Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Oh, they’ll be able to match the performance, they’ll just have to do what Intel does and pump more wattage through it :)
why would you buy then instead of an intel on windows? at least you have all the legacy on x86
So no, that would be an end

AppleUser93

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
Hoping to see a review video soon. I don’t know how much longer the review embargo is in place but it’d be nice to see something before the release date.

Reactions: Delivered

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
It's still ridiculously fast. That single core will not make a noticeable difference in day-to-day workflows. If you know for a fact that the iPad will take the place of a computer in most situations, I will say that anything higher than the 512GB model is completely unnecessary unless you need that much storage.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Let’s not forget M1, as many are upgrading from an M1 iPad Pro:

M1 multi-core = 8,301
M4 multi-core (9-core) = ~13,000, for a ~57% improvement.
Yea I wish they included M1 more in these articles. As a M1 iPad Pro user I'm more likely to want to upgrade. Thankfully my iPad seems to run just fine though.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Single core performance is more relevant for the vast majority of ipad users… indeed for most Apple users in general.

If you're a power user and leverage multi core workloads all day, great. But for most people.. energy efficiency and other aspects of the hardware are much more relevant to the overall user experience.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Single core performance is more relevant for the vast majority of ipad users… indeed for most Apple users in general.

If you're a power user and leverage multi core workloads all day, great. But for most people.. energy efficiency and other aspects of the hardware are much more relevant to the overall user experience.
M4 is within 2% of 4000 single-core for Geekbench 6.3.

I'm thinking one of the M4 series Macs is gonna is gonna hit 4000, if the fanless iPad doesn't.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
M4 is within 2% of 4000 single-core for Geekbench 6.3.

I'm thinking one of the M4 series Macs is gonna is gonna hit 4000.
That's for sure. M4 will love some cooling. I remember iPad's mini 6 got higher score with it's A15 compared to 13 Pro, because was better cooled by iPad chassis (and the A15 was binned in the iPad with lower clocks).

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Let alone power consumption. I've heard the current Snapdragon X Elite SoC chips are major power hogs.
I think its something competitors really need to work on to catch up with apple in many ways.

Apples advantage is the vertical integration of so many aspects of the system.

Im really surprise Microsoft haven't pulled off the same yet with the surface devices… i think its coming.. they have the resources to do it.

Reactions: pier

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
It's still ridiculously fast. That single core will not make a noticeable difference in day-to-day workflows. If you know for a fact that the iPad will take the place of a computer in most situations, I will say that anything higher than the 512GB model is completely unnecessary unless you need that much storage.
Why just the space? Why not the 16Gb of Ram? Or the extra processor? Or the matte display option? Apple gave several “reasons” to upgrade to a 1Tb… I was going For 512 myself, but the 16Gb and the bonus of an extra core did the trick for me. It’s a bloody expensive thing either way, so why not future proof it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Let alone power consumption. I've heard the current Snapdragon X Elite SoC chips are major power hogs.
Ooh, snap. ;-)

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Of interest

• The Apple M4 maintains a healthy lead against the Snapdragon X Elite in CPU performance and especially, efficiency. M4 is 23% faster than the top-tier X Elite variant.
  • The 6-core Adreno GPU on Snapdragon X Elite is no match for the 10-core GPU on Apple M4.
  • However, in NPU performance, Snapdragon X Elite delivers 45 TOPS whereas the Apple M4 performs up to 38 TOPS.
Apple decided to release its M4 chipset just before the Snapdragon X Elite debut scheduled for May 20. The move is seen as a strategy by Apple to keep up with its healthy lead in consumer chipsets, outranking Qualcomm, and x86 players like Intel, and AMD.
And from our analysis, we conclude that the Apple M4 does have a substantial lead in both CPU and GPU performance. The Snapdragon X Elite is the closest contender and rivals the M3, but it’s still behind the M4 by a wide margin. Especially, in terms of performance-per-watt, Apple has showcased superior efficiency than the competition. In the NPU department though, Snapdragon X Elite packs a punch.

bebarhood

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2019
Can someone explain to me why moving to 1TB of storage will increase the CPU cores and increase the RAM from 8 to 12GB?

I dont need the extra storage but I don’t need Apple to trim the performance :mad:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So those improvements are down to additional cores and higher clocks. Shock.

In fact, although not scientific, if you divide the M3 score by 8 and multiply by 9, you get the same score as the M4. And the same for 10 cores. And despite the M4's cores being clocked 0.3 GHz higher.

At lower power consumption. Plus - GPU improvements.

DrWojtek

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2023
Can someone explain to me why moving to 1TB of storage will increase the CPU cores and increase the RAM from 8 to 12GB?

I dont need the extra storage but I don’t need Apple to trim the performance :mad:
16 GB, not 12.

Because they want to charge you more for it to make a greater profit.

bebarhood

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2019
16 GB, not 12.

Because they want to charge you more for it to make a greater profit.
That’s stupid! Why can’t it be configured like a laptop? I don’t need the storage. Give me more ram and cores.

Sometimes, Apple makes such idiotic pricing schemes. My Mind was set on the 512GB, but seeing the 1TB gets me double the RAM and more cores, I am thinking of getting the 1TB even though the storage is not my priority.

Last edited:

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
That's what I'm waiting to hear on the M4 iPads. How the thermals do and possible throttling.
All fanless devices will throttle if you put them through a power-intensive task, but we’ll see how well this 20% additional thermal improvement will do with Apple adding graphite to the iPad’s internals plus the copper in the logo. But yes, I would love to see some real-world testing on this.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
It's serious like picking between 2 supercars to drive on a UK 70 MPH motorway.
This statement applies to all Apple products these days down to the iPhone and Macs. There is very little software available on any of them that will stress out an M-series processor or even a recent A-series chip, bugs notwithstanding on the iPhone 15 Pro’s. Just think of all the software you run on your Macs and iPhones. To me, the only things that come close to creating heat or throttling are games, and most of those don’t either. Even a standard 4K video rendering doesn’t make any current Apple device sweat. To the vast majority, the M1 versions of iPad or Mac are more than enough. People in these forums, though, tend to prefer having the biggest and best of everything, even if we don’t need the power.

Reactions: Crow_Servo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.