Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Does Keystone persist after the Chrome uninstall, or is it deleted?

EDIT: Just uninstalled Chrome, keystone persisted. Had to manually remove it.
The article Loren wrote in first post has a great detailed method to remove all of the Chrome/Keystone stain.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Chrome needs bluetooth access to support 2FA keys as well as streaming to Chromecast devices. I mean, they could be using it for all kinds of things as well, but those are the main things I know of. Safari doesn't need bluetooth access because it's Safari.

Not trying to say the concern isn't warranted, but they do have legit reasons to request that access.

Reactions: stevenaaus

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Chrome is a browser pushed by an advertising company.

Advertising is crap you don't want that consumes resources and (these days) scrapes at much info as it legally (or otherwise) can about you.

If you need/want a chrome based browser, try Brave. It's basically Chrome with all that crap stripped out (compatible with Chrome plugins), a built in ad-blocker and built in Tor browser.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Could you elaborate on that?
I haven't noticed any programs *not* writing data all over the place nor removing that data when moving the app to the bin. Kind of funny, but in that respect I miss the old days of uninstall.bat.
What I mean is Apple vet the apps in the App Store to not have sneaky behavior like this, or it will be pulled out if they find it does.

And when you uninstall it from Mac App Store you actually uninstall it. It doesn't simply delete the app from Application folder. Am I wrong in this?

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Am I one of a very few people that can honestly say that I've never used Chrome for about anything? Legit curious, not being facetious.

Safari and Firefox person, myself.
I used to install it when it's first developed. I'm a PC user then and I uninstalled it almost immediately as well because I found some processes still running even when I closed Chrome. I thought 10+ years after thing will be better. It's simply the same.

Reactions: throAU

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Day 2. Battery's still great. Lost only 1% sleeping 8 hours.

Seems I got my Air back.

battery 2.jpg

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
And when you uninstall it from Mac App Store you actually uninstall it. It doesn't simply delete the app from Application folder. Am I wrong in this?

Apps on the Mac App Store have to be 100% contained within the .app bundle. So in that case, deleting the app is enough to completely remove it.

There at least were some apps that required you to install a helper app from the developer's website to unlock certain functionality because of that limitation. It's gotten better over time.

EDIT: All that said, it's pretty common that Apps that don't use a sandbox will write all over ~/Library, and can use considerable amounts of disk space, depending on what they do. Apps that do use a sandbox can still write to their containers in ~/Library/Containers or "~/Library/Group Containers", leaving a bunch of crud behind after an uninstall.

A good example is Outlook in my case eating GBs of space within the sandbox.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Chrome is a browser pushed by an advertising company.

Advertising is crap you don't want that consumes resources and (these days) scrapes at much info as it legally (or otherwise) can about you.

If you need/want a chrome based browser, try Brave. It's basically Chrome with all that crap stripped out (compatible with Chrome plugins), a built in ad-blocker and built in Tor browser.
The problem is Google themselves is forcing Chrome into unsuspecting users' throats by putting banners all over their websites that how the user will get better "experience" with Chrome, even on Chromium based browsers. Chrome basically has become a household name, akin to the old IE. It's made worse with many web devs are using Chrome for their tests.

Reactions: Nightfury326

Amenard

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2019
The big problem in ditching Chrome, is if you do frontend development and your code editor of choice is VS Code, it uses Chrome as a debugger. Of course I'm more of a desktop guy, so the battery thingy isn't really a problem for me.

But would it be possible to create a script or utility that totally kill the remaining background process once an app is closed? This could take care of Chrome orphans draining the battery.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
After deleting Chrome and all the associated files, as called out on the ChromeIsBad website, do you think there's any benefit to doing a clean install of Big Sur 11.1? I'm not seeing any issues, but my OCD is telling me to do it. It's so new without any data files transferred to it yet, so it wouldn't be a huge hassle.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
After deleting Chrome and all the associated files, as called out on the ChromeIsBad website, do you think there's any benefit to doing a clean install of Big Sur 11.1? I'm not seeing any issues, but my OCD is telling me to do it. It's so new without any data files transferred to it yet, so it wouldn't be a huge hassle.
Despite the subject title, Chrome isn't malware. If you've deleted the Chrome app from /Applications and the Keystone files in /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons and ~/Library/LaunchAgents it is completely gone. It isn't hiding anywhere else.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
Despite the subject title, Chrome isn't malware. If you've deleted the Chrome app from /Applications and the Keystone files in /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons and ~/Library/LaunchAgents it is completely gone. It isn't hiding anywhere else.
Thanks. Yeah, I know it's not malware, but I didn't want any associated file running in the background, like Keystone, using up any resources unnecessarily.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Google could end this controversy pretty easily. Open Source Keystone. They like to pretend they are an Open Source company. This would be a good time to show it.
Because if they made the amount of data collection Chrome does public people would throw a fit. I don't know why anyone would be shocked that software made by an advertising company is collecting data but people can be naive. I remember when people used to download silly toolbars and weather apps that would spy on them. Now it's integrated into the browser ?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I did it. Chrome user for the last several years, migrated my bookmarks and deleted Chrome and all associates folders and files. Safari's gonna take some getting used to, but you all convinced me.
Try Firefox. I don't know why I used anything else before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.