Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I want:

- siri to be able to respond to notifications/pop up questions
- application virtualisation. i want to be able to right click, open a suspicious document in a disposable VM container (like Qubes OS)
- better/official thunderbolt e-GPU support - i want to be able to render to the internal display using an external GPU
- ZFS support

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Grab:

Send to Preview button after capturing a screen.

Currently, after capturing a screen you have to copy the capture, open preview, Select new from clipboard before you can do anything with your screen capture.
Cmd + Shift + 4. Once done, it is on desktop. Open it, and do whatever you like. I rarely use Cmd + Shift + 3 now.
Highlight text in different colors.
Hand this task to Keynote, Microsoft PowerPoint, or something alike.
Basic drawing tools in Photos would be very useful - similar to preview (arrows, lines, text boxes).
Again, not what Photos should do basically, although yes, it would be great to have it.
To be continued...

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
More cowbell.

Honestly, I miss the color tagging. They used to encompass the entire text of files and folders. Now they're just dots. Some things Apple just changes for the sake of change.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Insert more than one picture into the contact. Example: Picture of spouse.
You can use Photoshop to do this, and you can even add more photos in one. Currently I don't find the point to add more photos in a single contact.
  • An option to configure Messages on the Mac to work like iOS Messages.
In iOS - Pressing enter moves to the next line of the message. Click Send when you want to send the message.

In OSX - The enter key sends the message. If you want to type multiple lines in a message you have to press control enter for each line and then press enter at the end of the message.
I agree this. Apple should consider consistency in this detail. However, Ctrl+Enter or Enter to send message is more like a personal preference, you know. But yes, this should be an option.
  • Green button = Maximize window to largest possible size with Dock and Menu Bar visible
  • Separate Full Screen Button
Magnet is almost perfect for this matter. Now I no longer bother wasting time on messing green button.
Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 10.
Could be a bonus, but with App Expose and quick three-finger gesture, this is less needed than in Windows 7. And I find three-finger gesture is really fast to use anyway.

I do hope Apple could implement Dark Mode system-wide. This would be very helpful when using computers at night.

Reactions: !!!

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I would like Safari fixed of its bugs, iTunes to be overhauled, UI animations (especially transparency) being less graphically intensive, the OS reversed of its dumb'd-down aspects, and no further bloating.

Honestly, Mac OS IS actually becoming the 'baby OS' Winblows users have been calling it since 1984. Not only that, it's rather buggy still and certain applications (like iTunes & Safari) have been ruined. I appreciate the fact that they decided to - for the first time in a while - focus on speed improvements again, beginning with El Capitan, but the transparency feature in the OS proves to be graphically intensive. All UI lag is gone once I disable transparency... and I hate doing so because it feels like I am stripping the OS to its minimum. But, no, I can't touch anything beyond that because the OS is so locked down now.

Snow Leopard was the last impressive version of Mac OSX. Mountain Lion was good as well, but things had already started becoming bad then.

BTW, I don't condone the release of yet ANOTHER new OS and another version dismissed. Since all Cook cares about is money, he's purposefully releasing new versions of Mac OSX every year, in hopes that it will (and it does) push older models into obsolescence. Why not just fix El Capitan and keep it for a while?
[doublepost=1460791807][/doublepost]So how does the rest of the dock look? Also, are there any added UI theme options?
[doublepost=1460792109][/doublepost]
More cowbell.

Honestly, I miss the color tagging. They used to encompass the entire text of files and folders. Now they're just dots. Some things Apple just changes for the sake of change.

Exactly! I never used the dumb tags for their names either; it was nice that the color would encompass the entire piece of text - that way, it was as if I could have certain files 'highlighted,' so as to mark their importance and such. Also, the fact that we've had gray Finder icons for the past however many years is extremely aggravating. The UI designers are assuming that we're gonna want to look at a tiny icon or view the text in order to make our selection; however, in previous versions of Mac OSX, the fact that the icons were colored made it much easier for me to identify them without even having to focus much on the text or icon itself. They seriously need to revoke these stupid Finder sidebar icons.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg, in regards to things Apple should fix about their operating system. It's still miles ahead of any other OS, but it's essentially a new feat of degradation each darn time a new OS is released (which is now every freaking year). Mac OS may finally become the 'toy' OS that Winblows users have been calling it for the past 30+ years.

Last edited:

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
You can use Photoshop to do this, and you can even add more photos in one. Currently I don't find the point to add more photos in a single contact.

Understand :)

Different people with different jobs to do.

The contacts picture is just too small to adequately show two people. In addition, the second picture doesn't necessarily have to be their spouse. For example, the second photo could be a car pic, house pic, service related picture etc.
[doublepost=1460916594][/doublepost]
Cmd + Shift + 4. Once done, it is on desktop. Open it, and do whatever you like. I rarely use Cmd + Shift + 3 now.

I like CMD+Shift+4. There is a disadvantage to this command - You have to delete files off the desktop after the task is finished.

For this reason, I use Grab in preparing school lessons. Send to Preview would be consistent with other Apple apps, save time and simplify the process of extracting and reusing information.
[doublepost=1460916798][/doublepost]
I do hope Apple could implement Dark Mode system-wide. This would be very helpful when using computers at night.

I have no need for Dark Mode - however if you need it I would be glad petition for the option.
[doublepost=1460917325][/doublepost]
Could be a bonus, but with App Expose and quick three-finger gesture, this is less needed than in Windows 7. And I find three-finger gesture is really fast to use anyway.

Here is a comment from 9to5mac.com

"HyperDock (on the Mac App Store) is a must-have app for OS X in my eyes, as it brings the ability to preview what’s running in the dock without fully opening an app window. When HyperDock is active, simply hovering over an open app in the Dock will reveal a small preview window displaying its current state.

I find HyperDock to be especially useful when you have more than one window open for a single application. HyperDock will allow you to preview both windows right from the dock without opening either window.

The great thing about HyperDock is that the previews can be large enough to actually display content therein. It even updates the small preview screenshot of the apps running in your Dock to show their current state. For instance, if your Twitter timeline is refreshed, you’ll see a preview of the timeline’s latest state, even if the app is minimized into the Dock."

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/23/how-to-display-window-previews-apps-mac-os-x-dock/

In my opinion HyperDock functionality should be part of the MacOS as I mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I like CMD+Shift+4. There is a disadvantage to this command - You have to delete files off the desktop after the task is finished.

For this reason, I use Grab in preparing school lessons. Send to Preview would be consistent with other Apple apps, save time and simplify the process of extracting and reusing information.
Then if you don't want a file on desktop and delete it after then, Cmd + Ctrl + Shift + 4 would be your best bet. Yes, too many keys, but here, you can do that.
The great thing about HyperDock is that the previews can be large enough to actually display content therein.
Three-finger gesture up to preview all apps with opened window, and four-finger down to preview all opened window for current foreground app.
But if HyperDock could preview contents of any window regardless of their open status (foreground or minimized) then that would be great. But, I don't know if you have noticed that, Windows 10 preview for program is somewhat too small for higher resolution screen. This is less intuitive than what OS X currently does.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Finder:

Show Hidden Files. This should apply only to the Finder Window.
There is already a command to change property of showing hidden files.
Given El Capitan introduces SIP, conventional users should even stay away from those hidden files/folders.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
There is already a command to change property of showing hidden files.
Given El Capitan introduces SIP, conventional users should even stay away from those hidden files/folders.

Which command are you referring to?

Some terminal commands that show hidden files also show hidden files outside of the Finder such as the desktop. This is why I stated that this option should only apply to the Finder window.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Which command are you referring to?

Some terminal commands that show hidden files also show hidden files outside of the Finder such as the desktop. This is why I stated that this option should only apply to the Finder window.
However, given that Windows may show hidden files showed on desktop, why you request Apple to provide an option to show hidden files ONLY at desktop? "Desktop" is basically a folder in OS file system, as you may know. You can access all files stored at desktop folder in Finder. If I put a hidden file on desktop, and turn "show hidden files" on, then that file will eventually appear at desktop. No difference.
I do want an option to control if I need to show hidden files or not, though, if Apple want to give, which is unlikely.

Oh, if you want to know how I control this feature using terminal, here is the command:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
However, given that Windows may show hidden files showed on desktop, why you request Apple to provide an option to show hidden files ONLY at desktop? "Desktop" is basically a folder in OS file system, as you may know. You can access all files stored at desktop folder in Finder. If I put a hidden file on desktop, and turn "show hidden files" on, then that file will eventually appear at desktop. No difference.
I do want an option to control if I need to show hidden files or not, though, if Apple want to give, which is unlikely.

Oh, if you want to know how I control this feature using terminal, here is the command:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

I guess there is a misunderstanding here..... Only wanting to show hidden files inside the Finder. Sorry for any confusion.

pedrorito

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Here is my list.
I think this has to happen this year for sure. It is needed for everyone: consumers and developers.

App Store
- Merge iOS/tvOS App Store with Mac App Store. It doesn't make sense anymore for Mac to have a separated one, and it is very outdated.
- Provide the option for trials. This is essential. Devs don't put Apps in the Mac App Store also because of this. Mac Apps are expensive and people need the option to try it before spending money.
- Windows 10 Store is getting traction. Devs are getting used to App Stores, with iOS, Android and now Windows 10. So Apple, fix the App Store on the Mac, please!

Universal Apps
- With the same App Store, the door would be open for introducing true Universal Apps. Same App submitted to the App Store available in the different OS.
- Xcode would need improvement here too. The same workspace for App development, with the possibility to generate different interfaces for the different target OS. It would be much easier for developers to develop Apps that could be available everywhere.

iTunes
- It is time to deprecate iTunes. Who likes iTunes? No one!!!
- It would be much better to have on the Mac, what we have in iOS: different Apps - Apple Music, Movies, iTunes Store, etc. No one wants a big App called iTunes trying to integrate everything with no success. Also, since iCloud is not perfect yet, and iTunes would not be used anymore to sync iOS devices, it would be necessary to create a small and simple App to sync devices.

Finally, rebrand it to macOS and these changes would be enough to call it macOS 11. No UI changes are necessary.

This is the way:
https://medium.com/swlh/macos-it-s-time-to-take-the-next-step-ee7871ccd3c7#.q9u5q0qys

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

Fuzzy Dunlop

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
To be able to scale system fonts without scaling the entire desktop. Basically, to increase the size of the menubar at high resolution, so you can have more space and still be able to read the items clearly. (for those of us with poor eyesight)

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
- Return Save As (I would like to see Save As on the Menu Bar also)
-> Afaik if you apply a keyboard shortcut (I have shift-cmd-S), the menu item will show up again without having to use the opt key.

I would like to see improved Finder. Besides some bugfixes, a rather useful feature would be to sync selected folders to iCloud Drive instead of having to move stuff either/or to the iCloud Drive folder.

Spotlight: Let the user sort the result categories. I mostly use Spotlight for dictionary lookups, but dictionary results are usually further down so I have to scroll through irrelevant results every time.

Photos App: No comment. (Yes, I think it's really that bad.) :D

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
A useful feature would be to sync selected folders to iCloud Drive instead of having to move stuff either/or to the iCloud Drive folder. Spotlight: Let the user sort the result categories. I mostly use Spotlight for dictionary lookups said:
Nice ideas!

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
By https://forums.macrumors.com/members/insomniac86.997831/

My macOS feature request list (in random order)
-Siri
-Proactive (further evolved to be more like google cards)
-dark mode across more UI elements
-finder: change green window button behaviour, old behaviour and full window (like Windows)
-finder: folders on top sort option
-transfer calls from phone to macOS (currently only the other way around)
-separate iTunes features, audiobooks, Apple Music etc
-silently auto map network drive (without opening finder window)
-unlock and login with Apple Watch
-Touch ID via new trackpad and Magic Mouse
-global notifications synced across all devices
-finder: get info shows total size of multiple selected folders
-pinch to zoom file/folder icon size in finder
-vastly improved SMB performance
-iCloud backup time machine
-iCloud Drive: select folders to sync offline.
-health app
-finder: right click new document
-power options like caffeine built in
-previous versions for iCloud Drive
-safari PIP
-Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 7-10.

Reactions: boston04and07

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I modified the original posting with the following changes:

Grab:

Share:
- Send to Email
- Send to Messages
- Send to Preview button after capturing a screen. (Added on March 28, 2016)
  • Currently, after capturing a screen you have to copy the capture, open preview, Select new from clipboard before you can do anything with your screen capture.
- Export in different formats such as jpeg and png.

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
for one thing it will never happen but give us an old ui option with the old dock and menu bar siri will b awesome i don't see the problem people have with iTunes does everything i want it to do just fine , update the app store and make it universal so i can buy iOS apps on my mac without iTunes store

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Apple Notes: The lack of default font options causes problems
http://www.macworld.com/article/305...-of-default-font-options-a-small-problem.html

"Apple made a bewildering design decision: They don’t allow users to choose a default font and size in the OS X version of the app."

"Not only is the font size a problem, but if you use hyperlinks in your notes, their pale baby-chick yellow color contrasts poorly against the white background. If you already need to squint to read the small black text, reading links is even harder."

click

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
This is a problem – for me – especially in Calendar. Default font is tiny and on weekends you actually have gray text on gray background in tiny, teeny fonts. Then you double-click the event and it opens – good, larger text (gray on gray in some cases but who cares). Then I click on start time, say 13:00, and instead of allowing me to edit that, the bubble expands and the time I clicked on is no longer in the position where my mouse cursor was. When I roll over the date, nothing happens – I have to guess it's clickable. But when I roll over "Repeat: None" a dropdown appears.

This is not a good design from any point of view. It's uncomfortable to read for people with less than 50-50 vision. It's inconsistent. It's making me guess what is clickable and what isn't as there are no distinguishing features. I can't make the font larger, change it, nada. I realise Jony Ive doesn't design everything by himself, but surely this has been approved by someone. I'd like to meet that someone and ask them a few questions.

See also: sidebar in Mail.

Reactions: grahamperrin

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
i don't have any issues with the mail sidebar but i see where you guys are coming from for calendar even though i don't use it myself. i still wish apple had kept the leopard through mavericks design

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.