Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Could you test to see if Synergy works? I'd like to run in a mixed macOS/Windows environment and Synergy would allow me to do this.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
Thanks! The SSD in the 256 GB models is slightly faster, which is odd. Seems as though the disk speeds are now close to even across all disk sizes. I was hoping for PCIe 4.0, but these speeds are nothing to complain about.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hello Marty!

So far it's working normally, the same as the Intel version. I haven't tested large spreadsheets yet thought!

Thanks Dean for the reply ?

Let us know when you get a chance too use Excel and OneNote in more depth.

Be good to know if they work ok, for just basic template creations, updating and changes etc.

You should try them on the ipad - a real shock coming from windows! ?

Best wishes
Martin

Reactions: DeanL

lastcosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
CSGO works now with 11.1 Beta (20C5048k)!
I get 70fps on high settings (automatic) with my MBA M1 base model.
But it's rather unplayable. The frame rate is varying and the I/O is so unprecise. I tried a Razer mouse and a MX Master 3... but I could barely hit a target. But I guess the game was that way on MacOS on Intel too.

lastcosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Some more news on X-Plane:
I get 30fps on OpenGL mit rather high settings for textures.
And about 60+fps on Metal.

lastcosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
I did post this but had no replied as yet wondering if any of you guys know that already have a Macbook Air M1 no the answer please?

I'm looking at buying my Son a Macbook Air. This will be for homework and coding as he does enjoy using Unity( app) on his iphone, And at the moment he is using a 9 year old laptop to do work on and use the Unity program for coding on.

I'm pretty sure the Macbook Air will be fine for all his own work and studies but i'm worried that unity won't work yet as i did read there might be issue with the M1 chip ?

Hoping someone here might be able to help me and let me know please .

Thank you for your time
I could install and run Unity. I did not try to build anything though. But the 3D view seemed okay. Everything was running fast. If you need more info then let me know.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Could you test to see if Synergy works? I'd like to run in a mixed macOS/Windows environment and Synergy would allow me to do this.

I do not have a Windows computer on which I can install this software :(

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Thanks! The SSD in the 256 GB models is slightly faster, which is odd. Seems as though the disk speeds are now close to even across all disk sizes. I was hoping for PCIe 4.0, but these speeds are nothing to complain about.
My SSD is half full, if that makes a difference.

Reactions: collin_

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
OP, could you try finding a 4k. video encoded with AV1 online, play it back, and check cpu utilization on the M1?

Curious if this chip will software or hardware decode it. (I'm sure it handles HEVC and VP9, but not sure what it will do with av1).

You might need firefox or chrome to do so, not sure.

Something like this maybe: https://demo.bitmovin.com/public/firefox/av1/

lucas3d

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Anyone have tried to use PCoIP Client from Teradici on the Apple M1?
I need this for work and I will love to upgrade my old Macbook Pro Retina 2012.

Thanks

torncanvas

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Better hurry with your order if you want it to arrive in time.

I'm amazed that they aren't stocking the 16 GB in the stores.
Reportedly there’s a concern TSMC can hit the projected yields. So given limited supply, why not just drive direct sales for those?

scatopie

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply really interesting reply and i took a look on the blog too seems it does work so this would be fine .

I assume he could just use the standard app then on this. He's only just stated well about 6 months ago it wouldn't be a games machine or anything as he has an xbox for that just want it more for homework and for him to continue to learn coding etc .

And seeing how the world is going atm and he's already been off school the past 2 weeks as a couple of children in his class have tested positive for covid it's made me see he'l be using more at the moment to do work at home and not have to struggle on the old laptop .

Macbooks etc all new to me i use Iphone and then use desktop Pc for my work so don't use Mac at all but i do like the idea how stable they seem compared to a windows based laptop .

Thank you once more for taking the time to reply .
I just got a hold of a Macbook Air, and Unity works and is running well! Just thought I'd let you know :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.