Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2021
Currently own an 11” iPad Pro (2nd generation) with A12Z chip. This is my second iPad and I can’t remember how long my previous ipad Air lasted, it stopped working after about 4 years I think and actually stopped working after I started an update, which is why I’m hesitant to update as much now because of this. It was updating with the progress bar then the screen went black and didn’t ever turn back on. Pressing the power button just brought up a logo of a cable leading to a Mac I think then it just didn’t ever turn on even when plugged in and charging. I replaced it with the Pro and noticed it was just better in every way. Having said that, if I were to replace this current IPad Pro I have now with the upcoming M2 IPad Pro this year, would I notice any real differences?
i haven’t ever tried an M1 Ipad either. As long as my Pro works I can’t ever see me replacing it until I have to, possibly 2024 maybe?
How often do you keep your iPad for before replacing it for a newer model?
did you not try and recover it by connecting it to a Mac and going through iTunes?

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
iPad mini 2 in 2012, iPad Air 2 in 2016, iPad Pro 12.9 in 2019. Thinking about a new mini 6 (or 7) or a 11 pro in 2023/2024

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Waited for months like crazy for 12.9 M1 to be in stock(no Apple stores here), bought one in a 5G base spec in july/august 2021.
Now, if stage manager proves to be gimmick and no Mac apps get ported to run on over powered M1/M2 iPads, then I might sell my 12.9 M1
Had mine since launch. But I’m curious… what Mac apps are you looking to get ported over? I do think Apple has plans to bring over Mac apps.. however, it could be next year or 3 years down the line.

Reactions: rui no onna

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
iPads last a real long time for typical use cases (web browsing, email, and media consumption).
If you take care of it and don't bang it up, spill stuff on it, etc. probably 6-7 years is easily achievable.
I've replaced iPads every 2-3 years, but only because I've gotten distracted by the shiny new thing and decided I wanted it.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I upgraded my iPad pro 11" 2018 to the iPad Pro 12.9 2021. I figured with the M1 (and the now ability to use swap memory) will allow me to go a few years without needed to upgrade. I also wanted the ability to have faster transfer speeds since I have been learning to use Lumafusion for videos and editing directly from a external drive and the now ability to use the reference mode since I have a not so calibrated monitor for photo editing (personal stuff or else I would have bought one) I still have my 11" and still good to go, if my needs didn't change I would still be using the 11" 2018 one.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Original iPad on day 1, never really found a use for it.

Tried again with a loaded iPad Pro about a year ago, so... 11 years? :)

Still haven't found a personal use case for an iPad, but I think it's good tech, but I'm probably too Mac-oriented to find value in an iPad. Again, that's just me. I know others that do find great value in iPads, so this isn't a negative.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
iPads last a real long time for typical use cases (web browsing, email, and media consumption).
If you take care of it and don't bang it up, spill stuff on it, etc. probably 6-7 years is easily achievable.
I've replaced iPads every 2-3 years, but only because I've gotten distracted by the shiny new thing and decided I wanted it.
Yep. On 2017 iPad 5 here and likely another 1-2 years of reasonably good use. I try to avoid the pressure to continually replace with the latest (though not always successful). But you're right, taking care and with a good case, and they'll go a long way.

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Whenever there’s a killer deal. Recently got a current gen IPP 11” base model NEW for $650 tax free. My brain couldn’t let me pass that up.

Originally I had purchased a new MBA M2 BTO to compliment my MBP but now the MBA is still sitting in the box unopened and not sure what I’m gonna do.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Had mine since launch. But I’m curious… what Mac apps are you looking to get ported over? I do think Apple has plans to bring over Mac apps.. however, it could be next year or 3 years down the line.
Its not much, actually, only few audio editing apps.
The ones available natively for ipadOS are rather limited both in features as well as waveform editing accuracy, ie, there is no audio editing app for iPad where you can zoom in fully vertically and horizontally and edit the waveform up to the sample level resolution and have high res audio support and quality editing tools at hand in one app.
I think I have tried pretty much every iPadOS native audio editing app that takes itself seriously and none offer what desktop level apps offer, that level of control, mouse support - its just not there.
Im not even asking for Izotope RX(yet :p ), just your regular audio editor like WaveLab would do just fine(it has native Apple silicon support, there is similar one in Windows world, but without any sort of Apple version available called SoundForge, for example or one of the most well known - Audacity even could do the trick for a while, runs on almost every platform - Win, macOS, Linux).
If I wait for another 3 years, that would be very, very counter productive since I would achieve nothing in that time if I keep on using my iPad as my sole device for all the tasks.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If I wait for another 3 years, that would be very, very counter productive since I would achieve nothing in that time if I keep on using my iPad as my sole device for all the tasks.
The iPad is my primary computing device, but it’s not my sole device. I keep a PC for certain things, but if you are waiting for an audio editing app with those certain features then yeah you might have to jump ship to a MBA/MBP.

But who’s to say it won’t happen sooner… with the introduction of desktop class APIs and virtual memory swap (which is very important), it could possible happen next year.

Reactions: VaruLV

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
The iPad is my primary computing device, but it’s not my sole device. I keep a PC for certain things, but if you are waiting for an audio editing app with those certain features then yeah you might have to jump ship to a MBA/MBP.

But who’s to say it won’t happen sooner… with the introduction of desktop class APIs and virtual memory swap (which is very important), it could possible happen next year.
That MBP 14 that I tried for a week was impressive aside from bottom panel making noises, so yeah, I'm really tempted 😃

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That MBP 14 that I tried for a week was impressive aside from bottom panel making noises, so yeah, I'm really tempted 😃
I never actually tried it. But watched a few videos and read some articles about it. I have no doubts it’s an incredible device. It matches the 12.9 inch XDR display features and supposedly Apple has fixed blooming on those latest MBPs.

The amount I paid for this iPad model could have easily gotten me that MBP 14 inch, but I personally cannot see myself moving away from the iPad.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I never actually tried it. But watched a few videos and read some articles about it. I have no doubts it’s an incredible device. It matches the 12.9 inch XDR display features and supposedly Apple has fixed blooming on those latest MBPs.

The amount I paid for this iPad model could have easily gotten me that MBP 14 inch, but I personally cannot see myself moving away from the iPad.
If I knew that there's going to be 14" MBP in October last year and if I had patience to wait for it(and computer or tablet to use for a transitional period, because I sold my 10.5 iPP in April last year) I might have waited for it and gotten myself base iPad or Air 4 to go with it.

Didn't look for blooming on 14" specifically, but if I recall correctly, it was less visible than on my 12.9.

I have Thinkpad laptop that I bought last year, temporary solution and, frankly, I don't like it - keyboard is fine, but bottom plate clips are ultra fragile, palmrest plastics are rather soft, screen color accuracy and quality is crap and so is its battery life.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
First iPad was the Air 2 in 2016. Replaced it with the Air 4 in 2020 and just traded that in last night at Best Buy along with a 10 percent off coupon for the 11 inch iPad Pro. Plan to keep that for at least 4 years.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Well, the most recent change I made was when I sold the 2017 IPad Pro and bought the 2020 IPP (11”). It was not because the 2017 iPad stopped working. It was working just fine. But that model was plagued by what is reported here as the “white spot” problem - blemishes on the screen. My unit did not have that problem, but I was guessing it was only a matter of time till it surfaced. That would have driven down the value of the unit (I was trading into Apple and using the proceeds for the new unit). [Edit: I should also accept and mention the fact that I really liked - and still do like - the form factor of the 2020 11” IPP. That was also a factor - albeit a secondary one - that influenced my decision to upgrade.] So, I got my current 2020 IPP sometime in 2020. I don’t see any reason to change or upgrade it in the near future. My use of the iPad is heavy but not intensive. So, aside from the possibility that I may somehow damage the ipad, I see no reason why I should upgrade.

This being given, I would probably have a 4 year upgrade cadence (with many caveats).
I feel pretty much the same way, and had the same situation. I had the 10.5, upgraded to 2020 and don’t plan to upgrade unless it breaks. Phone however I will upgrade from 12 mini to 14 pro this year.

Reactions: kristalsoldier

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
The first years of the iPad I replaced it every year, the performance improved a lot over one year.

I’m still on my 2018 11” iPad Pro, and it feels super snappy still. I won't replace it until the 11” Pro comes with upgraded screen technology. It’s quite incredible that my iPad went from being my best portable display to my worst.

So how often do I replace my iPad nowadays? It depends, but not as often as I used to.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Whenever there is a significant enough of an upgrade. I went from the original to the 4, someone wanted my 4 so I got an Air. I had a first gen Pro 12.9. I am still using a 3rd gen.

I’ll evaluate the situation again when all the new ones are announced.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The first years of the iPad I replaced it every year, the performance improved a lot over one year.

So how often do I replace my iPad nowadays? It depends, but not as often as I used to.

Same. I used to upgrade every generation then stopped with the yearly updates after the 2017 iPad Pro.

Reactions: gotong

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I update once I see there is something about the new model I want to have. I have had the original iPad, iPad 2, Air, Air 2, 12.9 Pro 2018, 12.9 Pro M1, Mini 3-4-5-6 and I think thats it. I might have missed an update. I have had just about every phone and every other year watch. I dont keep any of them too long. I sell or repurpose or give away the older models. My 2018 iPad Pro would still be fine today, I updated the the M1 on speculation something big would happen with the processor and so far I have not needed it. I have not adopted stage manager yet like I thought I would but it’s all good. I doubt i will get the next Pro whatever it might be but will update the mini if they change the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.