Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyxcom

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
There are people like myself who use Chrome as a tool only, not for day to day browsing. For example it has profiles, which is handy at my job and the Windows machines we use Chrome on.

Similar to Firefox, it has container tabs, which is handy when I need to be logged into the same website with multiple credentials.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Then I read this thread
and this tweet

I read the original reddit thread a day ago and was bewildered by the defenders in it. It felt like some of the posters must have been hired by Google because of the way they tried to discredit the OP.

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Did you tried Microsoft Edge? Its Chromium with some bigger modifications. Chromium-Edge currently gets a Daily bigger base in corporate Windows networks.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Click the tweet in my original post. There will be a link to his website that explain everything.
The website explains to remove some entries in the Library folders. Is that enough to delete keystone? Meaning that it’s not an actual app somewhere on the drive? Sorry but I’m new to Mac so I might be confused. Is this just like deleting registry entries in Windows?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
The website explains to remove some entries in the Library folders. Is that enough to delete keystone? Meaning that it’s not an actual app somewhere on the drive? Sorry but I’m new to Mac so I might be confused. Is this just like deleting registry entries in Windows?
It's enough. Do everything as explained. Then search "google" in Finder one last time. If you don't find anything you're good.

Reactions: ian87w

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Firefox is much better. I've heard some good things about Edge on Mac but I haven't been able to try it myself. Being Chromium it should hopefully fill in the gaps that Firefox has with site compatibility. Safari I am not a huge fan of these days, but that's just me. It's an acceptable browser for plenty.

Avoid Chrome and as much of Google as you can.

Reactions: matrix07

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Google launches Keystone as a LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon. Those are triggered by configuration scripts that are found in the various /Library/ and ~/Library folders. Getting rid of the scripts stops Keystone from running in the background.

Reactions: B60boy and ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Google launches Keystone as a LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon. Those are triggered by configuration scripts that are found in the various /Library/ and ~/Library folders. Getting rid of the scripts stops Keystone from running in the background.
Thanks for the explanation. But does that mean there's a keystone app somewhere in the drive? I mean I would think it makes more sense to get rid of the offending app directly. If uninstalling Chrome by itself doesn't remove keystone, that means it's somewhere else in the drive, right? Or am I just too confused? :D

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for the explanation. But does that mean there's a keystone app somewhere in the drive? I mean I would think it makes more sense to get rid of the offending app directly. If uninstalling Chrome by itself doesn't remove keystone, that means it's somewhere else in the drive, right? Or am I just too confused? :D
Get rid of both. I don't have Chrome installed but I think that the keystone binary is part of the Chrome install in /Applications but I'd have to download it to check.

armoured

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
ether
Can't one install Chromium (chromium dot org )? I believe/presume it does not install the keystone stuff that seems to be part of the problem.

Reactions: jackoverfull

ADonmall

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
If one, like many of us, use all Apple products, there is zero reason to use Chrome. I use it on my corporate Windows device, tho it is a locked down version.

I was a strong proponent of Chromebook's for several years, but grew weary of Googles strategy for dumping services they can’t monetize thru selling user information.
I have to use Chrome for work as we use G Suite, Safari doesn't do a great job

acidfast7_redux

Suspended
Nov 10, 2020
uk
I have to use Chrome for work as we use G Suite, Safari doesn't do a great job
I have this same issue and Safari doesn't run Google Meet well and some of my colleagues insist on using it as it's the default option in Google Calendar.

Ugh, otherwise, I've transitioned over to Safari seemlessly and find it a nicer experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.