Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
He isn't wrong. MacOS today is less polished than it would have been in 2000. There is always something that doesn't work right or some huge bug. The Apple apologists always have some "Apple does no wrong " angle to counter it with. The sad reality is that Apple doesn't have to get it right anymore. The Mac is not the main source of revenue, nor is it shipped on CD. The "release now, fix later" business model is the new standard unfortunately. Lack of competition and not caring about Mac market share means MacOS will remain a dumpster fire. It's just not a top priority. Everyone is working on questionable inclusive emojis for iOS as that is where the money is. Maybe when the iPhone revenue starts declining they will care.
Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see that in the next year or so. iPhones are so expensive, with such small changes, and completely saturated smartphone market.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I have been a macOS user since the first appearance of MacOS X. After the initial start, macOS became a platform that I loved not just for the experience, but for its stability and performance. I would easily have a laptop running for many months without single reboot and without problems. I am reasonably technical (having been part of a team that won an Apple Design Award once) and I know my way around the lower levels of the OS. There too I could do the things I should be able to do and 'it just worked'.

The last years, my experience has been completely otherwise and I've reached the end of the line. A few months back I decided to move my older macOS versions (one Mojave and a few macOS Catalinas) to macOS Monterey and, boy, do I wish I had never done that (in case of Mojave, I really wanted to because there were no longer security fixes).

A list of issues I encountered in various versions of Monterey:
  • A 4K LG monitor that isn't recognized as 4K but as 5K. Notable: that same monitor is recognised fine on the only M1 Mac over here. Note also: I have 5 different Macs in this household, this clearly is not a hardware problem if all the Monterey x86 Macs do not recognise the monitor correctly, but the same hardware before the upgrade did, the only x86 Mac still running Big Sur does, and the M1 Mac running Monterey does.
  • A monitor that directly after the 'upgrade' on a Mini was only showing black until after an SMC reset, a problem that returned a few times
  • If Display user preferences are set, it might crash WindowServer making it impossible for that user to log in (log in, Window Server starts up, crashes, back to login screen). I had to go in via another user, clean out the affected user's prerefences, after which logging in was possible again (though all preferences were lost)
  • Booting a system with a USB SSD attached (SanDisk) via USB ends up in a situation that the whole disk isn't seen (missing from System Info) until you physically disconnect/reconnect the drive. Two Thunderbolt drives connect fine and so does a USB RAID
  • Attached wired keyboards/trackpad (all Apple) unable to wake a system from deep sleep, you need to physically disconnect/reconnect them to get them recognised
  • A monitor as second monitor on an iMac. When the monitor is turned off, the main screen works but input (trackpad, keyboard) gets stuck for a half-second or so all the time.
  • If you use software that allows connections from the outside and you use the Application Firewall (ALF) to protect your system, at some point using ALF meant that a certain service would stop working after a few hours because the kernel had stopped passing connections on to the software. Stopping and starting the software made it work again for a few hours. This software ran fine under Mojave and several earlier versions. It seemed that the kernel ran out of resources and that stopping and starting the software freed them. I had to stop using the firewall as a result.
  • Services that are started by hand work fine, but when started via launchd are unable to reach.
  • And the latest: under 12.5.1 the system suddenly freezes for all connection requests (e.g. you cannot ssh in to the system, or use ARD, etc. Nothing that requires TCP/IP it seems. Ping works, but no TCP/IP port can be reached. Most of the time, this will resolve itself after a while as if the kernel gets 'stuck' and at some point gets 'unstuck', but sometimes it doesn't and you have to hope you are logged out and can click the restart button or you have to do hard reboot. The last time an unstuck happened after an hour or so.
And this list isn't even complete. macOS Monterey 12.5.1 in my experience is as buggy and fragile as anything I have ever had to work with in decades, and that includes older Microsoft Windows. This is now especially the case with anything having to do with sockets, ports, traffic, etc., i.e. kernel level stuff.

I have my suspicions about what may be in play here:
  • Apple not spending as much energy on x86 as it does on M1 (which pisses me off as I spent thousands on all these machines)
  • Apple working hard on adding security (e.g. the kernel being able to merge a read-only and writable volume into one file system, very neat, and a lot that is now connected to software being signed) but not doing a very good job at writing correct code that can handle all the different situations ('happy flow code')
  • The 'unstuck' behaviour of 12.5.1 really feels like Apple has put in some stopgap measure to make sure that if the system gets stuck there is some sort of low level 'reset'. Or, Apple knows this is unreliable, but has implemented some sort of garbage collection that once in a while cleans stuff up so it starts working again
Apple has always been that weird combination of 'insane level of attention to detail' in one place and 'insane level of neglect' elsewhere. But I have to conclude that now that Monterey is at version 12.5.1 it still is buggy, fragile, unreliable. It is a P.o.J. and I am very sorry that after more than 20 years of Apple use I have to give up on ever having something as robust as it was years ago. And the history of recent versions have been that they have become worse and worse in terms of reliability over the years.

I have started to investigate moving parts of my (until now 100% Apple) landscape to another OS because the level of reliability has become so low that I have lost my confidence that it will be reliable any time soon.
It seems like you might've run into the same issue I did with port forwarding. Works fine in Big Sur, completely broken in Monterey. It's a niche use case but still a shame as many developers rely on Macs.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Booting a system with a USB SSD attached (SanDisk) via USB ends up in a situation that the whole disk isn't seen (missing from System Info) until you physically disconnect/reconnect the drive. Two Thunderbolt drives connect fine and so does a USB RAID
Me: decides to finally update the boot SSD with Monterey
Me, as the update is happening: reads this, shakes head, thinks how sad it is that Other People have those problems
Me: discovers the external SSD is not only missing, it is also corrupted and even formatting it is impossible without Terminal fun
Me: reinstalls Big Sur and is v. pleased with self for having four backups, while also wishing I saw this post BEFORE I decided Monterey was definitely stable enough by now

jonh229

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
I’ve only been using the iMac since El Capitan. I migrated to Apple cause I was already using iPad & iPhone. I appreciate Apple’s apparent focus on user security. There are bugs and it does seem Apple has too many irons in the fire. I left XP when I retired and simply got tired of the extra work needed to keep linux updated. I still keep a machine updated w/ linux but much prefer Apple, bugs and all (at least with linux there is bugzilla). This is after decades of dos, win, os/2, & various linux distros.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Definitely more bugs in recent years. Also, more features, more devices, multiple OS’s, 2 architectures currently. Are there simply more bugs because there’s more features and devices? Will the bugs stop when the transition to ASi is complete? Will returning to work in person help? Are the teams too small? Genuine questions.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Just because your experience with Monterey is 'a dream' doesn't mean everyone else's is. How is it nonsense if we are experiencing it?
I'm always happy to hear of people who enjoy their Macs and the OS they are using. However, we both seem to agree that not every experience is as great as those that boast or simply share their good fortune story.

This entire thread proves the point that Monterey, Monterey+Intel, and Monterey+M1 does indeed have challenges.

Reactions: rehkram

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Will the bugs stop when the transition to ASi is complete?
I would say no. The vast majority of the bugs are in what is almost certainly high-level (architecture-independent) code. While there are undoubtedly some Intel-specific and Arm-specific bugs, many of the reported issues can be replicated on both types of system. It's the code, not the CPU.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Using hyperbole in a thread title, for example "horrible", is a setup designed to create arguments. AKA trolling. It has succeeded in this case. Some good points were made by the assembled multitudes though, despite the initial trollery.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

JustinKent

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
Sorry to hear your struggles. I hope my perspective is not unwelcome, and maybe others will benefit from it more than you, but here goes: the older machines were made for the older operating systems, and vice-versa. Likewise, the newer operating systems are made for the newer machines. I have a number of older Macs that are still chugging along, but I've chosen to stop upgrading the OS on them. I sort of put them out to pasture and purchase a new machine to replace them when they start slowing down, running out of space, or feeling generally less capable. I do the same thing with my iPhones. The old ones stick around as backups, QA test devices, etc... every now and then I find something I can use them for. It's far better to have a controlled transition to a brand new machine, rather than updating in place only to find out something breaks or runs slower. I hear your pain, but you may want to experience the new OS running on the new hardware, before you make a determination that the situation is worse than it actually is. I'm extremely satisfied with Monterey running on Apple Silicon... actually the happiest I've been on the Mac platform since the days of OS 9.

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
My main computer is a Mac Pro stuck on Mojave and it’s bombproof. Never a single issue.
I migrated to Mojave a few months ago from Sierra. It's been solid for me also. Prior to that, it was Snow Leopard. I realize I'm way behind with security updates but if nothing compelling is offered in the next macOS, I skip it. I no longer trust Apple's annual releases with respect to stability.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I have started to investigate moving parts of my (until now 100% Apple) landscape to another OS because the level of reliability has become so low that I have lost my confidence that it will be reliable any time soon.

I have been a macOS user since the first appearance of MacOS X. After the initial start, macOS became a platform that I loved not just for the experience, but for its stability and performance. I would easily have a laptop running for many months without single reboot and without problems. I am reasonably technical (having been part of a team that won an Apple Design Award once) and I know my way around the lower levels of the OS. There too I could do the things I should be able to do and 'it just worked'.

The last years, my experience has been completely otherwise and I've reached the end of the line. A few months back I decided to move my older macOS versions (one Mojave and a few macOS Catalinas) to macOS Monterey and, boy, do I wish I had never done that (in case of Mojave, I really wanted to because there were no longer security fixes).

A list of issues I encountered in various versions of Monterey:
  • A 4K LG monitor that isn't recognized as 4K but as 5K. Notable: that same monitor is recognised fine on the only M1 Mac over here. Note also: I have 5 different Macs in this household, this clearly is not a hardware problem if all the Monterey x86 Macs do not recognise the monitor correctly, but the same hardware before the upgrade did, the only x86 Mac still running Big Sur does, and the M1 Mac running Monterey does.
  • A monitor that directly after the 'upgrade' on a Mini was only showing black until after an SMC reset, a problem that returned a few times
  • If Display user preferences are set, it might crash WindowServer making it impossible for that user to log in (log in, Window Server starts up, crashes, back to login screen). I had to go in via another user, clean out the affected user's prerefences, after which logging in was possible again (though all preferences were lost)
  • Booting a system with a USB SSD attached (SanDisk) via USB ends up in a situation that the whole disk isn't seen (missing from System Info) until you physically disconnect/reconnect the drive. Two Thunderbolt drives connect fine and so does a USB RAID
  • Attached wired keyboards/trackpad (all Apple) unable to wake a system from deep sleep, you need to physically disconnect/reconnect them to get them recognised
  • A monitor as second monitor on an iMac. When the monitor is turned off, the main screen works but input (trackpad, keyboard) gets stuck for a half-second or so all the time.
  • If you use software that allows connections from the outside and you use the Application Firewall (ALF) to protect your system, at some point using ALF meant that a certain service would stop working after a few hours because the kernel had stopped passing connections on to the software. Stopping and starting the software made it work again for a few hours. This software ran fine under Mojave and several earlier versions. It seemed that the kernel ran out of resources and that stopping and starting the software freed them. I had to stop using the firewall as a result.
  • Services that are started by hand work fine, but when started via launchd are unable to reach.
  • And the latest: under 12.5.1 the system suddenly freezes for all connection requests (e.g. you cannot ssh in to the system, or use ARD, etc. Nothing that requires TCP/IP it seems. Ping works, but no TCP/IP port can be reached. Most of the time, this will resolve itself after a while as if the kernel gets 'stuck' and at some point gets 'unstuck', but sometimes it doesn't and you have to hope you are logged out and can click the restart button or you have to do hard reboot. The last time an unstuck happened after an hour or so.
And this list isn't even complete. macOS Monterey 12.5.1 in my experience is as buggy and fragile as anything I have ever had to work with in decades, and that includes older Microsoft Windows. This is now especially the case with anything having to do with sockets, ports, traffic, etc., i.e. kernel level stuff.

I have my suspicions about what may be in play here:
  • Apple not spending as much energy on x86 as it does on M1 (which pisses me off as I spent thousands on all these machines)
  • Apple working hard on adding security (e.g. the kernel being able to merge a read-only and writable volume into one file system, very neat, and a lot that is now connected to software being signed) but not doing a very good job at writing correct code that can handle all the different situations ('happy flow code')
  • The 'unstuck' behaviour of 12.5.1 really feels like Apple has put in some stopgap measure to make sure that if the system gets stuck there is some sort of low level 'reset'. Or, Apple knows this is unreliable, but has implemented some sort of garbage collection that once in a while cleans stuff up so it starts working again
Apple has always been that weird combination of 'insane level of attention to detail' in one place and 'insane level of neglect' elsewhere. But I have to conclude that now that Monterey is at version 12.5.1 it still is buggy, fragile, unreliable. It is a P.o.J. and I am very sorry that after more than 20 years of Apple use I have to give up on ever having something as robust as it was years ago. And the history of recent versions have been that they have become worse and worse in terms of reliability over the years.

don’t do it. Already did this many times.

Conclusion: apple dominates laptops, unless you are a gamer(or rather, your game isn’t supported/streamable). If you do anything else BESIDES gaming, the MacBook is amazing.

All my work issued laptops can’t get passed 4 hours untethered. And windows is slow while on battery. Plus they all get VERY hot. Lid/standby always is slow.

I’m just not as productive on a windows laptop.

I literally just did an entire day’s work on my bed, no overheating, no anxiety about fan breathing space, no slowdowns, and long long battery life. Mac makes it easy.

But for desktop, stick to windows

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
don’t do it. Already did this many times.

Conclusion: apple dominates laptops, unless you are a gamer(or rather, your game isn’t supported/streamable). If you do anything else BESIDES gaming, the MacBook is amazing.

All my work issued laptops can’t get passed 4 hours untethered. And windows is slow while on battery. Plus they all get VERY hot. Lid/standby always is slow.

I’m just not as productive on a windows laptop.

I literally just did an entire day’s work on my bed, no overheating, no anxiety about fan breathing space, no slowdowns, and long long battery life. Mac makes it easy.

But for desktop, stick to windows
Unless there is a software or hardware item that only works with Windows in a non vm or bootcamp scenario, there is no reason not to have Mac as a desktop. I find it amusing that years ago, there was a push to get rid of Macs in many corp environments. Today, lots of people use iPhone, iPad and Mac laptops in a business environment.

For several years, I have had either Parallels or VMware Fusion with Windows running for very specific apps. Beyond that, no need. Today, zero Windows required and if there were to be interest, it would be in some arm based Linux distros to explore.

Amacfa, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Btw, I am often critical of Apple and rightly so.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
On my first Macbooks I only moved from Leopard to Snow Leopard and from Snow Leopard to Lion when both were at the end of their active development cycle (i.e. close to the release of a subsequent OS). I.e. I did a clean install of late 10.6.8 build and it was incredibly stable. When Apple started introducing new OS every year instead of every 2 years, I was afraid of them losing focus on maintenance and fixing bugs, and abandoning half-polished OS due to moving onto a new product.

My current laptop is stuck on 10.5.7 Catalina, and overall I don't think I'm happy. It definitely is more buggy than what I got used to and isn't as fast / efficient on old hardware. I'm hesitating to buy a new mac and having to deal with even newer OS. I'm excited to try improved multitasking on iPad OS and might go that route for my main device.

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
Many people say this. It's like M2 'SSD gate', where it's been argued barely anyone will notice because who on earth buys an MBA for serious work. And while there is room for this point of view, it kind of implies your average buyer is someone spending £1249 upwards on a computer for banal content consumption and incredibly light tasks. Zero evidence on my part, but I really can't believe that's true. That's what £300 Lenovos are for. People expect computers costing a grand or more to be capable of some pretty serious heavy lifting, and expect them to come with a solid OS which doesn't trip over itself.

It's all about the 'premium price, premium product' image which Apple once prided itself on.
Now they're more interested in pairing-up with Kardashians to sell skin-coloured earphones, and we wonder why MacOS is going to hell on a handcart.

EDIT: I miss Snow Leopard :(
Snow Leopard. Best version ever.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I thought that was correct behaviour? MacOS renders a 4K display as 5K internally, then scales it to 4K to allow pixel doubling/hidpi/whatever you want to call it.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
Apple has always been that weird combination of 'insane level of attention to detail' in one place and 'insane level of neglect' elsewhere.

Apple isn't incentivized financially to prioritize macOS over other OSes, especially on Intel Macs. Their focus is on iOS and to a lesser extent ASi Macs. Don't be surprised that user experience on Intel Macs will get progressively poorer with each iteration of macOS. Their dream is to have all macOS and iOS apps written in Swift, run on Metal, and share a large portion of their codebase and UI elements.

This is why pre-installed apps on macOS that also appear on iOS are updated more aggressively, e.g, Safari, Music, Messages. Those that aren't tend to see a more infrequent improvement, e.g, Time Machine and most Mac-specific utilities.

In other words, the neglect is intentional and ironically meant to help macOS survive and the Apple ecosystem as a whole thrive. Making it easier for developers to release their applications for both iOS and macOS has been the guiding principle for Apple's software team. Short of merging the two platforms, they want to make it as smooth an experience as possible to write applications for the Apple ecosystem. APFS, Swift, Metal, UI element convergence, and even the latest Stage Manager are efforts towards that end.

So sadly, macOS as we know it is dying. My hope is that Apple is doing this in order to lay the groundwork for an amazing future where things will once again work seamlessly between iOS, iPadOS, and macOS, on a fundamental level.

plufz

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I had much more trouble one or two OS releases ago. I dont think I've had any real issues with my MBP M1 Max and Monterey. So I don't have a feeling of a downwards spiral. Sometimes it can be hard as a single user to get a good idea if a software product is buggy or not. If you get a couple of bad bugs it sure feels like a buggy OS even if most people are not exposed to those bugs at all. My feeling is that Apple invests more in "boring pro stuff" (things you need and not just things that looks good in an ad) for macos these days and that the direction has shifted in a good way.

With that said, I've too had bugs that Apple just won't fix for years, it is incredibly frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.