Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
switching over to safari, i noticed that it uses way more memory for open tabs than chrome... with 4-5 tabs, my mem usage was up to 10gb already... with chrome, i can do double with the same mem usage... both with no swapping

That’s odd. I run upwards of ten Safari tabs regularly with only 12GB of RAM while running a bunch of other stuff on my system, and the highest swap I’ve ever seen was 3MB.

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
That’s odd. I run upwards of ten Safari tabs regularly with only 12GB of RAM while running a bunch of other stuff on my system, and the highest swap I’ve ever seen was 3MB.

yeah i found that very odd too, i didnt think any browser used more mem than chrome

tonyxcom

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
Safari hasn't always been as good as it is these days so a lot of people used Chrome simply because it was better.

Reactions: burgman

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
no secret anymore :0

Chrome may be hog, but Firefox runs multiple processors... The argument for that is so tabs don't crash and halt everything else..

Big deal.... That's not really a very good reason.

Chrome (and Chromium), Safari and Firefox all run multiple processes to isolate tabs.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
The OP's experience doesn't match mine but I got the impression early on that Apple -> Sleep before closing the lid is perhaps a little more reliable (nothing scientific though). In terms of Chrome energy performance, between 23:00 last night, and 09:30 this morning, I gave my base MacBook Air its first test:

• Cisco AnyConnect (Rosetta) connected to the office.
  • Excel and Word (both Rosetta) running.
  • Safari + Chrome (with Chrome running a SwitchyOmega proxy manager and also a Skype web session).
  • Microsoft Teams (Rosetta).
  • Multiple terminal windows and multi hop tunnels to various systems on site.
  • Brightness set to Auto.
  • A few tabs open on each of Safari and Chrome.
And we were busy - the screen didn't get time to turn itself off once. Result? 23:00, 92% battery remaining. 09:30, 32% battery remaining.

My thinking at this point? If you hare having performance problems around battery life, and nothing in Activity Monitor explains this, then perhaps you should be having a conversation with Apple (or sending the laptop back if your local consumer rights allow this).

Reactions: matrix07

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I just went through the process of completely removing chrome and all the associated scripts, etc, as outlined on the "chrome is bad" website. I didn't check activity monitor because I wanted to see if my computer felt different without being biased by numbers. May be a placebo effect, but after rebooting everything is noticeably faster. Boot time was faster and apps are loading faster. Multitasking smoother as well, switching tabs and windows snappier. Using Intel 13 inch MBP with 10th gen Intel CPU.

I don't know if I would call Chrome malware, but I personally have noticeably better system performance with it gone.

Joelist

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Illinois
I noticed the same thing, performance jumped after removing Chrome.

And no Edge is not a data slurper - and really no browser slurps data like Chrome. It is basically Google spyware. Brave is also a good alternative.

Reactions: matrix07

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
Am I one of a very few people that can honestly say that I've never used Chrome for about anything? Legit curious, not being facetious.

Safari and Firefox person, myself.
I've never used Chrome on any personal computers. I once worked for a company that standardized on GCP and Chrome. I used it on that company computer only. Interestingly enough, they only were using the Google products a year before migrating away from them, including removing Chrome.

Reactions: MysticCow

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I really don't understand why so many people have issues with Chrome from a functional perspective (I certainly get the privacy concerns.) I've never had issues with Chrome on my Macs and I have been using it for so long I am not even sure exactly when I began. Most of the issues I have seen are related to extensions. The ones that are not can often be solved by tweaking individual settings.

I have historically used Little Snitch to block certain phone home processes and I manually change the keystone agent interval to only allow it to function once a week (terminal--> defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 604800).

And this is a very strange statement...but Microsoft Edge is a damned good browser on the Mac.

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I really don't understand why so many people have issues with Chrome from a functional perspective (I certainly get the privacy concerns.) I've never had issues with Chrome on my Macs and I have been using it for so long I am not even sure exactly when I began. Most of the issues I have seen are related to extensions. The ones that are not can often be solved by tweaking individual settings.

I have historically used Little Snitch to block certain phone home processes and I manually change the keystone agent interval to only allow it to function once a week (terminal--> defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 604800).

And this is a very strange statement...but Microsoft Edge is a damned good browser on the Mac.
I've always been one that automatically installed chrome on my new Mac or new PC, usually as one of the first things I did with the machine. But Chrome from a few years ago is not the same as Chrome now. It has become a bloated resource hog. My experience (your's may vary obviously) has been that getting rid of it has made my mac run better and I wouldn't have known that unless I tried to get rid of it. Like I said, essentially since Chrome was released a version of it has always been on my computer and I also always questioned why people thought it was causing performance issues, because I basically didn't know any better.

Also, it has become increasingly hard to swallow the fact that I am the product advertisers are purchasing from Google, not a customer. Chrome is not a "product" so much as bait, as is essentially everything else google makes. Now mind you I don't think there is any more nefarious purpose to Google's business model other than to sell you crap more effectively but that doesn't mean I need to make it easy for them when there are so many other options, and Safari really seems to have come into its own. I also like Edge. It's great on Mac and Windows.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
A lot of schools (maybe most?) standardized on Google Classroom which means anyone with kids doing virtual learning right now is stuck with Chrome. My guess is that Google has never made an effort to improve keystone because no one ever noticed / made a big deal about its ****** performance.

Look at Google's efforts to reduce Chrome's battery impact – none of that work really started until there was a groundswell of complaints. I figure this is part of the same deal.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
A lot of schools (maybe most?) standardized on Google Classroom which means anyone with kids doing virtual learning right now is stuck with Chrome. My guess is that Google has never made an effort to improve keystone because no one ever noticed / made a big deal about its ****** performance.

Google Classroom isn't Chrome-exclusive. It works in Firefox. Not sure about Safari, because I've never used it in Safari.

Reactions: Zazoh and Bustermd

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Calling it malware is a bit of an exaggeration but it is adware. Chrome isn't going to hack your banking account but it will mine your data. I was a big Chrome fan but not anymore. If anything use Firefox while it's still available. It's the only non chromium browser other than Safari. After it goes down Google will own the browser market.
Nope, if you are a Chrome fan, then you should like the new Edge Download New Microsoft Edge Browser | Microsoft. It is based on the same engine as Chrome, and doesn't have all of the Google telemetry going on. :) Personally, I use Edge on Windows, and Safari on my Mac.

erich.j.k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2016
Germany
Apple solved this with Mac App Store but developers want freedom. This thing will happen to iOS as well if 3rd party developer get their wishes.
Could you elaborate on that?
I haven't noticed any programs *not* writing data all over the place nor removing that data when moving the app to the bin. Kind of funny, but in that respect I miss the old days of uninstall.bat.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Wow, thanks for this thread. I had no idea about this. I have Chrome installed on both my MBA which is quite old now and my MBP 13” 2020, but I don’t use it. I use Firefox as my primary browser on my Macs, only have it as a back-up in case I have an issue Firefox.

Does this battery drain issue affect Intel machines too? I’m wondering if I should just delete it.

Thanks.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Google Classroom isn't Chrome-exclusive. It works in Firefox. Not sure about Safari, because I've never used it in Safari.
My son uses in Safari. No issues. In fact, my daughter occasionally uses her iPad with Safari to access and complete assignments in Safari. (Otherwise, she uses a Chromebook. At 14, I can't convince her to get the Air. She said MAYBE, when the Chromebook no longer works ... )

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Yeah, but schools that use GC give their students Google accounts and tie in Chrome-only extensions. It's possible to set up using a non-Chrome browser but you miss out on some of the integrations if the extensions they use only work in Chrome.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
For me the thing that pushed me away from Chrome (and Google) was when Big Sur caught Chrome trying to access Bluetooth.
It's a bloody browser: there's no way it needs to connect to anything over Bluetooth at all.

See more here:

Obviously I denied it that access as can be seen here:

View attachment 1694984
But I also lost the last bit of trust I had in Google. [We are a paying customer of theirs for some services - I'm actively looking for another provider of said services]

Last edited:

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Did you tried Microsoft Edge? Its Chromium with some bigger modifications. Chromium-Edge currently gets a Daily bigger base in corporate Windows networks.
If you try to avoid Chrome because of Google, then by all means avoid Edge because of Microsoft.

If you want a browser that's less likely to work against you:
- Safari
- Brave
- FireFox
- Opera

FWIW: Firefox today came out with an M1 native version - so it's bleeding fast on the M1 macs. Upgrade to version 84.0 and fully restart the browser to get rid of the rosetta 2 version.
more here:
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/15/firefox-now-natively-supports-m1-macs/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.