Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Brave isn't any better. There is still the crypto mining/rewards thing with Brave.
One solution is to run your Browser in a locked down VM/sandbox if you want to be more secure.
Only if you turn it on. It’s an optional way for you to block annoying ads and reward the sites you choose.
I have it turned off.

But have experimented with turning it on - You get maybe one system notification to visit a site per hour or so.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
This is real. I am not sure why those people not trying to see for themselves.

With google chrome running. Browsing same content with Chrome:

View attachment 1697120

This is under Safari browsing some contents:

View attachment 1697121

Chrome takes out your 55% computing power vs Safari's 5%

All this shows is that you have something opened in Chrome/plug-in or something else that is tripping Google Chrome.
I have seen some websites make Safari go crazy too, forcing me to close Safari and reopen it.
Reset Google Chrome completely (including deleting plug-ins) and try opening the pages you had opened.

Also: https://www.wired.com/2014/10/google-chrome-helper/
"The quick story is that Google Chrome Helper isn't really the problem. It tends to go on the rampage when there's a rogue extension" / "Google Chrome Helper" is the generic name for embedded content that runs outside the browser. Browser plug-ins aren't features that are rendered by HTML code; they involve content that needs to be pulled in from elsewhere. The "Google Chrome Helper" is the interface between the embed code in the browser and a remote server, and it's set to run automatically with Chrome's default settings. In many cases, the plug-ins and processes they're handling aren't listed by name because the APIs don't allow it. Google Chrome Helper is a martyr."

Last edited:
Reactions: Stridr69

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
if you use any situation that has 3rd party add on's you just have to be curious of the security of each add on.
at some point anonymity will eat you up and you will stop posting on macrumors.com

where to go past the Brave broser, last night watched this:

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Firefox is a direct descendant of Netscape Navigator and thus NCSA Mosaic (circa 1992).

Did you know that Netscape Communications was originally named Mosaic Communications but had to change because of trademark issues?

I've been using Firefox and its predecessors since 1993. Similarly I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird and its predecessors since the mid-Nineties, tracing their lineage back to Netscape Communicator (web browsing, e-mail/USENET, HTML editor).

Good times, good times.

I remember using Mosaic when I started college. By the time I was finishing up, we had Netscape and IE, and Google had launched (just as a search engine). It's crazy how quickly things changed in 5 years...

wicked271

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Philippines
When I first got M1 MBA the battery life is spectacular, and it ran really cool. I never shut down my laptop just close the lid when call it a night. The first couple of nights the battery was down only 2-3% when lid was closed.

Then I installed Chrome..

Gradually my MBA ran hotter. Battery life was obviously shorter, and battery lost at night was unusually high - around 6-8%.
The night before I closed the lid at 48% but woke up to it at 30%. That's almost 20% battery lost over night just sleeping. ?

Then I read this thread
and this tweet

..and yesterday I decided to delete Chrome.

Thank you so much! I have a 2016 macbook pro with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. For years I keep getting the pinwheel thing just opening a few apps and especially Safari. Recently I found that it might be some Safari extensions causing the pinwheel and after deleting the extensions, Safari was much faster but I still keep on getting the pinwheel after awhile.

After reading your post and deleting Chrome, today for the first time, I was able to open a lot of apps and have encountered no lag whatsoever!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The problem is Google themselves is forcing Chrome into unsuspecting users' throats by putting banners all over their websites that how the user will get better "experience" with Chrome, even on Chromium based browsers. Chrome basically has become a household name, akin to the old IE. It's made worse with many web devs are using Chrome for their tests.
Yeah but the real problem is people believing everything they read in advertisements and banner ads pushed by corporations interested in extracting as much money/data from them as possible.

ca$hman

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
100% yes. It is way better than Chrome. Performance is better, battery life on mobile devices is better, and Collections is reason alone to use Edge over Chrome. Collections is an awesome feature.
Edge rocks. And on my MBP M1 runs like charm, no 'energy drain' and not even swap memory usage so memory efficient it works. Can browse for hours with only 2 or 3 percent energy drop.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I have been using qutebrowser for a while now. It is written in Python with a Chromium based rendering engine (QTWebEngine). It has been a revelation, mainly because of the UI. I hardly have to touch the mouse. Have been using on OpenBSD which is my primary desktop, but it runs great on my mac as well. Very low resource usage too.

I like handcrafting my BSD and FVWM (or sometime Xmonad) setups (totally keyboard driven, I even make my own vector buttons to get an IRIX look) and qutebrowser fits right in :). Recommended particularly if you use vi as your main editor.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I don’t disagree. But many regale the privacy reasons for buying a Mac and put Chrome on it in the first 15 seconds.

Fair point. I've never used Chrome full time, but used to have it for a select few websites that seemed to balk at anything else. I've since started using the chromium based Brave for that purpose, ever since Keystone became public knowledge.

If Firefox used the touch ID based security, it'd be near ideal.

Reactions: Zazoh

David Hassholehoff

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2020
The beach
Safari is probably the most secure browser on a secure system. Why install a third party browser. I don’t get it.
I installed Firefox when Apple decided to break all plugins for Safari, and even though there are updated plugins now, nothing even comes close to:
  1. Tridactyl
  2. uMatrix
  3. Vertical Tabs Reloaded

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Better privacy with Chrome with uBlock Origin and anti-fingerprint extensions plus it doesn't require logging into cloud account to download extensions like Safari does.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Safari is probably the most secure browser on a secure system. Why install a third party browser. I don’t get it.
Agreed. I’ve only use Safari in all my Apple products and nothing else. No issues. But I have heard issues with chrome so I don’t understand why people would continue using it.

Reactions: Zazoh

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Agreed. I’ve only use Safari in all my Apple products and nothing else. No issues. But I have heard issues with chrome so I don’t understand why people would continue using it.

If you didn't hear it from security professionals then you've heard another old wives' tale. Safari was the only browser to fell and lead to OS kernel privilege escalation at last year's Pwn2Own.

https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2020/3/17/welcome-to-pwn2own-2020-the-schedule-and-live-results

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
If you didn't hear it from security professionals then you've heard another old wives' tale. Safari was the only browser to fell and lead to OS kernel privilege escalation at last year's Pwn2Own.

https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2020/3/17/welcome-to-pwn2own-2020-the-schedule-and-live-results
You are right and this is what I read about

CALEB wrote....
✓ Automatic updates
✓ Partially open-source
Tracks a great deal of user data

Over a decade has passed since the launch of Google Chrome, and it has since become the undisputed leader in browser market share, at almost 80%. Given its reputation for speed and the prevalence of Google services in our lives (web search, YouTube, Gmail, Google Docs, etc.), it’s no surprise Chrome has become the most widely used web browser today. But how does it perform on your privacy and security?

The good

In addition to leading its competitors in update frequency and scanning for harmful downloads, Google automatically updates Chrome to the latest version every six to eight weeks, ensuring its users are always enjoying the latest browsing features. Part of its code is also open-source, which allows users to scrutinize, and also adopt, parts of its code.

Google has also encouraged hackers to find vulnerabilities in its own browser so the company can improve its product.

The bad

While the browser does offer the usual pop-up blocker and allows users to send a “do not track” request along with their browser traffic (which, by the way, does very little to stop sites from tracking you), one simply cannot ignore that Chrome belongs to the company that makes millions from knowing everything about you.

From automatically signing you in to the browser to a fishy location history policy, Google seems to be developing the habit of rolling out something unpopular before reeling it back in another update. There are ways around this, but Google is still using Chrome to learn about you and then monetizing that information.

Google did announce that they would eventually force third-party cookies to identify themselves on Chrome, but no word on when that will happen, nor whether this would actually stop trackers.

Chrome also boasts an extensive library of browser extensions, which offer a range of additional functionalities but at the cost of reduced privacy. Furthermore, since Chrome is a closed-source browser, no one can crack it open to see what (if anything) is hidden in the code. That said, this is no problem if you trust Google’s stance on privacy, and there is also an open-sourced version of Chrome available.

Would we recommend this browser? Not unless you want Google tracking everything, no.” ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stridr69 and Zazoh

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2021
I am so glad, I am running Safari. Safari is freaking awesome, why would anyone run anything but it? I don't get that... design is great, it is deeply integrated for Mac OS, it ticks all the boxes. I stay away from Chrome, other when I am forced to use it for work-related crap, as we are issued Chromebooks at the office (god help us).

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I use qutebrowser as the primary browser on all of my machines (switched from Firefox). I cannot use Chrome's UI at all, and the other browsers slow me down compared to qute's vi-like keyboard navigation. However I'm probably an oddball because I quickly develop "Luxan hyper-rage" if I have to use one of the newer graphical editors on my colleagues' machines (most of them now have a vim install before they ask me for technical help :)).

UI aside, the main reason for not using Safari is portability: I use macOS, Windows, Linux (primarily for my day job), OpenBSD (I develop for it and use it as my primary system). I want one browser on all these platforms so I can sync my state without any untrusted third parties in the mix (primary reason for using OpenBSD).

Safari is nice and fast. I occasionally use it when on my mac for Apple Pay and for media consumption (MUCH more efficient compared to other browsers). For general web browsing I don't see much difference. I hope that people use it and that Apple keeps improving it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.