Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Glad I read these new posts. Was going to order this alien skin after having the worst time with bestskinsever which SUCK! I will try the naked wrap and see if that fairs any better. Stay the hell away from best skins it left a residue on my iphone 6s like no other skin I have ever had. See picture.

Wow, I always use BSE but never experienced anything like that. But I admit, I only removed the skin from probably two of my devices. I always keep it on, even when selling the device. Did you use anything other than soap and water when you applied the skin?

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have a JB Plus and I wanted to go caseless. When I picked up my phone I headed over the Zagg kiosk in the mall. For $20 they installed a back protector (regular) for $20 Canadian. Matte was $30. No side coverage, just back. But it does look pretty sharp. I was back at the Apple Store today and I compared mine to the display and I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

I'll try to get my hands on a camera and upload a pic later tonight.

Also using a Tech Armor ballistic screen protector. It's not bad. Some bubbling on the sides that I'm not happy about but that could have been my install job.

Bandit1

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Ashburn, VA
When you get it done, post some pics so we can see how it looks.
[doublepost=1475792833][/doublepost]
I don't know about the USA mine came from the UK and customer services and products are good, there is only a few negatives about them most are good if you look through the thread.

I've looked through several threads on more than one forum and it seems to be an equal mix of satisfied and dissatisfied customers, especially concerning communication after the order and/or sale. Not a good thing considering the price point of the product.

sharmaswt50

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Toronto, Canada.
Glad I read these new posts. Was going to order this alien skin after having the worst time with bestskinsever which SUCK! I will try the naked wrap and see if that fairs any better. Stay the hell away from best skins it left a residue on my iphone 6s like no other skin I have ever had. See picture.
Wow imagine if that BSE was on the jet black, you would no doubt scratch it to pieces before you got the glue off, I read on another thread the skin actually pulls the iphone print off of the back which is not good.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Guys how do you feel about the texture of the jet black after applying some film to it?
I've been debating for myself for a long time now wich color to get and the more I think about it, the more I tend to stick with jb as I think it just feels so much better in my hands than the cold aluminum finish of the matte.
I have a JB 7 here right now and a silver 6s, but will send the 7 back and have a plus on order. I don't wanna loose this beautiful haptic of the back of the phone.. and has ANYONE applied the onyx so far? Any advantages? Less fingerprints maybe?

Halt&CatchFire

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Guys how do you feel about the texture of the jet black after applying some film to it?
I've been debating for myself for a long time now wich color to get and the more I think about it, the more I tend to stick with jb as I think it just feels so much better in my hands than the cold aluminum finish of the matte.
I have a JB 7 here right now and a silver 6s, but will send the 7 back and have a plus on order. I don't wanna loose this beautiful haptic of the back of the phone.. and has ANYONE applied the onyx so far? Any advantages? Less fingerprints maybe?
I used the SlickWraps naked glossy skin and you honestly couldn't tell it was there. The install is tricky, but the jet black really looked great through the skin.

sharmaswt50

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Toronto, Canada.
I got Onyx from Nanostate I didn't realise it was for the JB only, I gave it to my brother who has the JB I asked him about fingerprints today he said it didn't really stop them but it was very easy to clean them off with his t-shirt etc.. than it was before and no scratches so far. I used the free Alien Skin for the back and I'm very happy with it, it looks quality and it makes my MB look like the JB which is a bonus :) hope thats useful for you.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
Yes, watch their install video on youtube -
. It's quick so I probably watched it two or three times. My main tips are:
  • apply "Naked Juice" their wet application solution to your hands first, this way you won't get fingerprints on the sticky side of the wrap
  • don't use their microfiber cloth unless you keep a close eye because it will leave a couple of very tiny black fibers on your phone that would be stuck under the skin and could cause a bubble (I used a microfiber cloth that came with some RayBans) - if you look closely at their install video at 2:10 just below the volume down button you can see a spec of black like I'm describing that is definitely from their microfiber cloth
  • if you do use their cloth or notice any specs of anything on your phone you can take a piece of packing tape wrap it around your finger and use that to stick and remove any particles from your phone that you notice (saw this tip on another persons YouTube install video and it definitely works, packing tape is sticker than scotch tape but still leaves no residue)
  • spray the device like in their video not the wrap itself, this makes it wet enough to slide around but keeps the top, bottom and sides sticky
  • sit the phone vertical like in their video and line up the speaker holes on the bottom first, the speaker holes, lightning and screw holes are the most precise so this is important to have perfect
  • next line up the camera and flash - with the bottom and top lined up the rest will easily move into place
  • squeegee out as much moisture and air as you can immediately, then let the phone sit like they suggest and push out air bubbles again either using the card or a microfiber cloth or both
  • definitely use a hair dryer like they suggest on the corner flaps, work the corners so the seams line up as best as possible with the back of the wrap and then with the top/bottom (this will help make it truly look invisible)
  • I found my top corners to be too long by less than a mm but that was enough to make them overlap on my first install, they were cut the same on my second attempt so I used very sharp scissors to remove the tiniest sliver of the corner and that fixed the problem - but hopefully your wrap has corners that line up perfectly
  • take your time with the corners, if they aren't sitting wait a few minutes apply more heat from the hair dryer and press them again, also apply heat to the screen side edges and press those down so the wrap matches the curve of the device
If I end up having any corners peel I plan on doing an install video showing these suggestions. I hope they help you.

Guys, is this product worth it? Protects jet black from DROPS on floor? scratches?

calwm

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
So here is some quick pictures I took of the Alien Skin back panel on my MB 7+. I've tried to give an honest impression of what you can expect as, for example, I didn't do the perfect job of lining up the cutouts. I also had to keep reapplying the top corner after I screwed it up first time around.

Attachments

• IMG_20161005_230038(1).jpg
    IMG_20161005_230038(1).jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20161005_230101.jpg
    IMG_20161005_230101.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20161005_230316.jpg
    IMG_20161005_230316.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_20161005_230426.jpg
    IMG_20161005_230426.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_20161008_194026.jpg
    IMG_20161008_194026.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_20161008_194147.jpg
    IMG_20161008_194147.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20161008_194218.jpg
    IMG_20161008_194218.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_20161008_194405.jpg
    IMG_20161008_194405.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 482
Reactions: FenC

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
So here is some quick pictures I took of the Alien Skin back panel on my MB 7+. I've tried to give an honest impression of what you can expect as, for example, I didn't do the perfect job of lining up the cutouts. I also had to keep reapplying the top corner after I screwed it up first time around.

Can't really tell from the pics but are all the edges/corners exposed?

calwm

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Can't really tell from the pics but are all the edges/corners exposed?

I didn't get any corner pieces with the back panel I ordered. So yes, the corners are exposed.

The skin grips nicely around the top and the sides, with well positioned cutouts along them for the volume, power button etc. but only slightly covers the bottom of the device with the speakers and charging port completely exposed.

sharmaswt50

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Toronto, Canada.
I got corner pieces with mine, you should go back and ask them why you didn't get them. You might of missed them it's a tiny little square in the packet, I nearly missed it as well. you can see my corners below

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 00.46.44.png

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Initially, Steven @nanostate was very responsive to my emails. The longer I've waited AND sent additional emails to them requesting shipping notification, I've received no response.

Hmmm, I came back to the thread because I wondered if anyone else had heard about their skin, and sure enough, nothing here too. I have requested a date it was shipped, or any shipping number but I have received nothing at all.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Initially, Steven @nanostate was very responsive to my emails. The longer I've waited AND sent additional emails to them requesting shipping notification, I've received no response.

I know they have said they've been overwhelmed by orders, but those of us who ordered the VERY DAY they offered their discount (I actually ordered before the offered discount) should be considered before others who ordered later, IMO. I don't know what is going on, as they have not responded to my most recent emails requesting shipping notification/tracking number!
Lol what a shocker, owner of company is on forums trying to get people to buy his product, disappears when is needed.

Reactions: Halt&CatchFire

Samanosuke

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Hmmm, I came back to the thread because I wondered if anyone else had heard about their skin, and sure enough, nothing here too. I have requested a date it was shipped, or any shipping number but I have received nothing at all.

Steven @ nanostate provided me a tracking number and my package is almost here. It should be here in the next day or two.

I will update as soon as it shows up.

Halt&CatchFire

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
You're saying it has the same haptic like the aluminum body?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but if by 'haptic' you mean 'feeling'... then yes. It's similar. You feel the cold smoothness of the jet black phone that you don't get with a case. A case just feels like rubber in your hands. The wrap allowed the feeling of the smooth cold metal to transmit through it.... to an extent.

Reactions: chfilm

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I cancelled my nanostate order and asked for a refund a few days later. The refund was processed pretty quick. Spending $50 on something that MAY work, when I end up trading it in a year later didn't make sense $

Reactions: blaine07

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Steven @ nanostate provided me a tracking number and my package is almost here. It should be here in the next day or two.

I will update as soon as it shows up.

I got all my tracking emails today, so yeah it should be here in a week or two, probably still beating the phone lol

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014

That's what i'm worried about and stopping me from installing my BSE.... maybe I'll go the SlickWraps route...

Reactions: raymo

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Lol what a shocker, owner of company is on forums trying to get people to buy his product, disappears when is needed.
That's not true. Steven from Nanostate is legit, helpful, and responsive. I sent him several emails and he responded all of them. He mentioned they're overwhelmed with the Onyx orders and fell behind in responding to customers. My Onyx and Alienskin got delivered in the mail today (California, US)...YIPPIE! So I'd give him a break and try to contacting again at their regular email address. In fact I'm about to email him because I have some questions on installation.

Unfortunately, he's unable to answer any questions here because the Forum Administrator kicked him off the forums for posting videos. Hope that helps. ;)

Reactions: FenC and Texxy

jyn1989

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
not gonna wrap it. will pair it with a nice bumper/case
occasionally using it bare to the feelzzz

Samanosuke

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
That's not true. Steven from Nanostate is legit, helpful, and responsive. I sent him several emails and he responded all of them. He mentioned they're overwhelmed with the Onyx orders and fell behind in responding to customers. My Onyx and Alienskin got delivered in the mail today (California, US)...YIPPIE! So I'd give him a break and try to contacting again at their regular email address. In fact I'm about to email him because I have some questions on installation.

Unfortunately, he's unable to answer any questions here because the Forum Administrator kicked him off the forums for posting videos. Hope that helps. ;)

My stuff showed up yesterday as well. Now waiting on my Jet Black iPhone 7 to show up then I can cover it.

I will provide pics when I am done. If there is anything specific anyone wants to know about the installation of the Onyx, the Liquid Sapphire, or the Alien Skin, feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer any and all questions.

Full disclosure, I paid for the products in full and didn't have them sent to me for free. I'm only doing this to test for others and see if it does as claimed.

Reactions: crownr0yal

crownr0yal

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Bristol, RI
My stuff showed up yesterday as well. Now waiting on my Jet Black iPhone 7 to show up then I can cover it.

I will provide pics when I am done. If there is anything specific anyone wants to know about the installation of the Onyx, the Liquid Sapphire, or the Alien Skin, feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer any and all questions.

Full disclosure, I paid for the products in full and didn't have them sent to me for free. I'm only doing this to test for others and see if it does as claimed.

Looking forward to your review!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.