Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
iPhone 6s Plus (Samsung A9). I am on 9.3.5 now. I downgraded from 10.0.1 while I still could months ago. I have kept an eye on the subsequent 10.x releases and betas trying to determine when I should upgrade, hoping this issue could be rectified as iOS 10 was optimized. It seems with each release, there were still those plagued by scrolling lags and dropped frames, and others who had no issues at all. I have no idea about the latest beta, so I was asking.
If you can get your hands on an iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.1 or 10.3 and compare it to yours, that would give you a good idea about the speed/smoothness and that would be better than asking others' opinions because some people are more sensitive to stutter than others.
I didn't feel a noticeable difference between iOS 10.3(.1)and 10.3.2 betas in terms of speed/smoothness.

Jaw3000

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
If you can get your hands on an iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.1 or 10.3 and compare it to yours, that would give you a good idea about the speed/smoothness and that would be better than asking others' opinions because some people are more sensitive to stutter than others.
I didn't feel a noticeable difference between iOS 10.3(.1)and 10.3.2 betas in terms of speed/smoothness.

Thanks for the response. Do you remember a difference in performance between 10.0 and 10.3.x? I might play around with a 6s on 10.3.1 at an Apple Store and see.

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Thanks for the response. Do you remember a difference in performance between 10.0 and 10.3.x? I might play around with a 6s on 10.3.1 at an Apple Store and see.
I remember that iOS 10.3 did improve the general smoothness, so scrolling in the App Store for example is 60fps with some very rare frame drops. Whereas it used to be 60-55fps on iOS versions prior to 10.3 and including 9.3.5.
Where exactly did you see lag on iOS 10.0?
In the current iOS 10.3.2 there is some occasional stutters here and there but definitely not more than 9.3.5. So if you're fine on 9.3.5 I would expect you to be happy with 10.3.x

Reactions: jhall8

Jaw3000

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Where exactly did you see lag on iOS 10.0?

During scrolling, there would be frequent jitters, frame drops, pauses, white spaces while loading, etc. which combined to provide a slow and annoying experience compared to 9.3.5. As soon as I downgraded, the issues ceased. It was especially noticeable fast-scrolling long sites in Safari or fast-scrolling other long lists of content, like in Messages or songs/albums in Music. I also noticed HTML-based apps, like the App Store, would take much longer to launch on 10.0 compared to 9.3.5.

Reactions: Daniel80

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Digital audio sent to an external device (DAC) still mutes after a random period even though the Music app still thinks it is playing.

Once this has happened I can redirect audio to an airplay device and then back to the DAC and then the sound returns.

This has been broken since 10.3 and attracts a lot of attention in audio hardware forums.

The concern for me is that apple has been aware of this "bug" for a while. Certainly in the time between these last two betas and hasn't fixed the issue. The DAC manufacturer's have all released statements to say Apple is aware of the problem and I had a response from my bug report to say it was a duplicate. I'm starting to think that those of us that listen to their iPhones through a DAC is such a niche market that they won't implement a fix.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
During scrolling, there would be frequent jitters, frame drops, pauses, white spaces while loading, etc. which combined to provide a slow and annoying experience compared to 9.3.5. As soon as I downgraded, the issues ceased. It was especially noticeable fast-scrolling long sites in Safari or fast-scrolling other long lists of content, like in Messages or songs/albums in Music. I also noticed HTML-based apps, like the App Store, would take much longer to launch on 10.0 compared to 9.3.5.
Dude, just update. Scrolling is much better on 10.3.x now and is ridiculously smooth.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Thanks for the response! iOS 9.3.5 was far better than 10.0 for me on my 6s. I noticed fairly severe frame drops and lags scrolling in Safari and long lists (like Messages or songs in Music). Hopefully, this has been fixed and improved upon as iOS 10 has progressed and been optimized. It sounds like perhaps it has. Out of curiosity, do you know if your 6s has a Samsung or TSCM A9 chip?
Update! Security and APFS!

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
The Control Center opening animation is smooth as crap on my iPhone 7 Plus.
It definitely stutters a couple times a day on my 7. Not a big deal, but hoping the final helps with it. Glad it's not happening on your plus. Maybe that extra ram.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
On 10.3.2 Beta 4, iPhone getting heated while using data and simultaneous charging.
Was not heating this way on 10.3.1 public release.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
On 10.3.2 Beta 4, iPhone getting heated while using data and simultaneous charging.

Did you just update? Your phone might be reindexing or doing some other work in the background.

Sometimes after an update, iCloud Photo Library has to resync, which can cause the phone to get warm for a bit.

Either way, whatever it is should finish eventually and your phone should be fine.

Reactions: sbailey4

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Did you just update? Your phone might be reindexing or doing some other work in the background.

Sometimes after an update, iCloud Photo Library has to resync, which can cause the phone to get warm for a bit.

Either way, whatever it is should finish eventually and your phone should be fine.

I had updated 24 hours ago.
This heating is happening repeatedly whenever data is used.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Could somebody running the current beta check their setting time zone toggle and tell me if they have a Greyed out arrow even when it's switched off? Thanks. Just checking if they fixed this bug from 10.3-10.3.1.

DeadKlau5

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Could somebody running the current beta check their setting time zone toggle and tell me if they have a Greyed out arrow even when it's switched off? Thanks. Just checking if they fixed this bug from 10.3-10.3.1.
they didn't fixed it..
I'm on the latest beta

Attachments

• IMG_0374.PNG
    IMG_0374.PNG
    154.1 KB · Views: 211

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Using data and charging at same time will cause it to warm. No issue with that as its normal.
[doublepost=1493226059][/doublepost]

they didn't fixed it..
I'm on the latest beta
Are you saying you have had that switch off and the arrow shows up randomly?That arrow means that location was used within 24 hrs for that particular item. Turning off the toggle wont clear that. But if you have had that off always and the location still appears then yeah maybe something not quite right.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Using data and charging at same time will cause it to warm. No issue with that as its normal.
I tried it subsequently and found that the phone is heating even when it was not being charged, but data was being used.
Moreover, this behaviour has worsened on 10.3.2 for the same scenario as in 10.3.1 or in Beta 3.

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
[doublepost=1493226059][/doublepost]

Are you saying you have had that switch off and the arrow shows up randomly?That arrow means that location was used within 24 hrs for that particular item. Turning off the toggle wont clear that. But if you have had that off always and the location still appears then yeah maybe something not quite right.
Always have had the switch off forever.
[doublepost=1493228838][/doublepost]
they didn't fixed it..
I'm on the latest beta
Hopefully they fix this. This could explain my slightly less battery life I've experienced since I've upgraded to iOS 10.3-10.3.1 if the location is being pinged randomly throughout the day which it appears to be.

Last edited:

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
Always have had the switch off forever.
[doublepost=1493228838][/doublepost]
Hopefully they fix this. This could explain my slightly less battery life I've experienced since I've upgraded to iOS 10.3-10.3.1 if the location is being pinged randomly throughout the day which it appears to be.
What's there to fix? That location arrow is intentional. It means that that service has used your location recently.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
What's there to fix? That location arrow is intentional. It means that that service has used your location recently.
Even if the switch has been turned off forever and you don't want this service to be used and it has never behaved this way prior to iOS 10.3-10.3.1?

Seems like a new bug to me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/10-3-location-service-arrow-pops-up-once-a-while.2039819/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-turning-on-by-itself.2043194/#post-24528486

Make sure you have status bar icon turned on in system services and you'll see the arrow pop up every now and then when you wake up your device (in the status bar) and then it will go away after a second or two. I used to think it was my Apple Watch faces causing it which it does occasionally but this also happens on my 5C which has no Apple Watch paired to it and the only grayed out arrow is setting time zone (which has always been switched off) so it's gotta be it.

Last edited:

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
The concern for me is that apple has been aware of this "bug" for a while. Certainly in the time between these last two betas and hasn't fixed the issue. The DAC manufacturer's have all released statements to say Apple is aware of the problem and I had a response from my bug report to say it was a duplicate. I'm starting to think that those of us that listen to their iPhones through a DAC is such a niche market that they won't implement a fix.

Apple made a similar blunder about 2 years ago which is why I bought a 128GB IPod Touch as a backup media player. I have not updated it beyond IOS 9.

My bug report is still open after a fortnight and when I raised another for beta 3 that was returned as a duplicate. My concern is that it might not get addressed until iOS 11. A major VPN bug that occurred this time last year was not fixed until the ios10 betas. Personally I didn't want to go to iOS 11 on my 6s+ as I will lose my 32 bit apps.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Ok well explain this. Whats the purpose of the switch/toggle? If its going to use location anyway no matter if the switch is toggled off why have the option to turn on or off those individual switches?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I tried it subsequently and found that the phone is heating even when it was not being charged, but data was being used.
Moreover, this behaviour has worsened on 10.3.2 for the same scenario as in 10.3.1 or in Beta 3.

How many dots of signal do you have?

If you have a weak signal the phone might be upping transmit power to reach the tower, causing it to warm more. This is especially an issue on band 30 which doesn't penetrate buildings as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.