Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
I'm wondering how well an upgrade of the original VRM would work if I went easy (?) on the upgrades: a single 7457 cpu upgrade, Radeon 9000 Pro, and SSD.
I’m a bit late but you can only fit a Radeon 9000 Pro in if you have a one-sided VRM which has all big components on the side where the AirPort Card is because the 9000 Pro is bigger than the stock Rage Pro which already almost touches the large inductors on the stock VRM. Cuebus‘ VRM is not a one-sided one, nor are Artmix/Stratos’ or Gigadesigns‘ VRM one-sided.
I wonder if evanbonnies VRM is ready to sell after six and a half months?

Last edited:

Gry Sql

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
OWC Case w:9800 copy.JPG

(Circa 2006)

Hope I'm not intruding...
I just stumbled across this Cube discussion, wow, it sure got my old brain churning. Now I'm digging through my ancient files to see if I can find any info that may help here.

About 20 years ago a few folks (actually LOTS of folks) got together on a website called Cubeowner and created some incredible modified Cubes. Another website that worked extensively on flashing PC video cards to Mac ROM's was 'StrangeDogs', with a very large repository of PC>Mac video card ROM's.
Now those websites are gone and almost all of that Cube knowledge went with them.

The big finale were Cubes with dual CPU's, ATI Black Sapphire 9800-128's and many other 'flashed' PC video cards, Giga C-VRM's, SATA HDD's using a SATA Bridge, modified cases, cooling strategies, etc, etc. It was a fun time.
It's sure nice to see this little Cube machine getting some love!
I had video card ROM's and equipment and personally 'flashed' over 50 various makes/models of PC video cards for myself and members. I just looked and there is an old-timer from that group that has an Ebay presence that can still flash a video card from PC to Mac.

I'll stay out of the way here but after I re-educate myself on some of what we learned I might drop in to chat, fun.

Just for bonafides I dug up a couple pictures from the year 2006 of one of my personal modified Cubes with an ATI 9800 w/Zalman fan, RAM copper heatsinks and that Cube's test, check out the CPU spec's.

Cubesink1 copy.jpg
Cube tests copy.jpg

Gry Sql

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Thats why the Wayback archive exists...
Thanks for that, I was able to find some 'way back then' website snapshots.

One of the last websites we participated in was 'The Mac Elite Wiki'*, a collection of the best Mac 'mad scientists' in the Mac modding world, I just tagged along and helped moderate the Cube section and kept the ROM's organized for download.
About 2008 the most modern architecture, low power consumption, small sized general use (not gaming tho) video card for the Cube was the XFX Geforce 6200, PV-T44A-WANG 256MB DDR2. Although they ran cool most users put a fan on them.

Regarding the pictures I provided above, alas, I no longer own a Cube or any associated equipment or parts.

*BTW, I authored that linked TME webpage back in 2008, my handle back then was 'Fangsuede'.

Last edited:

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
I also have a 6200 which runs fine passively cooled with the heatsink turned 90 degrees to go with the airflow in the Cube and runs fine with the downclocked ROM and a 6200 which runs overclocked with a fan. The method I flash the chips though is (for me atleast) way easier then the one with the PC. I tried three different PCs, wasted a hell lot of time and finally ended up with a cheap hot air station, a 10 Euro Amazon USB BIOS flasher and Asprogrammer on my Windows Laptop which takes around 20 minutes to flash a card for me. I would recommend that method for everyone flashing any Graphics Card for any Mac.

Gry Sql

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
finally ended up with a cheap hot air station, a 10 Euro Amazon USB BIOS flasher and Asprogrammer on my Windows Laptop which takes around 20 minutes to flash a card for me. I would recommend that method for everyone flashing any Graphics Card for any Mac.
That's cheating - haha - sounds fantastic! I haven't kept up with advancements like those, we were in the Dark Ages. I just looked on Amazon at your list, that's rocket science compared to my era! :oops:

My flashing rig was made out of my neighbors HP PC he threw away in the trash, stripped of everything but the main motherboard and power supply, plugged into an old 15" monitor - the whole mess sitting in a corner of my garage.

Reactions: EmilioCube
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.