight in the future.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
So here's an obvious (to me) True Tone question to ask:

Apple individually calibrate their displays, so they know the default colour temperature of the screen, and the temperature they want to calibrate it to..... simple assumption.

The Ambient Light sensors can measure the temperature of the ambient light around the device, and use this to adjust the display accordingly to mimic a white piece of paper.

So based on this information, why doesn't every display look exactly the same under the same lighting with True Tone enabled?

Last edited:

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Current wisdom touts the potential damage to vision by the blue light emitted by these devices.
I reckon tru-tone is Apples attempt to stave off future class action litigation by buyers of its devices.
Apple do tend to alter technology for the 'good of the many' against the 'will and poor judgement of the many'. They ignore the howls of protest and all's well.
I don't like the dingy yellowish looking display of the XS compared to the X, but I will probably be grateful for better eyesight in the future.

There's a reason you're told to not look directly at the sun... :eek:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

There's a reason you're told to not look directly at the sun... :eek:
That said my new 5k iMac is super white and bright so not sure how much Apple care, but I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: John webstar44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.