Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scatopie

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Excellent thank you so much for taking the time to help me .
Hmm thinking about it, he may have to watch a video or something. It is not straight forward. Here is a video I found, but is incomplete in terms of setting up a License:

In short the workflow is this:
- Download Unity Hub (this is like a project manager)
- From the Hub, Install the actual Unity SDK/Editor (this is what he will use to make games)
- He will be prompted to link a License somewhere down the line
- Will need to create a Unity account first using an email
- Navigate to screen that lets him create a free License with his email
- Finally link his License to the installed Unity Editor/Hub on his computer by signing in
- Then he can start developing with Unity by creating a project, which is also not completely obvious where to navigate in Hub (needs to choose project directory, and then a whole bunch of other options like using different engines underneath).

This should teach him how to use YouTube and the internet, though, haha!

If he wants to deploy to iOS though (test on a phone, etc.), it is like 5x harder than the above, a different conversation haha. Good luck!

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Hi DeanLubaki. I'm in the market to possibly buy the new M1 MBPro or Air. If you download and install DreamLab which is a freeware distributed computing app to look for cures for Cancer and COVID19, how many calculations can your new M1 machine do each hour when you run the COVID19 project? If you don't mind, let it run for 10+ hours and let me know.

Thanks!

matrixsc

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Hmm thinking about it, he may have to watch a video or something. It is not straight forward. Here is a video I found, but is incomplete in terms of setting up a License:

In short the workflow is this:
- Download Unity Hub (this is like a project manager)
- From the Hub, Install the actual Unity SDK/Editor (this is what he will use to make games)
- He will be prompted to link a License somewhere down the line
- Will need to create a Unity account first using an email
- Navigate to screen that lets him create a free License with his email
- Finally link his License to the installed Unity Editor/Hub on his computer by signing in
- Then he can start developing with Unity by creating a project, which is also not completely obvious where to navigate in Hub (needs to choose project directory, and then a whole bunch of other options like using different engines underneath).

This should teach him how to use YouTube and the internet, though, haha!

If he wants to deploy to iOS though (test on a phone, etc.), it is like 5x harder than the above, a different conversation haha. Good luck!

Thank you I'll keep that video saved as it will be a christmas present for him if we do decide to go a head and buy one for him .

Thank you for taking the time to post it for me :) .

amitdel

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2020
Hi DeanLubaki

I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2415 monitor (1920 x 1200, 60 hz), which I am using with a windows laptop.

Possible to test any M1 laptop with a 1080p display and update if UI / Application Text is TACK SHARP, or a bit blurred?

Holding on to the purchase decision based on this, as I use Excel / Word for 10+ hours / day using U2415.

Thanks!
Amit

Reactions: hmscott

khaihuynh2406

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Can you please test the machine when it's on idle and light tasks to see if it uses swap memory or not? I would like to see if it's true that people saying buying 16GB over 8GB will save the SSD lifespan. If they both use swap memory, there is no point to say that. Thank you in advance!

phl92

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2020
Can you please test the machine when it's on idle and light tasks to see if it uses swap memory or not? I would like to see if it's true that people saying buying 16GB over 8GB will save the SSD lifespan. If they both use swap memory, there is no point to say that. Thank you in advance!
Watch new Video of Max Tech. The 16 Gb swaps even more. According to him MacOS is built like this. he has a Mac Pro with 192! GB ram and when only half used it swaps nevertheless

Reactions: khaihuynh2406

khaihuynh2406

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Watch new Video of Max Tech. The 16 Gb swaps even more. According to him MacOS is built like this. he has a Mac Pro with 192! GB ram and when only half used it swaps nevertheless

That is very interesting to see that even with heavy tasks the 16GB refused to use the rest of physical memory but instead using the swap memory. I think it's just how they work.

beastforum

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2020
For anybody that is interested in X Plane 11, using metal, I ran it on my MBP13” M1 with 16gb ram and getting a solid 30fps at 4K (connected to 32” 4k hdr monitor) with high settings (apart from anti aliasing which I have on low as don’t really need it on a 4K screen). That’s at Innsbruck, Heathrow, Seattle, Manchester international etc which are demanding airports. Astounded really.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020

The render cache and temp locations for some apps show up as swap data in Activity Monitor. They will store data in their temp locations regardless how much memory you have because that’s the way the apps are made. But if you have a ton of RAM you can disable the caches and temps for some of those apps. It really depends on what apps you use and what kind of content you throw at them.

Premiere by default creates an MPEG file for video previews (despite what some ijits have said here) which you can control in the Sequence Settings pane.

Reactions: hmscott

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
For anybody that is interested in X Plane 11, using metal, I ran it on my MBP13” M1 with 16gb ram and getting a solid 30fps at 4K (connected to 32” 4k hdr monitor) with high settings (apart from anti aliasing which I have on low as don’t really need it on a 4K screen). That’s at Innsbruck, Heathrow, Seattle, Manchester international etc which are demanding airports. Astounded really.
Do you have any comparisons from how it performed from what you had? It’s been years since I used X Plane

beastforum

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2020
Do you have any comparisons from how it performed from what you had? It’s been years since I used X Plane
I don’t unfortunately. I can say that I get the following fps..

4k- 30fps
1440p- 45-48fps
1080p- 60-70fps

They are all with the above airports and everything on high apart from anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering (that’s on the first bar)

Chuffed tbh

Matt

hmscott

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Hi DeanLubaki

I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2415 monitor (1920 x 1200, 60 hz), which I am using with a windows laptop.

Possible to test any M1 laptop with a 1080p display and update if UI / Application Text is TACK SHARP, or a bit blurred?

Holding on to the purchase decision based on this, as I use Excel / Word for 10+ hours / day using U2415.

Thanks!
Amit
My Macbook Pro M1 16/2TB connects fine with my LG 27GL650 at 1920x1080 at 60hz fine, but I set it for 144hz which looks better by my eye's.

Text is sharp and easy to read, color is well saturated, I use the LG built-in Game 2 and Vivid gaming pre-set's tuned for optimal sync and frame updating speed.

The MacOS will support HDR as well, but when I turn it on on the Macbook Pro M1 and on the Monitor it's not quite my cup of tea. :)

For my eyes the Macbook Pro M1 video through HDMI (6-port Hyperdrive USB-C Hub) and DisplayPort (Hyperdrive Thunderbolt 16-port Hub) - both look far better to my eyes as the video output on both HDMI and DisplayPort out of my 2070 Super / 3700x PC.

More info here: Post here your working external display setup | MacRumors Forums

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
What kind of apps do you use? Have you had any issues like high memory pressure etc with 16GB?
I don't really do intensive work (especially since there isn't yet a Virtual Machine for Windows) but memory pressure is just like or better than my Intel Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.