Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minvoyager

macrumors member
May 16, 2014
What I mean is Apple vet the apps in the App Store to not have sneaky behavior like this, or it will be pulled out if they find it does.

And when you uninstall it from Mac App Store you actually uninstall it. It doesn't simply delete the app from Application folder. Am I wrong in this?

Hello matrix07

When discussing this with someone like yourself, it's often useful to also ascertain the overall worldview that you use to see the world. Are you a person that basically trusts whatever you read and see? Do you trust the news? Do you trust your side's politicians? Do you trust the big names in the corporate world?

Ask yourself this factual question: If, in the year 2021, around 14 years after the iPhone was introduced, only now, Apple is changing its iOS so that apps cannot track you - the lightbulb moment is when you ask: what was happening to your data in all those 14 years?

One of the lightbulb moments, along the way, was the realisation that apps were having access to your entire iOS contacts. That's how they can recommend that you connect with that person you know - and they know that you know.

I was shocked: how can Apple let these apps get away with this?

Note that, when the app gets access to your contacts, my guess is that they don't just read it off your phone, but they help themselves to a copy of it downloaded to their servers.

Why, only in 2021, with iOS version 14, is Apple doing something about it? Why not earlier?

Reactions: jeyf

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
as mentioned here on this mighty Rumors forum:
basically you get the privacy you pay for. Free applications and services are totally NOT private.
along those lines; there is not one single for cost internet browser.

if you use a basic internet browser and attach a lot of add on's, your privacy is no better than the sum of all yiour add on's,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.