Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jvjlite

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2015
Hey Jvjlite. Reach out to Steven again at their regular email. Steven responded and answered my questions. He seems to be an honest business person.

Initially, Steven @nanostate was very responsive to my emails. The longer I've waited AND sent additional emails to them requesting shipping notification, I've received no response.

I ordered on 9-17 also and was told it would ship out on 9-20 and I should receive my order in 3-4 days (I live in US). I still have not received my order and also they will not respond to my emails requesting a tracking number. I thought this was a good company to work with but now I'm not so sure.

I know they have said they've been overwhelmed by orders, but those of us who ordered the VERY DAY they offered their discount (I actually ordered before the offered discount) should be considered before others who ordered later, IMO. I don't know what is going on, as they have not responded to my most recent emails requesting shipping notification/tracking number!

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm using a Slickwraps naked glossy and had to install a second one but I took my time and was extremely careful with the second install. I even cut two corner flaps that were slightly long.

It looks 99% perfect and I appreciate the scratch protection. When I hand my phone to friends they don't realize there is a skin but once I tell them to look at the corners closely they can tell. For me the glossy resembles the Jet Black finish.

IMG_9155.JPG

Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I'm using a Slickwraps naked glossy and had to install a second one but I took my time and was extremely careful with the second install. I even cut two corner flaps that were slightly long.

It looks 99% perfect and I appreciate the scratch protection. When I hand my phone to friends they don't realize there is a skin but once I tell them to look at the corners closely they can tell. For me the glossy resembles the Jet Black finish.

View attachment 663322

looking good! you mentioned 'a second one', did you order 2 or where there 2 wraps in one package?

Halt&CatchFire

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
This guy seemed like a snake oil salesman from day one. I've watched, asked questions, and waited. I'd like one, just one, positive review of the product. A video with even a little proof. The video HE HIMSELF has linked to is poorly done, and if you watch closely, you can see that the phone was scratched.

I'm disappointed to see you guys not getting your product and the lack of communication. He certainly had no problem communicating on MacRumors when he was on here hucking his magic drops.

I'll continue to watch and wait, and hope for the best for you guys. And if I see ONE representative review that looks good, I'll make the purchase too.

Reactions: raymo

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
2 wraps in one package... if you manage to mess up both they will mail you a replacement as part of their goof proof installation policy for the cost of shipping (about $3).

thanks for your quick reply. Do you have any good tips & trics before starting to aplly this skin?

thanks

ivigbash

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
I have applied one total body protectors from Gadgetshieldz. It acts like skin that covers and protects the flesh. And even looks like using raw, no trace of screen protector until you see microscopic.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
thanks for your quick reply. Do you have any good tips & trics before starting to aplly this skin?

thanks

Yes, watch their install video on youtube -
. It's quick so I probably watched it two or three times. My main tips are:
  • apply "Naked Juice" their wet application solution to your hands first, this way you won't get fingerprints on the sticky side of the wrap
  • don't use their microfiber cloth unless you keep a close eye because it will leave a couple of very tiny black fibers on your phone that would be stuck under the skin and could cause a bubble (I used a microfiber cloth that came with some RayBans) - if you look closely at their install video at 2:10 just below the volume down button you can see a spec of black like I'm describing that is definitely from their microfiber cloth
  • if you do use their cloth or notice any specs of anything on your phone you can take a piece of packing tape wrap it around your finger and use that to stick and remove any particles from your phone that you notice (saw this tip on another persons YouTube install video and it definitely works, packing tape is sticker than scotch tape but still leaves no residue)
  • spray the device like in their video not the wrap itself, this makes it wet enough to slide around but keeps the top, bottom and sides sticky
  • sit the phone vertical like in their video and line up the speaker holes on the bottom first, the speaker holes, lightning and screw holes are the most precise so this is important to have perfect
  • next line up the camera and flash - with the bottom and top lined up the rest will easily move into place
  • squeegee out as much moisture and air as you can immediately, then let the phone sit like they suggest and push out air bubbles again either using the card or a microfiber cloth or both
  • definitely use a hair dryer like they suggest on the corner flaps, work the corners so the seams line up as best as possible with the back of the wrap and then with the top/bottom (this will help make it truly look invisible)
  • I found my top corners to be too long by less than a mm but that was enough to make them overlap on my first install, they were cut the same on my second attempt so I used very sharp scissors to remove the tiniest sliver of the corner and that fixed the problem - but hopefully your wrap has corners that line up perfectly
  • take your time with the corners, if they aren't sitting wait a few minutes apply more heat from the hair dryer and press them again, also apply heat to the screen side edges and press those down so the wrap matches the curve of the device
If I end up having any corners peel I plan on doing an install video showing these suggestions. I hope they help you.

Reactions: Gzalito and Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Yes, watch their install video on youtube -
. It's quick so I probably watched it two or three times. My main tips are:
  • apply "Naked Juice" their wet application solution to your hands first, this way you won't get fingerprints on the sticky side of the wrap
  • don't use their microfiber cloth unless you keep a close eye because it will leave a couple of very tiny black fibers on your phone that would be stuck under the skin and could cause a bubble (I used a microfiber cloth that came with some RayBans) - if you look closely at their install video at 2:10 just below the volume down button you can see a spec of black like I'm describing that is definitely from their microfiber cloth
  • if you do use their cloth or notice any specs of anything on your phone you can take a piece of packing tape wrap it around your finger and use that to stick and remove any particles from your phone that you notice (saw this tip on another persons YouTube install video and it definitely works, packing tape is sticker than scotch tape but still leaves no residue)
  • spray the device like in their video not the wrap itself, this makes it wet enough to slide around but keeps the top, bottom and sides sticky
  • sit the phone vertical like in their video and line up the speaker holes on the bottom first, the speaker holes, lightning and screw holes are the most precise so this is important to have perfect
  • next line up the camera and flash - with the bottom and top lined up the rest will easily move into place
  • squeegee out as much moisture and air as you can immediately, then let the phone sit like they suggest and push out air bubbles again either using the card or a microfiber cloth or both
  • definitely use a hair dryer like they suggest on the corner flaps, work the corners so the seams line up as best as possible with the back of the wrap and then with the top/bottom (this will help make it truly look invisible)
  • I found my top corners to be too long by less than a mm but that was enough to make them overlap on my first install, they were cut the same on my second attempt so I used very sharp scissors to remove the tiniest sliver of the corner and that fixed the problem - but hopefully your wrap has corners that line up perfectly
  • take your time with the corners, if they aren't sitting wait a few minutes apply more heat from the hair dryer and press them again, also apply heat to the screen side edges and press those down so the wrap matches the curve of the device
If I end up having any corners peel I plan on doing an install video showing these suggestions. I hope they help you.

:) thanks a lot for these tips!!!

Reactions: kjparfekt

pravveen

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2016
@Newtons Apple
How does you product stop micro scratches? Give us some details.

The coating creates a hard invisible protective barrier, as in the post @cmfilms it won’t stop all micro scratches if it’s sand type material, sand has quartz in it and it’s very abrasive.

@Texxy
I am doing this with BestSkinsEver. Xtremeguard to me was never that good.

These skins are PET from China ours is a PU nanotechnology film from Germany top coated with our own technology for self healing also other features are shock resistance, anti yellow, and much much more. Please check out the features of Alien skin against these products and you will see ours are superior quality and have a lifetime guarantee to back it up, I guarantee you if you use Alien Skin you will see a massive difference. The gloss finish on the iPhone 7 jet black is not effected by the skin. (the coupon is below)

@mandurz
what about for the matte black. Would you recommend onyx? Or the liquid sapphire. I was thinking in one of these or the alien skin. I am very interested in your products

We have a product called Titanium which is for Anodised finishes, depending on how you treat your device would depend on the products you would choose. Our products are not wonder products some have limitations on what they can do. If you want total protection then Alien Skin is the best option. For example I have the iPhone 6s+ and used titanium I have 0 scratches on the back of the phone but I have dents on the corners where I’ve dropped the phone where is if I had used Alien Skin they would of been protected. So it’s swings and roundabouts.

@iphone4life6901
I have a question for you. When applying onyx to my jet black 7, do I need to avoid getting this coating over the camera lens and flash? Will it make a difference?

Hello and thanks for ordering with us and starting the post on the other thread about onyx.

You don’t need to worry about that as it will only stock to the surface of phone, not on glass or plastic, if you do get it on there just wipe it and it will be fine.

@Marco123
Hello, I would really like a coupon code. Would you ship to the UK?

We ship all over the world and we are based in the UK so no problem :)

COUPONS AND DETAILS
The code for the Onyx and free Alien skin back piece is : Macrumours

It won’t show your getting it as people don’t usually give products away free :) the cart would be very confused, so it’s discounted by 10 pence so I know what is required, just drop me an email with what you want 7 or 7+

I’m also going to offer a code for the full Alien Skin code is : allienskinMR

It will give you £7 off

(You will see the add coupon at the top of the form where you fill the address details out)

I’ve limited the amount to 10 each, so once it’s gone it’s gone.
Hi Steve this is Pravveen from India.i made purchase at nanostate online for liquid sapphire and titanium it's been two months but i didn't receive the products yet here is my receipt number 1787-3439.please check it out and resolve it ASAP

sharmaswt50

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Toronto, Canada.
This guy seemed like a snake oil salesman from day one. I've watched, asked questions, and waited. I'd like one, just one, positive review of the product. A video with even a little proof. The video HE HIMSELF has linked to is poorly done, and if you watch closely, you can see that the phone was scratched.

I'm disappointed to see you guys not getting your product and the lack of communication. He certainly had no problem communicating on MacRumors when he was on here hucking his magic drops.

I'll continue to watch and wait, and hope for the best for you guys. And if I see ONE representative review that looks good, I'll make the purchase too.
I got my Alien Skin and Onxy this morning in CA, I found the guy very polite and nice like everyone else in this thread, I had to wait a couple of days before my email was replied to but I got a reply and the answers I needed the only problem is that delivery was a long time 12 days in total, but product looks good can't wait to try it!

AWDV8TT

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
That was awesome! One question, are the fine scratches on the phone or on the case? I think I like it!

So, the phone does have some minor scratches that are difficult to see...been using it caseless for over a week now. Held up better than I expected. That being said what you're seeing IS the case.

So, it's been 24 hours of using this case....I'm not sure about it w/ the jet black. I think it's better suited for any other color. Because the Jet Black is so glossy it enhances the glossly look to the plastic of the case. The two together are almost too reflective and you see EVERYTHING. The back of the case is fingerprint riddled and even a quick wipe on your shirt doesnt really take care of it. I needed to pull out my microfiber cloth to wipe clean.

Also, I spent the last two years w/ the Apple leather case for daily duty and the Thule case for weekend adventuring. This Otterbox is MUCH less bulky than their other models but it's still considerably wider and more bulky than the leather. It's probably a good middle of the road case for thickness if the leather or silicon are at the lower end of the spectrum and the mil spec at the high end.

The leather on the bottom of the case is a nice addition and overall the case does feel good in the hand. No issues w/ any chargers fitting in. I will say the sleep and volume buttons require some effort but again, the case is 24 hours old and maybe will break in. I also have some specs of pocket lint or whatever between the case and the phone already.

I installed this case on a silver phone and it looks MUCH better. I don't think it's doing what I wanted...I wanted the jet black to be a feature that wasn't covered up and while it does that.....it's detracting away from it.

Now, if you're deadset on a clear backed case the history of this case is undeniable and I wouldn't cross it off the list. I think any clear case w/ good protection is going to have the same issues. This case also looks mature and not so 'outdoorsy'. It's not bad by any means. Just maybe not what I hoped.

Reactions: crownr0yal

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
After sales at Nanostate (Alien Skin and Onyx) is very bad, I emailed that after more then 36 hours I still had those ugly air bubbles (I applied it in a dust free room and cleaned my iPhone like a maniac before applying).
They replied that I applied it wrong, I followed very close their own instructions. I replied them with an email , heard nothing afterwards.

The Alien Skin from Nanostate feels sort like a heavy plastic condom around my iPhone. The price is about $50/€42 (incl shipping), which is in my opinion very expensive for a product that could easily cost just about $/€ 20-25 (incl shipping).

Reactions: Bandit1

sharmaswt50

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Toronto, Canada.
I din't bother putting Onyx on I didn't realize it was for JB only, so I just put the skin on it looks awesome. Took about 45 mins not like 10-15 mins as they said and if your not careful it could look awful...I don't think it looks like a condom thank god lol. I used BSE last year on my iphone 6s and the quality difference with this skin is superior, expensive but quality.

Attachments

• Skin1.png
    Skin1.png
    927.1 KB · Views: 437
  • skin-4.png
    skin-4.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 433
  • skin2.png
    skin2.png
    1 MB · Views: 421

Jayjew

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
Minneapolis

View attachment 663322
Is this on the matte blac?

Bandit1

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Ashburn, VA
After sales at Nanostate (Alien Skin and Onyx) is very bad, I emailed that after more then 36 hours I still had those ugly air bubbles (I applied it in a dust free room and cleaned my iPhone like a maniac before applying).
They replied that I applied it wrong, I followed very close their own instructions. I replied them with an email , heard nothing afterwards.

The Alien Skin from Nanostate feels sort like a heavy plastic condom around my iPhone. The price is about $50/€42 (incl shipping), which is in my opinion very expensive for a product that could easily cost just about $/€ 20-25 (incl shipping).

I agree. It isn't any better at Nanostate-USA either. Placed an order for an in-stock item (Liquid Sapphire) and sent an email three days later checking on a ship date...no response. They're pretty good at advertising their product at every opportunity and on just about every social website and forum, but their level of customer service is less than acceptable.

sharmaswt50

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Toronto, Canada.
And just like that I ordered a gloss wrap.
When you get it done, post some pics so we can see how it looks.
[doublepost=1475792833][/doublepost]
I agree. It isn't any better at Nanostate-USA either. Placed an order for an in-stock item (Liquid Sapphire) and sent an email three days later checking on a ship date...no response. They're pretty good at advertising their product at every opportunity and on just about every social website and forum, but their level of customer service is less than acceptable.
I don't know about the USA mine came from the UK and customer services and products are good, there is only a few negatives about them most are good if you look through the thread.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Anyone who has tried onyx on their JB, does it help against fingerprints at all? I don't mind the scratches so much as that constant oily film on it.

Halt&CatchFire

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I have purchased 3 thin, clear cases and one glossy wrap from SlickWraps. SlickWraps customer service has been garbage. They emailed me a promotion for an extra screen protector and set of wraps, and when I ordered from the promo, they didn't include it.

But I will say, the wrap looks much better than the cases. I ordered 2 Ringke cases, the slim and the natural (I think), and another off brand case by G-case. The g-case is the best of the cases by far. Very thin, and includes micro dots to prevent rainbowing.

I took off the skin due to a bad install. But I'm going to reinstall it, because in the areas where it was installled well, you couldn't tell it was on at all and the jet black really looked great.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Glad I read these new posts. Was going to order this alien skin after having the worst time with bestskinsever which SUCK! I will try the naked wrap and see if that fairs any better. Stay the hell away from best skins it left a residue on my iphone 6s like no other skin I have ever had. See picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 283
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.