Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An alleged Geekbench 6 benchmark result for the lower-end version of the M4 chip with a 9-core CPU surfaced over the weekend, providing a first look at how it performs compared to the higher-end M4 chip with a 10-core CPU.

M4-iPad-Pro-Thumb-3.jpg

The result indicates that the 9-core M4 chip is around 10% slower than the 10-core variant in terms of multi-core performance. While that outcome might seem obvious at first glance, the 9-core variant of the chip has three performance cores, instead of four in the 10-core variant, so this result was not guaranteed.

Assuming that the Geekbench 6 listing is accurate, the 9-core M4 chip is still around 13% faster than the M3 chip for multi-core performance, and up to 35% faster than the M2 chip in the previous-generation iPad Pro.

Here's how the 9-core M4 chip stacks up in multi-core Geekbench 6 results:

• M4 chip (10-core CPU): ~14,600
  • M4 chip (9-core CPU): ~13,000
  • M3 chip (8-core CPU): ~11,600
  • M2 chip (8-core CPU): ~9,600

The new 11-inch and 13-inch iPad Pro models are equipped with a 9-core M4 chip when configured with 256GB or 512GB of storage, while models with 1TB or 2TB of storage are equipped with a 10‑core M4 chip. Both variants have a 10-core GPU.

For reasons unclear, the Geekbench 6 listing shows the iPad Pro with the 9-core M4 chip as running iPadOS 17.6, whereas all results for the 10-core model have shown iPadOS 17.4 so far. The first beta of iPadOS 17.6 will likely be made available for testing later this month, following the upcoming release of iPadOS 17.5.

The new iPad Pro models launch on Wednesday.

Thanks, Michael Burkhardt!

Article Link: Here's How Fast the 9-Core M4 Chip is Based on Early Benchmark Result

Reactions: shadowboi

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It should be noted that M4 gets a significant boost from the Object Detection subtest due to newly added functionality in M4, but most software will not leverage this. It should also be noted that this was added in the latest Geekbench 6.3, but was not there in 6.2.

Here's my summary of the M4 9-core results, against a (better scoring than average) M3 MacBook Air:

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 3.05.00 PM.png

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
So those improvements are down to additional cores and higher clocks. Shock.

In fact, although not scientific, if you divide the M3 score by 8 and multiply by 9, you get the same score as the M4. And the same for 10 cores. And despite the M4's cores being clocked 0.3 GHz higher.

Last edited:

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
Still early. More results can popup and close the gap. I'm looking for the iPad Pro M4 11'' 256GB. I don't need 16GB of RAM, neither the 10 cores. iPad OS will fly even with 1. Anyway, it will be HUGE upgrade from my Air 4. I just push my thumbs that I don't get pixel defects.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Playing games on this is going to be SO good... well, depending on how the devices handle heat, at least. 😅
That's what I'm waiting to hear on the M4 iPads. How the thermals do and possible throttling.

Reactions: ThaRuler

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Snapdragon will need 4 years more to get there. I mean to match M2 performance
I have to think this is a big push for Apple to show just how far ahead they are. Even the new TOPS numbers are a massive jump from the M3 series for the Neural Engine. The Pro, Max, and Ultra chips will see some big jumps later this year.

• Love
Reactions: shadowboi

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014

In fact, although not scientific, if you divide the M3 score by 8 and multiply by 9, you get the same score as the M4. And the same for 10 cores. And despite the M4's cores being clocked 0.3 GHz higher.
Correct, they cores do perform slightly better with higher clocks and some refinements, but they also shrunk this down from the size of the M1/M2 series. I am not a chip person, so I am not sure if shrinking the chip by default gives you better performance as well? But it does use less power for the same performance as the M2, that is pretty impressive.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Correct, they cores do perform slightly better with higher clocks and some refinements, but they also shrunk this down from the size of the M1/M2 series. I am not a chip person, so I am not sure if shrinking the chip by default gives you better performance as well? But it does use less power for the same performance as the M2, that is pretty impressive.
I agree, it's just the comparisons to M3 and what may be in MBPs that are going (in my opinion) over-the-top.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Additional cores and higher clocks in the same wattage and thermal footprint. That counts for something.

We know Apple as a company doesn’t run their silicon at super high wattages for “fastest right now” claims.
If you remove the boost from the Object Detection subtest in Geekbench 6.3 (since it is an outlier that skews the results in M4's favour), and compensate for M4's higher clocks, the single-core speed of M4 is still about 3% faster than single-core speed of M3. This is illustrated by running Geekbench 5.5.1 on them:

M4vsM3-Geekbench551.png

Somebody else got a similar 3% Performance Per Cycle improvement of M4 over M3 after compensating for M4's higher clocks, by running Geekbench 6.3 but with the Object Detection subtest removed from the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.