Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
So, I've waited to post as I want to know what I'm talking about...

I avoided Onyx because, without wishing to offend anyone, if you believe that will work then...

I did order the AlienSkin for both my Jet Black 7 Plus and my partner's Rose Gold 7. The screen protector is like using you phone through a heavy duty prophylactic, so I threw those away, but I didn't buy it for those anyway.

I installed the rear skins as directed and her's is really good, she loves it and it's holding up fine after 4 weeks.

I got one tiny speck of dust under mine - my fault, and all good on that basis. I wasn't super-keen on the feel of the edge of the skin when I was handling the phone, but the skin is there and you can't avoid that. It also creates a sightly dimply effect on the back of the phone - not that you can feel, but a bit like the 'orange peel' you get with automotive paint if it's applied too thick in one coat.

A couple of days later the bottom left corner of mine (looking at the back) started to lift. Not the tiny corner piece, but the corner section of the main panel. Again I thought "my fault, I obviously didn't stick it down properly". It got gradually worse (as you'd expect) over a couple of weeks until I trimmed it slightly with a razor blade to try to stop it from catching - we're talking ⅛" here, not a massive amount. I wasn't best pleased, but I did think it was my installation.

I just noticed that the opposite corner is now doing the same thing, 30 days after installation.

I use my phone as I think it reasonable for this product. I work in an office. I carry the phone predominantly in a leather wallet pouch (a Bellroy product), or naked in suit pants front or jeans rear pockets with nothing else in them. I do ride a mountain bike, but i keep it in the wallet, in a back pack when I do. I have not put the phone in any sort of shell case in the 30 days since I installed the AlienSkin for fear the edge would get 'plucked' as I am removing it. And still it's coming off.

So; save your money people, this product is indeed junk. It's a little over the edge into ugly on the JB finish at best, and if it doesn't stay on for more than a month... It also doesn't exactly 'self heal' so much as its a rubbery film that mostly returns to shape over time. I scratched it with my fingernail the evening I installed it to test the self healing, and I can still see the ghost of that now. It. Is. Junk.

I guess mine is coming off this weekend and what will be will be for the JB finish. I'm over caring.

kellyleekyle

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2010
lancashire
So, I've waited to post as I want to know what I'm talking about...

I avoided Onyx because, without wishing to offend anyone, if you believe that will work then...

I did order the AlienSkin for both my Jet Black 7 Plus and my partner's Rose Gold 7. The screen protector is like using you phone through a heavy duty prophylactic, so I threw those away, but I didn't buy it for those anyway.

I installed the rear skins as directed and her's is really good, she loves it and it's holding up fine after 4 weeks.

I got one tiny speck of dust under mine - my fault, and all good on that basis. I wasn't super-keen on the feel of the edge of the skin when I was handling the phone, but the skin is there and you can't avoid that. It also creates a sightly dimply effect on the back of the phone - not that you can feel, but a bit like the 'orange peel' you get with automotive paint if it's applied too thick in one coat.

A couple of days later the bottom left corner of mine (looking at the back) started to lift. Not the tiny corner piece, but the corner section of the main panel. Again I thought "my fault, I obviously didn't stick it down properly". It got gradually worse (as you'd expect) over a couple of weeks until I trimmed it slightly with a razor blade to try to stop it from catching - we're talking ⅛" here, not a massive amount. I wasn't best pleased, but I did think it was my installation.

I just noticed that the opposite corner is now doing the same thing, 30 days after installation.

I use my phone as I think it reasonable for this product. I work in an office. I carry the phone predominantly in a leather wallet pouch (a Bellroy product), or naked in suit pants front or jeans rear pockets with nothing else in them. I do ride a mountain bike, but i keep it in the wallet, in a back pack when I do. I have not put the phone in any sort of shell case in the 30 days since I installed the AlienSkin for fear the edge would get 'plucked' as I am removing it. And still it's coming off.

So; save your money people, this product is indeed junk. It's a little over the edge into ugly on the JB finish at best, and if it doesn't stay on for more than a month... It also doesn't exactly 'self heal' so much as its a rubbery film that mostly returns to shape over time. I scratched it with my fingernail the evening I installed it to test the self healing, and I can still see the ghost of that now. It. Is. Junk.

I guess mine is coming off this weekend and what will be will be for the JB finish. I'm over caring.
i have had mine on a few weeks now and theres no edge peeling at all, but i do find the edges kind of sharp though. no orange peel but find theres kind of a greasy film on the skin after handling for awhile, they have offered to send me a replacement but I'm in two minds wether to put on the bestskinsever i also have, or just go naked and use a
whilst in my bag?

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Exactly why i signed up this year for Apple upgrade for life program ,so much of a hassle selling old one,this way it costs you the same basically plus u get Apple care and no hassle of eBay to resell,I think more people will choose this option when they realize the convenience,how much extra are you really gunna get from eBay anyway after the hassle of that whole process ,my time is worth more to me than to waste it with that whole process
What's this 'upgrade for life' program?

crownr0yal

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Bristol, RI
MAN. I LOVE the jet black color, but it's such a hassle trying to find a case that shows it off. I'm on my 9th case. I bought a case-mate naked tough, and even though the back is plastic and not TPU, it STILL sticks to the phone and has ugly little bubbles. I'm over it.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
i have had mine on a few weeks now and theres no edge peeling at all, but i do find the edges kind of sharp though. no orange peel but find theres kind of a greasy film on the skin after handling for awhile, they have offered to send me a replacement but I'm in two minds wether to put on the bestskinsever i also have, or just go naked and use a
whilst in my bag?

I had the best skins ever on mine for like 10 minutes as it looked awful. Mines naked inside a Joli pouch. Been like that for months now.

Reactions: kellyleekyle

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
After going through two bumpers, three cases, and using it naked, I gave up and bought the Sheath case. It's an amazing case, in all honesty, though it does block the jet black color.

Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
I have the BSE on my JB and I have a perfect install. I have a long method I use that always gives me flawless installs. There is a slight orange peel effect, but for me nothing I can't live with, and I get total protection. I also use a Spigen liquid crystal case, but I don't like the water mark effect. I just ordered a Rhino Shield bumper case.

Stipe1

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
Hi, new here, have been reading through the forums and posts.
I'm about to order my Jb 7+ but can't decide on onyx and sapphire liquid protection (would rather my phone be a naked as possible plus really don't want the writing coming off! Or go for either Alienskin or Clearcoat? Any advice would be appreciated! Has anyone here used onyx on a jb and if so how is it say a couple of weeks on?
Thanks in advance!
[doublepost=1481249884][/doublepost]Hi, new here, have been reading through the forums and posts.
I'm about to order my Jb 7+ but can't decide on onyx and sapphire liquid protection (would rather my phone be a naked as possible plus really don't want the writing coming off! Or go for either Alienskin or Clearcoat? Any advice would be appreciated! Has anyone here used onyx on a jb and if so how is it say a couple of weeks on?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Xeronex

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Hey Guys, I haven't seen a thread dedicated to this but this is for those who are looking to protect the Jet Black finish while not hiding the finish completely.

I've seen a few people talk about the Onyx drops from Nanostate and some of the various cases and skins. Post what you purchased here so we can all find the best product for everyone!
Mine is resting comfortably in LifeProof Fre. It is awesome and beautiful case. LifeProof has improved their product well. No rainbow issue on the screen and muffle sound. The quality and durability are good so far.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I have the BSE on my JB and I have a perfect install. I have a long method I use that always gives me flawless installs. There is a slight orange peel effect, but for me nothing I can't live with, and I get total protection.

Same here, BSE on my JB.
All I've ever used. Never had a case for any of my phones.
Only I never ever get a perfect install.
After a few minutes of struggling, like clockwork, I wanna chuck the BSE out the window and wrap my iPhone in saran wrap.

This time around though, I ordered the Sheath and waiting for it to come in.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Same here, BSE on my JB.
All I've ever used. Never had a case for any of my phones.
Only I never ever get a perfect install.
After a few minutes of struggling, like clockwork, I wanna chuck the BSE out the window and wrap my iPhone in saran wrap.

I have been using BSE for the longest time and have never had any issues with their product.
One of the best ways to install any wet skin is to do so in the bathroom while running a very hot shower. Let the steam build for a few minutes, then shut off the water. The steam will keep the dust at bay while you work. The next thing to do is to get yourself some packing tape and cover the entire back of the phone while you prepare the skin. Mix a bowl with water and dish soap large enough to accommodate the skin. I remove the skin while in the water so as not to expose it to the air yet. Once the backing is removed and the skin is floating, I then remove the packing tape from the back of the phone. One more rub down with a micro fiber cloth and your ready to apply your skin. You should have a flawless install with no trapped dust particles. If you do encounter the stray particle, Use the packing tape to remove it. Once you are happy with the alignment, use a hair dryer and apply some heat to the skin. This should speed up the drying time so the skin will begin to adhere to the back of the phone. Then you can begin to squeegee out the bubbles without having the skin move and shift around. Once you are happy with how the back looks, begin applying some heat to the top curved corners, not the corner flaps. This will help in getting the flaps perfect. Once the corner curves are properly adhered, you can begin applying heat to the sides. Once your sides are good, you can apply heat to the corner flaps. They should now align perfectly without any overlap or trapped air. The key here is to make sure the corner curves are flat. Hope this helpes :)

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I'm not, completely nakit Jet Black for months now and to my surprise it's holding up really well.

Other than a few micro scratches you can see if you look at them the right way in direct light, it still looks great. If I just flip it round and look at it without searching for the micro scratches it still looks as good as the day I got it and there's been no babying of it at all.

If it were as super slidey as the matte finishes have been the last few years I'd have put a skin on it but thanks to it being super grippy it's the first iPhone in years I'm happy to go nakit with.

RY∆N

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2015
If it were as super slidey as the matte finishes have been the last few years I'd have put a skin on it but thanks to it being super grippy it's the first iPhone in years I'm happy to go nakit with.

This is exactly why I chose the jet black. Shiny surfaces are more grippy than matte surfaces.
Theoretically should help minimize slippage.

BUT, i'm currently on the Apple early upgrade plan, so I wanted to make sure I return the phone in fairly good condition.

Here's pics of the Jet Black PEEL case.
Looks fine. Makes it look like a generic phone without the apple branding.

But its so thin, it makes it look fairly OEM.
I don't think it will protect it from high drops but it will minimize deep scratches for sure.
I also go the front protector and thats also really invisible.

Attachments

• PEEL.jpg
    PEEL.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: MajicSho

RY∆N

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2015
What's it like to hold? Grippy (like Jet Black should be) or slippery?
From the pics it looks glossy (hence should be grippy).

Cheers for sharing.

Yup, same grippy surface as the original.
I'll try to take pics of the profile, to show how thin it is.

Just a heads up, if you purchase, its REALLY thin.
I was a little shocked when I opened it, it flexed like it was a thin piece of plastic.
So again, I think its just to protect it from day to day wear. Not crazy falls/drops.

With that said, I'd def purchase again.:D

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Yup, same grippy surface as the original.
I'll try to take pics of the profile, to show how thin it is.

Just a heads up, if you purchase, its REALLY thin.
I was a little shocked when I opened it, it flexed like it was a thin piece of plastic.
So again, I think its just to protect it from day to day wear. Not crazy falls/drops.

With that said, I'd def purchase again.:D

Exactly what I wanted to hear / read

Reactions: RY∆N

DukeL

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
This is exactly why I chose the jet black. Shiny surfaces are more grippy than matte surfaces.
Theoretically should help minimize slippage.

BUT, i'm currently on the Apple early upgrade plan, so I wanted to make sure I return the phone in fairly good condition.

Here's pics of the Jet Black PEEL case.
Looks fine. Makes it look like a generic phone without the apple branding.

But its so thin, it makes it look fairly OEM.
I don't think it will protect it from high drops but it will minimize deep scratches for sure.
I also go the front protector and thats also really invisible.

How about scratching? I've bought like 5 different glossy skins for my jet blk i7 and they all get scratched really quick not the phone but the skin itself. Would be interested in knowing how the case itself held up against showing scratches. Been looking for a case just like this but they have all be matte texture. is it really scratch resistant or susceptible to micro scratches like the jet blk iPhone finish? Thanks!

RY∆N

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2015
How about scratching? I've bought like 5 different glossy skins for my jet blk i7 and they all get scratched really quick not the phone but the skin itself. Would be interested in knowing how the case itself held up against showing scratches. Been looking for a case just like this but they have all be matte texture. is it really scratch resistant or susceptible to micro scratches like the jet blk iPhone finish? Thanks!

I wasn't aware they advertised these as "scratch resistant"?
I've only had it for 2 days now so I can't say weather or not it's scratch resistant.
But honestly I don't think they are.

I would rather scratch this case up and when its "too scratched" then just pay another 24 bucks if it bothers me enough.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
My phone has so many abrasions. It's crazy, but it you can't tell in the naked eye, you really have to try to get the right angle of the light to see them. That being said, I've been enjoying my iPhone without being over protective with my phone. You guys should try it. When it comes to resell I'm sure you can still sell it for a decent price.

Reactions: friedmud
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.