Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Was curious as someone else in another post was complaining about it, thanks for the reply. I am really just wondering about the viability of touch screen apps on a non-touch screen. I LOVE Spark email app on IPAD, does that by any chance run.
No the iPad version is not iavailable in the App Store from the Apple Silicon Macs. However, there is a Mac OS version of Spark Mail.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Are all apps from the Mac App Store compatible with Apple Silicon?
Most apps should run thru Rosetta 2 until app developer release a native version to support the Apple Silicon processes. If you have must need apps I would check on the forums or Internet to verify that others can run the apps that you use.

lightfire

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
Most apps should run thru Rosetta 2 until app developer release a native version to support the Apple Silicon processes. If you have must need apps I would check on the forums or Internet to verify that others can run the apps that you use.
Ah...didnt know Spark had a native Mac app, thanks - I am a windows desktop user with an Ipad. Last I checked they didnt have a windows program. It is better on the IPad than emclient is on windows.

torncanvas

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
It looks like Blender works in Rosetta mode according to Gizmodo. No need to test it.

Another question if you have an iPad: can you use Sidecar with the laptop closed? Since the thermals are now amazing, it seems very feasible to use the laptop with the lid closed without any throttling.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Been reading about "restore" bricking the M1. I'll have to migrate data from my old computer using a Time Machine backup. Is "migrating" the same as "restoring"? Did you transfer data to your new M1? Migration worked smoothly?
No. Migration is simply copying your old Mac to your new Mac. It works fine. “Restoring” is attempting to do a clean install from the recovery partition of the SSD.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
So you feel it’s drastically different than the 2020 pro? Wondering is I should sell or for one?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Been reading about "restore" bricking the M1. I'll have to migrate data from my old computer using a Time Machine backup. Is "migrating" the same as "restoring"? Did you transfer data to your new M1? Migration worked smoothly?
I used the migration tool using a Thunderbolt cable. Worked like a charm :)

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
So you feel it’s drastically different than the 2020 pro? Wondering is I should sell or for one?
I had the Pro 13", 2019, 2.7 GHz, 16GB, 1TB before. The is definitely a difference in responsiveness, battery life and fan noise (it's almost always off when on my old Mac it would often turn into a 787-9 engine).

Reactions: KPOM

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
  1. Have you heard the fan spin up at all yet?
  2. Can you try and stress test it and let us know how bad the fan noise is, if any?

I'm seriously considering offloading my 2020 air to my partner and upgrading to a 2020 Pro or Air (likely Pro as for the spec I want - exact spec you have - its minimal cost difference).

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
How are 4K videos through Safari? Mainly thinking about YouTube. Thanks.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
Can you install Python IDE pycharm and python in it.. not sure if you code much.

I think that would also be handled by Rosetta at first.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
  1. Have you heard the fan spin up at all yet?
  2. Can you try and stress test it and let us know how bad the fan noise is, if any?

I'm seriously considering offloading my 2020 air to my partner and upgrading to a 2020 Pro or Air (likely Pro as for the spec I want - exact spec you have - its minimal cost difference).
The only time I heard the fan was while benchmarking with CineBench and it wasn't as loud as my old 2019 MacBook Pro which had two fans instead one like this one.

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
i doubt it will support it, unless it has an internal gyroscope. Spatial audio needs 2 gyros for automatic calibration.
I know. Just hoping it does as it’s a more iOS-like chip. Although it would make more sense for Apple to implement the surround sound feature of spatial audio without worrying about the gimmicky orientation shifting features that requires the gyroscopes.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The only time I heard the fan was while benchmarking with CineBench and it wasn't as loud as my old 2019 MacBook Pro which had two fans instead one like this one.

Hmm.... I'm torn.

The MBA, if it is "almost as fast" is very attractive (to me) due to no chance of fan noise (as it has no fan :D).

Will be keen to see how it is after you've run with it for a few weeks as a daily driver :)

cheers!

nintyuser

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Is Pokemon go in the app store? Silly I know, just curious. Trying to find this out. Dunno if you play Pokemon go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.