Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Please test Safari browser performance on M1. It doesnt take a lot of time and efforts, just run test on Mozilla web site - https://krakenbenchmark.mozilla.org/ .
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 7.04.07 AM.png

Interesting my iPhone 12 Pro came in at 462.3ms vs 493.4ms for the MacBook Pro M1. Chrome on the MacBook Pro M1 (Rosetta) came in at 921.2ms.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It has nothing to do with entitlement so get your facts right. The OP's title of the thread say's '...ask me anything' so members have and what I noticed is that some members were asking genuine questions and they were being ignored...

No one has been stopped from asking questions, but does the title say "I will answer absolutely everything?"

It's an entitlement issue.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I am right, you are wrong. Also, stop trying to twist the facts to suit your narrative. I never complained about the OP not responding quick enough, you've just fashioned that idea out of thin air. Also, stop making up excuses to defend the OP, it's disgraceful.

The 'theme' or content of a thread will determine how that thread is maintained. A well maintained thread will have the OP constantly interacting with other posters to help keep the interest in the thread alive. The OP should also 'manage' the thread they make. Making sure that posts are kept on topic and that any infighting is prevented. If the OP see's posters breaking the rules of the thread or rules of the forum then the OP should report the rule breaches to the forum moderators. You do not just make a thread and then be done with it. Goes ask the forum admins about thread management and you will see they will agree with me.

Now with regards to the OP and the content and 'theme' of this thread. M1 machines have been hottly anticipated and thus any information about them is in high demand. The OP has an M1 and therefore should have known the strong demand for information about the machiine they have. As a result the OP should have anticipated the high demand in posters wanting to know about the machine and thus how rapidly questions would be posted. As such the OP should have been on hand to answer questions as and when they came in. If there was a question that could not be answered, the OP should have immediatly replied with 'Thank you for your question. I am not able to facilitate your request at the moment but I will try later on in the day'. The OP was doing a good job of interacting with some posters in the thread, responding to some question and returning with results to those questions BUT there was issues and errors with how the OP was managing the thread which I brought to the OP's attention. The OP responded to my post and as far as I am concerned the matter is closed.

get off your high horse man and buy your own machine to answer your own questions then

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
Hi! What are the disk speeds using the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test app on the Mac App Store?

matrixsc

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
I did post this but had no replied as yet wondering if any of you guys know that already have a Macbook Air M1 no the answer please?

I'm looking at buying my Son a Macbook Air. This will be for homework and coding as he does enjoy using Unity( app) on his iphone, And at the moment he is using a 9 year old laptop to do work on and use the Unity program for coding on.

I'm pretty sure the Macbook Air will be fine for all his own work and studies but i'm worried that unity won't work yet as i did read there might be issue with the M1 chip ?

Hoping someone here might be able to help me and let me know please .

Thank you for your time

scatopie

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
I did post this but had no replied as yet wondering if any of you guys know that already have a Macbook Air M1 no the answer please?

I'm looking at buying my Son a Macbook Air. This will be for homework and coding as he does enjoy using Unity( app) on his iphone, And at the moment he is using a 9 year old laptop to do work on and use the Unity program for coding on.

I'm pretty sure the Macbook Air will be fine for all his own work and studies but i'm worried that unity won't work yet as i did read there might be issue with the M1 chip ?

Hoping someone here might be able to help me and let me know please .

Thank you for your time
Hey, I am also buying a Macbook (Air/Pro) for Unity development as well! To answer your question, yes, Unity3d does and should support Apple Silicon! Here's a link to their blog (if you scroll down, you'll see the screenshot with the description "Unity running on Apple Silicon": https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/09/1...s-now-available-and-we-welcome-your-feedback/

As for whether the Air or Pro is better for it, I initially thought the fanless (and potential thermal throttling) Air would reduce compile times. But after seeing all these benchmarks, it seems it only throttles up to 15% and only on heavy multi-core operations lasting longer than 8 minutes, such as video and image exporting. Coding compiling is mainly single-core operations, and compile times probably won't last for more than 3-5 minutes max. There was a video of someone doing code compiling on Xcode, and the two machines literally finished the same time.

Now I am reconsidering that I might go for the Air, because I can get more SSD space for the same price (and doesn't have the touch bar, which is a plus. Can't say your 9yr old wouldn't like playing with one though!). I ordered both a Macbook Pro 13" and a 8-core gpu Macbook Air, and will do compile time comparisons on Xcode and Unity. I was thinking about making a video on it and posting on YouTube since I haven't seen that yet! But right now, my guts tell me the Macbook Air may definitely be the better purchase (more demand, probably higher resale value too) and will probably return the Pro after I finish comparisons.

Hope this helps!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I had the Pro 13", 2019, 2.7 GHz, 16GB, 1TB before. The is definitely a difference in responsiveness, battery life and fan noise (it's almost always off when on my old Mac it would often turn into a 787-9 engine).
You got the air? And not noticing it to be any slower with YouTube or complex task?

matrixsc

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Hey, I am also buying a Macbook (Air/Pro) for Unity development as well! To answer your question, yes, Unity3d does and should support Apple Silicon! Here's a link to their blog (if you scroll down, you'll see the screenshot with the description "Unity running on Apple Silicon": https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/09/1...s-now-available-and-we-welcome-your-feedback/

As for whether the Air or Pro is better for it, I initially thought the fanless (and potential thermal throttling) Air would reduce compile times. But after seeing all these benchmarks, it seems it only throttles up to 15% and only on heavy multi-core operations lasting longer than 8 minutes, such as video and image exporting. Coding compiling is mainly single-core operations, and compile times probably won't last for more than 3-5 minutes max. There was a video of someone doing code compiling on Xcode, and the two machines literally finished the same time.

Now I am reconsidering that I might go for the Air, because I can get more SSD space for the same price (and doesn't have the touch bar, which is a plus. Can't say your 9yr old wouldn't like playing with one though!). I ordered both a Macbook Pro 13" and a 8-core gpu Macbook Air, and will do compile time comparisons on Xcode and Unity. I was thinking about making a video on it and posting on YouTube since I haven't seen that yet! But right now, my guts tell me the Macbook Air may definitely be the better purchase (more demand, probably higher resale value too) and will probably return the Pro after I finish comparisons.

Hope this helps!
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply really interesting reply and i took a look on the blog too seems it does work so this would be fine .

I assume he could just use the standard app then on this. He's only just stated well about 6 months ago it wouldn't be a games machine or anything as he has an xbox for that just want it more for homework and for him to continue to learn coding etc .

And seeing how the world is going atm and he's already been off school the past 2 weeks as a couple of children in his class have tested positive for covid it's made me see he'l be using more at the moment to do work at home and not have to struggle on the old laptop .

Macbooks etc all new to me i use Iphone and then use desktop Pc for my work so don't use Mac at all but i do like the idea how stable they seem compared to a windows based laptop .

Thank you once more for taking the time to reply .

Reactions: dennisroethig

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Please test Safari browser performance on M1. It doesnt take a lot of time and efforts, just run test on Mozilla web site - https://krakenbenchmark.mozilla.org/ .
===============================================
RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
-----------------------------------------------
Total: 443.1ms +/- 0.5%
-----------------------------------------------

ai: 78.0ms +/- 0.7%
astar: 78.0ms +/- 0.7%

audio: 112.4ms +/- 1.6%
beat-detection: 36.7ms +/- 2.3%
dft: 26.8ms +/- 2.8%
fft: 25.7ms +/- 2.6%
oscillator: 23.2ms +/- 2.4%

imaging: 103.0ms +/- 0.7%
gaussian-blur: 38.8ms +/- 0.8%
darkroom: 36.5ms +/- 1.0%
desaturate: 27.7ms +/- 1.2%

json: 33.8ms +/- 1.9%
parse-financial: 20.2ms +/- 2.2%
stringify-tinderbox: 13.6ms +/- 4.4%

stanford: 115.9ms +/- 1.6%
crypto-aes: 35.9ms +/- 2.6%
crypto-ccm: 27.0ms +/- 2.5%
crypto-pbkdf2: 36.9ms +/- 2.3%
crypto-sha256-iterative: 16.1ms +/- 2.5%

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Hi Dean,

Many thanks for doing this post, awesome idea to test your new baby! ?

Can I ask, How is Excel and OneNote on this new M1 laptop?

Glitchy?
or exactly the same as the intel versions?

Your help is much appreciated ?

Regards
Martin
Hello Marty!

So far it's working normally, the same as the Intel version. I haven't tested large spreadsheets yet thought!

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I love these generous people who volunteer for tests. ❤️

My MBP M1 16Gb will arrive on Monday! But I am very concerned with the operation of the Office 365 suite, as I depend on it for my work. Could you tell me if it works without problem on the M1? I'm talking about Outlook, Powerpoint, Teams,... (I saw that you answered about Teams), etc. And my most critical one: Onedrive ?

Thanks so much!

OneDrive works perfectly! All of my files are there so I depend on it as well :)
I have tried quickly PowerPoint and Outlook. They work fine even on the Rosetta emulation. Microsoft has a ARM beta available.

XianNewman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Do you have a weird issues where the thumbnail image for your machine is blank in Preferences > iCloud > Devices (and similarly on appleid.apple.com)? A few of us have that strange missing thumbnail ?

Attachments

• IMG_6468.jpeg
    IMG_6468.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.