Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrixsc

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
I could install and run Unity. I did not try to build anything though. But the 3D view seemed okay. Everything was running fast. If you need more info then let me know.
Thank you so much for trying that and letting me know was that using the app or the download from the unity site?

Was that on 8G Ram machine the base Mac air?

Really appreciate you trying that for me .

Thank you

matrixsc

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
ld of a Macbook Air, and Unity works and is ru
Thank you so much for trying this for me . Feel a lot happier now that if i get one my son can use it to carry on learning coding with unity .

Was that the app you used or direct from there web site . I know he has the app on his old iphone but on the laptop windows based he downloaded it i think .

Thank you once more .

lastcosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
OP, could you try finding a 4k. video encoded with AV1 online, play it back, and check cpu utilization on the M1?

Curious if this chip will software or hardware decode it. (I'm sure it handles HEVC and VP9, but not sure what it will do with av1).

You might need firefox or chrome to do so, not sure.

Something like this maybe: https://demo.bitmovin.com/public/firefox/av1/
I ran the video using Firefox nightly while being on a whereby call with watching a shared screen and 2 audios.
The GPU want from 25% to 50%, could not spot significant changes in CPU consumption. Otherwise the MacBook Air m1 base model is bored to death. Is that supposed to be a big video?

wyrdness

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Interesting my iPhone 12 Pro came in at 462.3ms vs 493.4ms for the MacBook Pro M1. Chrome on the MacBook Pro M1 (Rosetta) came in at 921.2ms.
My M1 air also came in at 460ms. Results could vary depending on what else the machine is doing in the background.

Reactions: sfwalter

lightfire

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
I just installed and it works fine thru Rosetta 2
Thanks....most definitely my preferred browser. And even with the emulation probably just as fast as oter browsers running natively, as it is faster on windows than other browsers; maybe less so on Ipad.

lynxdeb

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
one question: does Chrome\Firefox X86 version are working to support flash site? Yes I know that we are in 2020, but there are some enterprise application that still need it (like VMWare vCenter 6.5, HPE Virtual Connect and so on).

Thanks!

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
one question: does Chrome\Firefox X86 version are working to support flash site? Yes I know that we are in 2020, but there are some enterprise application that still need it (like VMWare vCenter 6.5, HPE Virtual Connect and so on).

Thanks!
Doesn't look like it supported by the Apple Silicon Build of Chrome
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 12.10.48 PM.png

It does work with the Intel build of Chrome.

pnd4pnd

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Surprised no one has asked - but how long does it take to boot? how long to awake from sleep?

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I could install and run Unity. I did not try to build anything though. But the 3D view seemed okay. Everything was running fast. If you need more info then let me know.
Just want to add thanks you running Unity. I bought a PC to build some games with friends, but I can't stand using Winwodws as my daily driver. My mini M1 should be here tomorrow if all goes well I can return the PC...

scatopie

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Thank you so much for trying this for me . Feel a lot happier now that if i get one my son can use it to carry on learning coding with unity .

Was that the app you used or direct from there web site . I know he has the app on his old iphone but on the laptop windows based he downloaded it i think .

Thank you once more .
It was direct download from the site. Make sure to get the latest build (even if it is a beta version, v2021.05a or something like that. Bigger number is always more recent.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.