Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ry-guy

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
North of Sweden
7th gen IPad was my first one, so is that like 9 years until i finally got one. So when iPad 15 comes out, maybe I’ll get another one.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
iPad 2 in 2011, still gets occasional use (apps not supported after ios9).
Just bought a BT keyboard for it (brand new for £15).

iPad Pro 12.9 in 2016 (just over 6 years old).
Still like a rocket, only downside is 32gb storage.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Went from iPad 3 to iPad Air 2, to iPad Air 4th gen, then iPad Air 5th gen. I jumped from the 4th to 5th Generation air mostly because of the ram upgrade. I will probably have this one for a while.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
If your current iPad still serves you well, then might as well save the money now and get an even bigger upgrade in the future. There's always something new around the corner.

When there are features on the new model I like or there are too many annoyances on my current device. I upgraded from the 2017 Pro when the reloads got to be too much and I saw the 2021 models weren't so anemic in terms of RAM.

I actually wish to upgrade my mini 6 (reloads again). Unfortunately, there's nothing better in that form factor.
The mini 5. I quickly returned my mini 6 and located a still new mini 5. They are tough to find. So I picked up a spare refurb as well. I’m guessing the mini 6 will be enough of a disaster that Apple discontinues the mini.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
How often do you keep your iPad for before replacing it for a newer model?
Running an iPad Pro 11 as well.

Here is our family schedule:
iPhone Pro = 1 year
iPad = 2 years
AppleTV = 3 or 4 years
MacBook Pro = 3 years
iMac = 4 years
MacMini = 5 years

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The mini 5. I quickly returned my mini 6 and located a still new mini 5. They are tough to find. So I picked up a spare refurb as well. I’m guessing the mini 6 will be enough of a disaster that Apple discontinues the mini.

Apart from the low 4GB RAM, I don't have any major gripes with the mini 6. The mini 5 has even less RAM at 3GB so that's not gonna solve my main issue.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Apart from the low 4GB RAM, I don't have any major gripes with the mini 6. The mini 5 has even less RAM at 3GB so that's not gonna solve my main issue.
no issues with my mini 6 either. up to date for me is worth it over the older minis.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I dont see myself upgrading my 11" M1 pro for at least 3 years or more. I had my 6th gen base model for 3 years and would have easily held onto it longer if I hadn't smashed it by accident and used it as an excuse to upgrade lol.

Reactions: MarkC426

ItsMeMicke

macrumors regular
May 4, 2022
Still got the iPad Pro 9,7”, serves me well. I hope it will work well with iPadOS 16 :)

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I've only had 2 iPads, I got the 9.7" iPad Pro base model when it was on sale in its release year, and only this year I replaced with a lovely new iPad Pro 11" M1 which I love and use all the time. So not sure how many years but a few.
I think the only time I'll replace it is when Apple make foldable iPhones so an iPhone can be an iPad Mini as well, and if it gets the Apple M chips too. But that won't be for a few years.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Personally I feel 'foldable' phones are the biggest mistake Samsung has ever made.

Maybe it's just me, but the whole concept appears ridiculous......🙃
I really hope Apple don't follow suit.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I’m still using my 2018 11” iPad Pro. So going on 4 yrs now. It even replaced my laptop as my main computer. I’m an artist who travels a lot & love my iPad Pro. I do heavy photo & video editing on it. I originally got the 1TB model so it has 6 gigs of ram. Maybe that has something to do with it’s longevity. I dunno. But I have no issues whatsoever. I was going to upgrade last year to the M1 version, but it didn’t get the mini LED screen like the 12.9” so I didn’t. And if you believe MacRumors, the 11” iPad Pro won’t get the mini LED screen this year either. So I just may hold onto mine for another year… or more! Who knows. 🤷‍♂️ As long as the software still runs on it, I’m good. 👍🏼

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I originally got the 1TB model so it has 6 gigs of ram. Maybe that has something to do with it’s longevity.
Totally, that is why my 1st gen iPad Pro is still going strong, as when it was released it was leaps and bounds more powerful than the regular iPad. Even up to a year ago, the newest iPad was only about as powerful as my Pro (ok it had a newer proc).
It really paid to spend the extra on a 'Pro' for the extended useability.....;)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Personally I feel 'foldable' phones are the biggest mistake Samsung has ever made.

Maybe it's just me, but the whole concept appears ridiculous......🙃
I really hope Apple don't follow suit.

I don't want one myself - at least now - but I'm fine with them offering them as a line unto themselves. If there's a market for them (i.e., $), Apple will make them.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I‘m using a 2017 iPad Pro (the older form factor) and it still works perfectly fine. The battery obviously doesn‘t last anywhere near as long as it did back when I first got it, and it does have the issue with the white spots on the display. But functionally, everything still works.

I‘d like to get one with the newer form factor, but I can‘t really justify spending another 600-800€ on a new iPad Air or Pro when my 2017 model still does everything I need it to do.

I figure the battery will eventually be too bad to properly use it as a portable device, but at that point I could still swap the battery for 109€ through Apple. Whether I‘ll actually do that or use the opportunity to upgrade, I don‘t know yet. But by then this one will have lasted more than five years.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I‘m using a 2017 iPad Pro (the older form factor) and it still works perfectly fine. The battery obviously doesn‘t last anywhere near as long as it did back when I first got it, and it does have the issue with the white spots on the display. But functionally, everything still works.

I‘d like to get one with the newer form factor, but I can‘t really justify spending another 600-800€ on a new iPad Air or Pro when my 2017 model still does everything I need it to do.

I figure the battery will eventually be too bad to properly use it as a portable device, but at that point I could still swap the battery for 109€ through Apple. Whether I‘ll actually do that or use the opportunity to upgrade, I don‘t know yet. But by then this one will have lasted more than five years.

I had a 2017 12.9 iPad Pro until last year swapped it out for a 2020 M1 11 iPad Pro

It had bad backlight spotlighting but still worked fine outside of that. Still, I felt ready for an upgrade that thing was a humongous form factor with old style iPad and the huge screen

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
iPad Air 2
iPad pro 1st Gen
iPad pro 11 2018
iPad pro 12.9 2020
iPad pro 11 m1

Not necessarily interested in an m2 iPad if there is one, if the chip is the only major change.
Is this a list of iPads you own, or your history........😜

Benlurks1010

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2022
I’m planning to replace my month-old iPad 9 with an Air or a Pro when the battery starts going…I have no idea when that’s going to be though, the battery life on this thing is fantastic so I suspect I have plenty of time to save up!
Although…now that this iPad has been assigned a proper trade in value, I may try to swap it for an Air or M1 Pro...I mostly just want the laminated screen, stereo landscape speakers and some more RAM :)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
5 years and counting (iPad Pro 12.9 inch, 2nd gen). Wanted to change the battery in the last weeks because I suspected it to be weak, but the Apple support ran diagnostics and found the battery health at 88 %. Seems like an iOS problem more than a hardware issue - I'll just erase everything and set it up again, should be "as new" for my usage. As a writer and a bit of a gamer (Diablo Immortal, Hearthstone and Apple Arcade games), it is more than enough. Would a M1 or upcoming M2 iPad be nice? Hell yeah. But I already have a big nice screen (minus the mini-LED), ProMotion and quad speakers. Additionally, the prices will go up inevitably when you watch MacBook and iPhone territory (+150 euros at least), so I just tell myself I'll be fine. :)

BTT, before upgrading to the iPP 2017, i had an iPad 4th gen (2012). So there's that.

Reactions: wallah

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
Currently own an 11” iPad Pro (2nd generation) with A12Z chip. This is my second iPad and I can’t remember how long my previous ipad Air lasted, it stopped working after about 4 years I think and actually stopped working after I started an update, which is why I’m hesitant to update as much now because of this. It was updating with the progress bar then the screen went black and didn’t ever turn back on. Pressing the power button just brought up a logo of a cable leading to a Mac I think then it just didn’t ever turn on even when plugged in and charging. I replaced it with the Pro and noticed it was just better in every way. Having said that, if I were to replace this current IPad Pro I have now with the upcoming M2 IPad Pro this year, would I notice any real differences?
i haven’t ever tried an M1 Ipad either. As long as my Pro works I can’t ever see me replacing it until I have to, possibly 2024 maybe?
How often do you keep your iPad for before replacing it for a newer model?
I got the very first iPad. Skipped the 2, got “the new iPad.” Then had none until iPad Pro in 2015. I still have it for running iOS 15.X.X I got the second Gen iPad Pro 12.9, but traded it in/sold it. Then A12x new form factor 12.9”, it broke in the parking lot. Fell out of my bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.