Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
"iPhone 7S Pro" so you know it, without even Apple confirming it. i Highly doubt Apple will come with that name.

Edit :- To me iPhone 8 makes more Sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattysmith118

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
iPhone Pro makes sense. Just like the iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro. Pro makes it sound desirable so they can charge more for it. :) Simple marketing that works for Apple....

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Apple will offer 3 models: 7S, 7S PLUS and 7S PRO. The 7S PRO will offer a slightly different aesthetics with more features.

If it has a 120hz Promotion display like the new iPad Pros then I'm on Board.

However. I think very possibly Apple will be getting rid of Numbered Names altogether. Because they are behind Samsung now. Galaxy 8s Plus vs the IPhone 7s Plus

IMO total speculation the 7s line will be renamed IPhone Edition for both sizes confusing but you own a MacBook Pro regardless of size you don't own a MacBook Pro Plus.

And the OLED 5.8" rumored iPhone 8 will IMO be called the IPhone Pro

Pro features

#1. OLED Display 125%sRGB Color Gamut coverage
#2. HDR
#3. Pro Phtography with a mega new camera new Specs.
#4. The A11 will be Feature HMP heterogeneous multi processing
#5. 4GB RAM

Just enough features to make it "Pro" then next years 6.3" OLED IPhone Pro will feature the 120hz Promotion display. And last years 5.8" Pro with new Specs but no 120hz display will just be called IPhone Edition.

Reactions: ianrip

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Why not just call it the iPhone. Then have the old models available for less. Reset the numbers.

Reactions: Fuchal

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
iPhone 8 makes no sense and won’t happen.
iPhone Pro doesn’t make sense considering everything, and won’t happen.

The likely candidates are iPhone Edition and iPhone X.

iPhone Edition and iPhone X(10??) make sense but iPhone 8 doesnt make any sense?

Ok

Reactions: Precursor

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
"7S Pro" only makes sense if it bears any actual relation to the (theoretical) base level 7S.

Since by all accounts it doesn't, and is a very different device, it's more likely going to have its own unique name that distances it from the 7S entirely.

Reactions: bob24 and Appleaker

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
iPhone Edition and iPhone X(10??) make sense but iPhone 8 doesnt make any sense?

Ok
Is it really so hard to understand? Firstly X wouldn’t be pronounced 10, and it is the internal name right now. iPhone 10 (if they stick with the numbers) would be called ‘iPhone 10’ :eek:. But the most likely in my mind right now is Edition.

iPhone 8 makes no sense, the only reason why people think it makes sense is because they’re used to it from the many months it’s been referred to as iPhone 8. I said it at the beginning and I’ll say it again, it won’t be called 8. I don’t understand how anyone can’t understand this. Releasing a 7S and 8 in the same year?

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
What about iPhone 7S, IPhone 7S Plus and iPhone 7X?

Or what about we just ^*%#* wait until September and in the meanwhile we can read some books or do some Science :D

Reactions: blkjedi954

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Presuming just for sh*ts and giggles that it's called the "iPhone Pro", what will the next version be called ?

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
I also agree with a few people, I don't see it being called the "8" like stated we been calling it that and we're used to it. That will mess up the whole numbering system moving forward into next sept. Unless next year they just call it 8s and 8s plus. But I don't see them releasing 2 different numbers this year. Just my opinion

Reactions: Appleaker

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
The probable names in decreasing order of probability are:

iPhone edition (90%)
iPhone (9%)
The iPhone (1%)

There’s no way in hell that it will be called iPhone 8 or iPhone X.

Reactions: mccardj

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If it has a 120hz Promotion display like the new iPad Pros then I'm on Board.

However. I think very possibly Apple will be getting rid of Numbered Names altogether. Because they are behind Samsung now. Galaxy 8s Plus vs the IPhone 7s Plus

IMO total speculation the 7s line will be renamed IPhone Edition for both sizes confusing but you own a MacBook Pro regardless of size you don't own a MacBook Pro Plus.

And the OLED 5.8" rumored iPhone 8 will IMO be called the IPhone Pro

Pro features

#1. OLED Display 125%sRGB Color Gamut coverage
#2. HDR
#3. Pro Phtography with a mega new camera new Specs.
#4. The A11 will be Feature HMP heterogeneous multi processing
#5. 4GB RAM

Just enough features to make it "Pro" then next years 6.3" OLED IPhone Pro will feature the 120hz Promotion display. And last years 5.8" Pro with new Specs but no 120hz display will just be called IPhone Edition.

I wouldn't mind them calling it iPhone Pro it fits the line of other devices (iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac Pro and so on) but I do think the pro features will be more like:

1 - OLED display
2 - 3D sensing camera for VR and front facing for facial recognition
3 - wireless charging
4 - A11 chip
5 - bezeless design with stainless steel frame and a glass back (like the iPhone 4 and 4s)

I think the pro-motion could be included because the iPad Pro has it now or they could as you said wait until next years iPhone Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.