Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacD

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Upgraded quickly because I wanted iPhone Mirroring (which isn't supported on my 2019 iMac apparently - sigh) and it's been fine for me. I also have 40GB of RAM.

Reactions: Canadia69

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Have you tried installing Sequoia from scratch on a freshly formatted drive?
No I did not but it would probably have been smoother...only thing preventing from doing so is time...spent enough time upgrading/downgrading and have to work...but you kind of tempted me to try

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
2019 iMac 27 inch Intel. Upgraded and seems to work OK. iPhone mirroring doesn't work - the app is there but cannot connect to my iPhone 13 Pro. I guess my Intel Mac does not work with this feature

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
2018 Mini here.

I DO NOT install Apple beta OS's on my internal drive -- NEVER have done that.

I have ALWAYS used EXTERNAL SSDs as my "test platforms" for developer and beta releases.
This has worked well for me.

I've had the Sequoia developer releases running from a day or two after they were first released, without problems. Seem fast, smooth and stable on my 2018 Mini. I use a Crucial X9 for my boot drive.

I don't have any plans to install it as my "main OS" on the Mini, which STILL RUNS Mojave.
Indeed, I bought the Mini expressly to have the option of running 32 bit apps into the future.

But again, I can boot/run from my "Sequoia external SSD", and the Mini runs just fine that way, too.

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I updated my iMac Pro to Sequoia yesterday (Tuesday afternoon) and it's been running fine. Not faster, not slower, performance is about the same.

iPhone mirroring does not work on the iMac Pro but it works fine on my Mac Studio and M1 Pro MacBook Pro.

One thing that I did notice is that Idle is up a little when the computer isn't doing anything. It gets up to about 98.5% where it didn't get up that high on Sonoma.

Last edited:

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Update: Its been less than 24h since downgrading all the way down to Monteray (macOS 12) and I must say it was a really good descision as my Mac as never felt snappier. The most noticeable is moving windows arounds, its so smooth. Making me rethink updating the software after a mac turned 3y or older...

Only hassle was finding versions of software that worked with macOS12 (like mySQL, Docker and zoom) but found compatible version after looking around
If I may ask, why did you go back to Monterey? I've been thinking about going back to Ventura since I never thought Sonoma was all that great on my 2019 iMac. Thanks.

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
2019 iMac 27 inch Intel. Upgraded and seems to work OK. iPhone mirroring doesn't work - the app is there but cannot connect to my iPhone 13 Pro. I guess my Intel Mac does not work with this feature
On my 2019 15' map I also had issues in the beginning, thought it was not going to connect but kept trying Connect and eventually it worked, I was just too impatient and had to give it 20-30sec to connect.

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
As per the system requirements unfortunately your Mac doesn't support it.

If his Mac doesn't support it, why does he have the iPhone Mirroring app? Strange they would add an app that just doesn't work..

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
If I may ask, why did you go back to Monterey? I've been thinking about going back to Ventura since I never thought Sonoma was all that great on my 2019 iMac. Thanks.
its only because they released Universal Control on Monterey and I use that a lot

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
If his Mac doesn't support it, why does he have the iPhone Mirroring app? Strange they would add an app that just doesn't work..
Apple does weird things like that, I remember getting prompted multiple times to update to a macOS version incompatible with the computer in question. Perhaps they want to remind you to get a new computer.

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
On my 2019 15' map I also had issues in the beginning, thought it was not going to connect but kept trying Connect and eventually it worked, I was just too impatient and had to give it 20-30sec to connect.
Does your Mac have the T2 chip or Apple Silicon?

To answer my own question, yes it does - I looked it up

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
It's right in the dock too.

It should work, if it doesn't give a message that your Mac is not supported. Mine didn't work too on an M3 iMac but I think it's just fault of VPN settings like this LAN thing.

Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 03.00.06.png
Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 03.01.33.png

I want to have kill switch...
Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 03.04.35.png

And there is also a different VPN on the phone. I can't use it anyway with my regular AppStore account, because of region.

Last edited:

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Im surprised. What are the most intensive apps are you using? And Safari is not laggier than usual? Mine could not handle a 2 intelliJ windows, a couple of safari tabs and the iPhone Mirroring.

I downgraded back to Monterrey and it feels so smooth in contrast, smoother than Sonoma or or ventura probably felt..might reconsider at .1 or .2
How much RAM do you have?

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
i updated my 2019 i 15inch 2.3ghz intel mac to Sequoia…
my mac is soo much slower, everything is slow..Safari in particular is incredibly slow..

first time a macOs update slows down my mac this much..i know it will get better with updates soon but my mac is lmost unusable.

One thing you should try: a clean install. Wipe your hard drive and do a fresh, clean install of Sequoia. Then clean install your apps/programs. Don't reinstall from a Time Machine image or backup.

I've found this makes an enormous difference across all Apple products when a major OSX or iOS version is released. Performance is always better, errors are nonexistent or few. It's worth the extra bit of effort for a year or two of trouble-free performance.

TAwoniyi

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
It's right in the dock too.
Same here (iMac 2019 27"). Phone mirroring doesn't work as I don't have T2 so I didn't expect it to. But weird that the app is there, it loads up, asks me to connect my phone, enter my pin into my phone, only for it to fail upon connection. Thought they'd just not push the app to my Mac tbh or at least have a compatibility message.

However would say, Sequoia works great so far! My iMac is booting way faster than Sonoma.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Seeing as I make my living off my computer I always wait a few months before upgrading to the latest OS
100% agree.

I'm happy for the vast majority of people who upgrade and experience no issues, but I'd hate to be the outlier that ends up with a non functioning Mac… so a wait until things seem OK is fine by me.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Seeing as I make my living off my computer I always wait a few months before upgrading to the latest OS
i make my living off my computer, too, yet run all the betas. while i have certainly had some challenging moments... i always get my work done.

we do what we choose to do (as long as we accept the consequences 🤔)

Reactions: Bungaree.Chubbins

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
MacBook Pro 2015 - can be upgraded to macOS 12 Monterey officially

I decided to keep it on macOS 10.15 Catalina since it is the last version designed for intel...

Yes newer macOS releases still support intel but they are primarily designed to work with Apple Silicon so if you want the latest version and the best experience, purchase the latest hardware provided you have the money for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.