Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Look at this beautiful battery graph on Day 3 ❤️

It just wouldn't move when sleeping.
Day 3.png

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Microsoft are worse than Google for data slurping, so you trade a lesser to a greater evil by going that route.
You are absolutely nuts if you truly believe this. Google makes their money by offering advertisers a way to finely target their ads. Microsoft sells Software and services. Google has a reason to collect everything you do. Microsoft has absolutely no reason.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Hope that people will just stop and think about the Keystone thing for a second. WHY would a program need an updater that runs all the time? WHAT might such a program be doing? IS it a coincidence that this program is from the number one ad targeting company on the net?

Reactions: cfdlab

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

For some of us (eg. me), voiding Google altogether is not possible. I don't need Chrome, but I do use Google Drive. And it seems the keystone entry keeps adding itself back. I found this old article about setting its update interval into a much less frequency than the default (which is a ridiculous every 5 hours interval based on the article).

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
It's a bloody browser: there's no way it needs to connect to anything over Bluetooth at all.
Google's Titan security key is Bluetooth, hence why Chrome supports Bluetooth. There is also support for the ChromeCast.
Always Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo search things before spitting out nonsense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Honestly, it kind of make sense.

I rarely use Chrome but I always have it installed. (Sometimes for some reason if a website doesn't work in Safari, I try it in Chrome instead.)

However, I have the habit of doing a "clean install" once or twice a year. I know that a Mac shouldn't need that (No registry), but I've always felt that eventually MacOS feel "unstable" and "sluggish" eventually, and after a clean install I get the feeling that everything is quicker and more stable.

Now I realize the reason may be that I rarely install Chrome right after a clean install, that I often install it only when I feel I need to try a website in Chrome. So basically maybe all those clean installs was just a way to uninstall Chrome without realizing it :p

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
There is no evidence that Edge slurps data at all, much less worse than the spyware known as Chrome.

Actually there is plenty of evidence of it doing so.

In an enterprise situation you can control what actually gets sent back to the Microsoft mothership (with extensive and strict group policy utilisation anyway), in consumer land the default is for all products to send everything back to Microsoft. The option to turn it off only exists because the EU used carrot or stick methodology (Why N versions are available for download in Europe of all Microsoft software distributions).

Most notable with Chromium Edge was when it was released, it was heavily reported that the Windows version was automatically slurping configurations, bookmarks, browsing history etc without any permission given.

Very minimal differences between different OS versions besides operating system specific implementations.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Chrome needs bluetooth access to support 2FA keys as well as streaming to Chromecast devices.
Sure, but I don't use Google's 2FA nor do I own any Chromecast devices at all. There's really no reason at all to access it.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Google's Titan security key is Bluetooth, hence why Chrome supports Bluetooth. There is also support for the ChromeCast
Not using either their 2FA nor any of their hardware inside the house at all. There is *NO* reason for them to seek to access anything on Bluetooth.

Always Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo search things before spitting out nonsense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for that personal attack. Noted.

Prince134

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
This is real. I am not sure why those people not trying to see for themselves.

With google chrome running. Browsing same content with Chrome:

IMG_5034.jpg

This is under Safari browsing some contents:

IMG_5036.jpg

Chrome takes out your 55% computing power vs Safari's 5%

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
This is real. I am not sure why those people not trying to see for themselves.

With google chrome running. Browsing same content with Chrome:

Chrome takes out your 55% computing power vs Safari's 5%
Command + Shift + 4 is your friend - taking photos instead of using screengrab is silly.

Seems like an Intel problem more than a macOS problem to be fair, I can replicate that at work, but on my own M1, next to nothing.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 23.04.14.png

(Ignore the highlighted process, was having fun trying to kill it - on M1 Electron based apps like Discord are the new king resource hog, as Rosetta seemingly cannot translate it efficiently).

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Command + Shift + 4 is your friend - taking photos instead of using screengrab is silly.

Seems like an Intel problem more than a macOS problem to be fair, I can replicate that at work, but on my own M1, next to nothing.

View attachment 1697172

(Ignore the highlighted process, was having fun trying to kill it - on M1 Electron based apps like Discord are the new king resource hog, as Rosetta seemingly cannot translate it efficiently).
Maybe whatever phone home software Google has bundled with Chrome hasn’t been updated for M1 yet. Give them a little bit and they’ll have your CPU working for them soon ??‍♂️

valynor

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2020
If you want to get away from Google invading your privacy but still like Chrome as a browser - try one of these versions:

esp. the ungoogled chromium one has all code removed that contacts Google servers. Widevine+codecs are supported but obviously no syncing or auto-updates. Also no AArch64 version .. yet.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I REALLY do not like Chrome these days. However, is YouTube still "works best" on Chrome? In the past I have tried Microsoft Edge (both Windows and macOS), Safari, and Brave (Windows and macOS) and YouTube would always be a buggy experience. But on Chrome it was always perfect. Has this changed?

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I've been using Firefox for somewhere around a decade. Glad you've joined us.
Firefox is a direct descendant of Netscape Navigator and thus NCSA Mosaic (circa 1992).

Did you know that Netscape Communications was originally named Mosaic Communications but had to change because of trademark issues?

I've been using Firefox and its predecessors since 1993. Similarly I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird and its predecessors since the mid-Nineties, tracing their lineage back to Netscape Communicator (web browsing, e-mail/USENET, HTML editor).

Good times, good times.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

View attachment 1697172

Discord has really been irritating me. I was concerned about this, so I posted in the Discord reddit and my post was removed because they don't like discussing issues.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Firefox is a direct descendant of Netscape Navigator and thus NCSA Mosaic (circa 1992).

Did you know that Netscape Communications was originally named Mosaic Communications but had to change because of trademark issues?

I've been using Firefox and its predecessors since 1993. Similarly I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird and its predecessors since the mid-Nineties, tracing their lineage back to Netscape Communicator (web browsing, e-mail/USENET, HTML editor).

Good times, good times.
This is some neat info. For some reason I preferred Netscape in the late 90s. I even ordered a disc off the Netscape website, I think. I’d use Netscape mail too, for my ISP’s email. When I got a PowerBook in something like 2003, I started using Safari and then at some point switched to Firefox and never really looked back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.