Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
My phone has so many abrasions. It's crazy, but it you can't tell in the naked eye, you really have to try to get the right angle of the light to see them. That being said, I've been enjoying my iPhone without being over protective with my phone. You guys should try it. When it comes to resell I'm sure you can still sell it for a decent price.

Agreed - I'm protecting mine by not protecting it at all... just like I did for every other iPhone I've ever owned.

It's got some scuffs on the back... but who cares? Still looks awesome and feels great in the hand :)

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
I tried using all the transparent and semi-transparent cases that I used to have on my old Matt Black on my new JB, but they all looked awful!!
Completely ruined the JB look while they used to enhance the Matt Black.
Anyways, I ended up applying my JB iPhone 7 Plus with a Crystal Liquid coat (similar to Nano-Ceramic) which protects the phone from scratches up to 70% but turned out slippery and ruined the JB grip advantage.
I finally applied a Naked Skin on the back with a Glass Screen protector and while the grip is fantastic, It does not look at smooth as I know the JB looks.

Here are some pics for your thoughts.

c814780d75c94e32a04c15ed04b8a41e.jpg

a8cd933364a91c77c4e86396c19aa386.jpg

44452ce08ea6a5c7b2260d69ce7b1ddf.jpg

e02f786df7eb43199b0ba32e40eb5e86.jpg

DukeL

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
I wasn't aware they advertised these as "scratch resistant"?
I've only had it for 2 days now so I can't say weather or not it's scratch resistant.
But honestly I don't think they are.

I would rather scratch this case up and when its "too scratched" then just pay another 24 bucks if it bothers me enough.

Well I ordered. Also got a couple of the screen protectors if you don't mind me asking how do u like them? Are they true 3d protectors? Do they cover all the way up to the edge perfectly? Used imos and Cinder for 6s last year but cinder for iPhone 7 is absolute garbage there is no adhesive at the top where proximity & light sensor is so dust gets in within a week bought 3 ended up throwing them all away.

RY∆N

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2015
Well I ordered. Also got a couple of the screen protectors if you don't mind me asking how do u like them? Are they true 3d protectors? Do they cover all the way up to the edge perfectly? Used imos and Cinder for 6s last year but cinder for iPhone 7 is absolute garbage there is no adhesive at the top where proximity & light sensor is so dust gets in within a week bought 3 ended up throwing them all away.

I like them fine.
Normally, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't even use cases, so any case I got, would have to be really "invisible."

The PEEL screen protector, when used with their case, gets pretty close to full coverage. I'd say there's really thin gap between where the screen protector ends and the case begins.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Agreed - I'm protecting mine by not protecting it at all... just like I did for every other iPhone I've ever owned.

It's got some scuffs on the back... but who cares? Still looks awesome and feels great in the hand :)
Exactly ... and the end of the day, it's only hardware. People always give me props for rocking it naked. Lol

Reactions: friedmud

DukeL

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
I wish Could be like u guys but when i see scratches i see a piece of junk its just like if my car bumper gets scratched i get it painted and some people would just go on with a scratched bumper. OCD i guess haha.
[doublepost=1483085112][/doublepost]
I tried using all the transparent and semi-transparent cases that I used to have on my old Matt Black on my new JB, but they all looked awful!!
Completely ruined the JB look while they used to enhance the Matt Black.
Anyways, I ended up applying my JB iPhone 7 Plus with a Crystal Liquid coat (similar to Nano-Ceramic) which protects the phone from scratches up to 70% but turned out slippery and ruined the JB grip advantage.
I finally applied a Naked Skin on the back with a Glass Screen protector and while the grip is fantastic, It does not look at smooth as I know the JB looks.

Here are some pics for your thoughts.

c814780d75c94e32a04c15ed04b8a41e.jpg

a8cd933364a91c77c4e86396c19aa386.jpg

44452ce08ea6a5c7b2260d69ce7b1ddf.jpg

e02f786df7eb43199b0ba32e40eb5e86.jpg

Yah I have tried a lot of colored skins and clear skins. Tried the nakedskins but the flaps on the edges were too long plus a few other fitment issues so threw them in the trash. Hopefully they perfected their cut by now. I actually did install the nanostate onyx too on mine and I'm not one to drop my phone but couple days after it fell from a shelf in my bathroom to my sink somehow by itself and while for the few days I was rocking the onyx it appeared to be working(also did not affect the feel of the phone)It couldn't take the couple foot drop and did end up with a couple scratches so back to putting skins on it. Can't stand cases at all but I'm also gonna give the PEEL jet black a try since its almost thin as a skin.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
Dropped my phone from shoulder height at Costco onto their concrete floors with just a Slickwraps naked skin on it and my phone landed right on a corner and bounced onto another corner. Both looked dinged up but it was just the skin which mostly self healed and now there is just a tiny scuff on the skin.

I'm going to change it out for a new skin when I have the time for a clean install but it looks like my phone is fine under the skin. Pretty amazing for such a thin piece of vinyl.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Yah I have tried a lot of colored skins and clear skins. Tried the nakedskins but the flaps on the edges were too long plus a few other fitment issues so threw them in the trash. Hopefully they perfected their cut by now.

You might not be able to tell from my pictures but I have removed both the top and bottom parts of the skin as I hate flimsy flaps.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
So going by quite a few people here, I've removed the transparent skin and keeping it completely naked (and I'm loving it)!

When needed, I'll put on one of my many many cases that I have to protect it (when at the Gym, Beach, etc...) But other than that, I'm gonna continue to use it as it's meant to be used.

Last edited:

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've posted this comment twice because I felt no one is recognizing this great solution for the Jet Black iPhone. I'm sorry if I broke the rules.

The Switcheasy Iglass case has a glass back on an Aluminum frame with Poly. inserts for better signal. The glass is held 1mm away from the phones back. The glass is thicker an as hard as any screen protector. Some have had cracks when it falls but with care its a great case and my case of choice for the iPhone 7/7+.
Switches site: https://www.switcheasy.com/glass.php

Review:

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
I'm not a fan of that case due to the bulk and weight it adds to the phone.
Add to that the fact that you'll loose one of the key factors for the Jet Black for me (it's grip factor).

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Yah bulky and big ugly logo def a no go

The "ugly logo" is way better than the gross water marks and rainbow effects of other transparent cases. I personally like a little more bulk and heft to a phone. I think phones have gone to far with the thin and lite thing. They feel cheap. It's only 2 mm thicker.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
The "ugly logo" is way better than the gross water marks and rainbow effects of other transparent cases. I personally like a little more bulk and heft to a phone. I think phones have gone to far with the thin and lite thing. They feel cheap. It's only 2 mm thicker.

That logo kills it for me. Why place the logo prominently on the back while advertising a case to showcase your JB iPhone??? Take a look at that case, their logo is everywhere. On the back of the glass, on the sides of the case, and they also felt the need to add features of the case on the back at the top and bottom bezels.

I'll deal with the occasional water marks that I can free with a clear case than that logo and feature highlight any day.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
That logo kills it for me. Why place the logo prominently on the back while advertising a case to showcase your JB iPhone??? Take a look at that case, their logo is everywhere. On the back of the glass, on the sides of the case, and they also felt the need to add features of the case on the back at the top and bottom bezels.

I'll deal with the occasional water marks that I can free with a clear case than that logo and feature highlight any day.

I actually have both the LOGO version and the one without the LOGO offered as part of the startup. I actually use the LOGO version because the finish on the aluminum is nicer and I like the little complexity of the text rather than the black slab. LOGO's do sometimes add. There are millions of product designs that are made by nice text like the iPhone for instance.
I know what's coming : the Jet Black is supposed to be a simple, clean design. I guess I just have bad taste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.