Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
*installs Sierra*
*discovers Siri doesn't work*
*Sierra crashes twice within five minutes*
*restores El Cap from TM backup*

I have to wait for my folders on top a tad longer...

Phimean618

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas, Texas
1. Kick Apple in the butt for installing Siri in desktops.
2. Have a means to disable Remote Desktop Client.
3. NOT have a uncontrolled backdoor that reports ALL user actions to Apple.
4. Apple should restore their honor and integrity.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
https://medium.com/@Pier/what-i-d-like-to-see-in-osx-10-12-3b58edd7e85b#.g17tk6yye

Points I agree with:

UI Scaling
  • I want to to be able to scale the UI to 125% to make text more readable across the whole OS without any ugly resolution interpolation.
Better window management
  • Windows is much better at this than OSX has ever been. You should (at least) be able to maximize a window.
Better control of default application and file icons

I want to be able to define which apps open which types of files and not have OSX mess with that without my permission. Say you assign Photoshop to open JPG files instead of Preview. I would expect all JPG files to get a Photoshop icon instead of a Preview icon, but that doesn’t happen automatically.

Also if you install another application afterwards that also opens JPG files, like say Affinity Photo, OSX may even change your default application (and even maybe the file icon) without asking you.

Bring back the old color labels in Finder

Call me old fashioned, but I’ve missed those labels since Apple removed them in Mavericks. The color dots are useless to me and many others.

I also hate the dots. The old color labels, with square edges instead of rounded ones, would be fantastic. I also want the Finder icons not be the dully gray that they've been since Lion or so... it's awful.
[doublepost=1509875191][/doublepost]The following has always annoyed me: the desktop background settings don't show my own photos in the order in which I have them. Is there not a fix for this? I know it's the least of OSX's issues, but it still irks me to this day.
[doublepost=1509875454][/doublepost]I want the dock to be 3D. It can still be translucent and simple, but it would be nice if it were something along the lines of the Mountain Lion/Mavericks dock.

Also, although the UI was refreshed, beginning with Yosemite (and to the dismay of several), certain things haven't been refreshed well. Title bars are still bland; they used to be gray because they were meant to look sort of like brushed metal. Well, since they're not metal anymore, they might as well not be such a gross shade of gray. Why not have them look more interesting? A dark theme all across (or at least applying to right-click menus and such) would be nice, too.

By the way, iTunes totally needs to be scrapped. I just want to listen to my local music and not be pestered by all the new trash which the application has to offer. I miss the simplicity and intuitiveness of iTunes 5 (or whatever I used to use back in the days of Tiger/Leopard/SL).
[doublepost=1509875787][/doublepost]
MacWorld UK OSX 10.12 wish List

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac-...-date-rumours-el-capitan-macos-3630374/#toc-7

Suggestions I agree with:

• Faster more accurate Spotlight
  • iCoud Drive to an external drive
  • Restore Save As - "We're still not sure why Apple replaced Save-As, but we think Apple should rethink the approach. The new approach to file saving hasn't gained wider industry traction, and it's just confusing to everybody.
  • Clock App for OS X - Wouldn't it be great if OS X had a proper Clock app, with all the functionality of the Clock app in iOS. The widget is fine, but a dedicated app with Alarm, Stopwatch and Timer functionality for OS X would come in handy.
  • iCloud Time Machine
  • Health app for OS X

I think 'save-as' should just appear once the document has already been saved. (It could appear below the normal 'save,' in case those who click instead of using key commands will still be able to hit it). No sense in the redundancy of having 'save-as' be there from the start. Once it's saved as something, the only time you'd need 'save-as' is when you wish to completely alter the original file name.
[doublepost=1509875862][/doublepost]When I take screenshots, it sometimes takes several seconds for said screenshot to actually appear on the desktop. Why? It used to be instant, with older versions of OSX. I've been in plenty of situations where I've needed to send a screenshot to someone, and I ended up having to wait until the thing decided to appear on the desktop.
[doublepost=1509876106][/doublepost]Darn... I am sure I am forgetting so many things which I'd like to add. Might as well just take not of occurrences as they happen. By the way, Split View is SO lame, I've forgotten how to do it. Shows how useful it's been. It's so clunky.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I use cDock (3D dock, duh), XtraFinder (coloured icons), Bartender (cleans up the menu bar)... but haven't found anything that would make tags useful. Those dots make no sense. And Apple Calendar remains one of the least user friendly (has ANYBODY tested the UX for this?) and ugliest apps I've seen in my life, but I'm not quite ready to shell €39 on Fantastical.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I still want my C compiler in the base system, but if I can't get that, then at least split the horrifying disaster known as Xcode into smaller pieces so that one can get a C build system without having to shove an insane 5.46 gigabyte download through the network.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So looks like a couple of things I asked for have had work...

Siri : still garbage. I want it to be an assistant, not just tell her things to search for or open. I can do that faster with the keyboard.

I should be able to tell Siri something like "i'm busy until 3pm, don't bug me unless it is important" (i.e., repeated call, important flag on email, etc. like Do not Disturb works) to suppress all pop ups incoming calls, emails, intelligently auto-respond to calendar invites, etc. without me needing to be involved. Then when 3pm comes around, give me a summary of what she did for approval, e.g.

While you were busy:
You were called by Jim at 1pm, Bob at 1:45 and Sam at 2:30, would you like to call back?
I declined 2 invitations for you while you were busy working, and replied "tentative" for 3 appointments tomorrow at 10am, 2pm and 4pm based on your calendar availability, should I confirm these? There are software updates available, would you like me to do these between 6pm and 7pm while you are out of the office this evening?

To me, a "digital assistant" isn't worthy of the name until it can act at least somewhat like a personal assistant.

I.e., siri needs a lot more focus on the AI aspect, not just act as a voice activated knowledge base/search engine or application launcher.

eGPU got supported

Application virtualization - not here yet but some of the building blocks are coming. Hypervisor framework is a thing now, AppleFS can do sparse copies so it is conceivable that the OS could spin up zero space required copy of MacOS in a container and load a document inside it for example.

So getting there. Still a long way to go though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.