Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Safari is probably the most secure browser on a secure system. Why install a third party browser. I don’t get it.
Because it does not support two must need extensions. It's also the reason why I use Android instead of an iPhone and use my iPad more music and video playback only for those two extensions.

Reactions: Stridr69 and Zazoh

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am so glad, I am running Safari. Safari is freaking awesome, why would anyone run anything but it? I don't get that... design is great, it is deeply integrated for Mac OS, it ticks all the boxes. I stay away from Chrome, other when I am forced to use it for work-related crap, as we are issued Chromebooks at the office (god help us).
Unfortunately, a lot of people are addicted to Google even though they know it is bad for them. They also are addicted to their browser extensions which can create security risk etc, not to mention being slower and degrading performance at times.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Unfortunately, a lot of people are addicted to Google even though they know it is bad for them. They also are addicted to their browser extensions which can create security risk etc, not to mention being slower and degrading performance at times.

Those extensions, like the one that prevents Google from cramming a 1.5 minute unskippable political add down my throat, in the middle of some random video.

Granted, you make good points.

Reactions: Veeper

David Hassholehoff

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2020
The beach
I have been using qutebrowser for a while now. It is written in Python with a Chromium based rendering engine (QTWebEngine). It has been a revelation, mainly because of the UI. I hardly have to touch the mouse. Have been using on OpenBSD which is my primary desktop, but it runs great on my mac as well. Very low resource usage too.

I like handcrafting my BSD and FVWM (or sometime Xmonad) setups (totally keyboard driven, I even make my own vector buttons to get an IRIX look) and qutebrowser fits right in :). Recommended particularly if you use vi as your main editor.
Oh my god. HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?! What an awesome browser!

Reactions: topcat001

JohnE121

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2021
Columbus Ohio
I sent a link to this thread to a friend. He said that he has never installed Chrome on his machine but uses Google Drive. He found Keystone on his machine.

OldGreyGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2014
Near Brisbane, Australia
I sent a link to this thread to a friend. He said that he has never installed Chrome on his machine but uses Google Drive. He found Keystone on his machine.
Yes, they push it in to your system with Google Drive as well. If you have to you can just use the web interface for Drive, less convenient but it can be done.

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Command + Shift + 4 is your friend - taking photos instead of using screengrab is silly.

Seems like an Intel problem more than a macOS problem to be fair, I can replicate that at work, but on my own M1, next to nothing.

View attachment 1697172

(Ignore the highlighted process, was having fun trying to kill it - on M1 Electron based apps like Discord are the new king resource hog, as Rosetta seemingly cannot translate it efficiently).
it's not an Intel issue. Just his/her setup on their Mac. Using Firefox, Chrome and Safari on this screen shot.
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 5.32.05 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 5.32.05 PM.png
    848.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 5.32.05 PM.png
    848.4 KB · Views: 93

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Command + Shift + 4 is your friend - taking photos instead of using screengrab is silly.

Seems like an Intel problem more than a macOS problem to be fair, I can replicate that at work, but on my own M1, next to nothing.

View attachment 1697172

(Ignore the highlighted process, was having fun trying to kill it - on M1 Electron based apps like Discord are the new king resource hog, as Rosetta seemingly cannot translate it efficiently).
Thanks for the screengrab info. Couldn't remember off the top of my head there... Been awhile since using MacOS... ;)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Command + Shift + 4, then hover cursor over window and hit spacebar, left click - will take a screenshot of the current window.

Holding control during command + shift + 4 - will store it in your clipboard instead of creating a file.

Finally, command shift + 5 gives you loads of the arcane command + shift + 4 keyboard gymnastics in a nice UI and you can record your screen too

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
On my 2014 16GB MBP and 16GB M1 Air Safari has issues maintaining the sound in a Twitch stream, it will cut out briefly, sometimes regularly every couple of minutes, i so I either use Chrome or an iPad for that purpose.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Chrome works fine here. Memory used 5.36GB, system CPU utilization <3% with three tabs and no drain during sleep. Could've been blaming Big Sur bugs on Chrome. No follow ups means they don't care about truth and just want to spread FUD for clickbait.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
your security is a random thing but no better than the sum of all the junk add on's you have loaded. All it takes is one bad apple.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
How exactly is Google "bad" for me? The horror of getting ads of items that may interest me. How awful.

Reactions: Stridr69

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Interesting. Anyone know if Brave, which I'm reasonably sure is Chromium based, has this same issue? I'm guessing not, but?? (See below where I answer myself).

Overall I've had a much better ad-and-tracker-blocking-experience using Brave than I have had with any of the browsers using ad-ons of one type or another, and would like to stick with it if possible.

EDIT: I have found this magical thing call 'The DuckDuckGo' and it took me down this long series of tubes to an interweb location that suggest that Brave uses something called "Sparkle" for updating, and is thus does not cause this issue. If this issue actually exists. Plus, sparkle = unicorns. So good.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Interesting. Anyone know if Brave, which I'm reasonably sure is Chromium based, has this same issue? I'm guessing not, but??

Overall I've had a much better ad-and-tracker-blocking-experience using Brave than I have had with any of the browsers using ad-ons of one type or another, and would like to stick with it if possible.

Bravo has been caught redirecting searches like what malware does. All it takes is one bad decision to lose people's trust. I'd rather have targeted ads which don't appear anyway with uBlock Origin than malware redirects.

https://decrypt.co/31522/crypto-brave-browser-redirect

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
You will always have ads, whether they are derived from google data mining or not. I'd rather have ads tailored to me. Nothing is free.
Always? I sure don't right now, at least not the obtrusive variety.

Identity politics from Google, right in the middle of an apolitical video. No way.

In contrast, I'm tolerant of sponsored content. Ex: An an axle company sponsorship if I'm watching offroad racing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.