Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
Ok well explain this. Whats the purpose of the switch/toggle? If its going to use location anyway no matter if the switch is toggled off why have the option to turn on or off those individual switches?
Well, if you have automatic time zone detection enabled on your device, it's most likely going to ignore the toggle anyways.
[doublepost=1493238809][/doublepost]
Even if the switch has been turned off forever and you don't want this service to be used and it has never behaved this way prior to iOS 10.3-10.3.1?

Seems like a new bug to me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/10-3-location-service-arrow-pops-up-once-a-while.2039819/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-turning-on-by-itself.2043194/#post-24528486

Make sure you have status bar icon turned on in system services and you'll see the arrow pop up every now and then when you wake up your device (in the status bar) and then it will go away after a second or two. I used to think it was my Apple Watch faces causing it which it does occasionally but this also happens on my 5C which has no Apple Watch paired to it and the only grayed out arrow is setting time zone (which has always been switched off) so it's gotta be it.
It's intentional then. If you have it set to automatically detect your timezone in Date & Time, it will use your location to detect your timezone regardless of the toggle's settings.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well, if you have automatic time zone detection enabled on your device, it's most likely going to ignore the toggle anyways.
[doublepost=1493238809][/doublepost]
It's intentional then. If you have it set to automatically detect your timezone in Date & Time, it will use your location to detect your timezone regardless of the toggle's settings.
Sorry but you are just flat out wrong here. That logic makes zero since and Apple would not put a toggle just to be doing it. For the record, before night shift was available I always kept that toggle off in location settings because I didn't travel out of zone ever and didn't want the extra location running for no reason, BUT always have the automatic time set in the date/time settings and never did the location arrow randomly appear. This is clearly not the way its supposed to be.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Sorry but you are just flat out wrong here. That logic makes zero since and Apple would not put a toggle just to be doing it. For the record, before night shift was available I always kept that toggle off in location settings because I didn't travel out of zone ever and didn't want the extra location running for no reason, BUT always have the automatic time set in the date/time settings and never did the location arrow randomly appear. This is clearly not the way its supposed to be.

There are 2 ways to do automated time zone detection: once from your carrier (i.e. Mobile towers/WiFi access points), and another using your location. Both toggles use different sources. If the location time zone setting is disabled, it should disable completely the time zone detection using your location. It's either a bug, or Apple has somehow managed to fuse the carrier time zone and location time zone together.

JayBuchanan

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Is anyone having issue with Apple Notes syncing between iOS devices and or Mac? Since updating my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air Notes are not syncing. This happened about 6 mths ago and Apple Support couldn't help but the next update fixed the issue.

BTW...have done the normal restart (soft and hard), reset network settings and etc.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Is anyone having issue with Apple Notes syncing between iOS devices and or Mac? Since updating my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air Notes are not syncing. This happened about 6 mths ago and Apple Support couldn't help but the next update fixed the issue.

BTW...have done the normal restart (soft and hard), reset network settings and etc.

Are you by any chance using the On My Mac group?
Mine works just fine. I have Background App Refresh enabled for Notes.

Anperis

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2017
Does anyone got a problem with ios 10.3.1 on iphone 6? I see that the device is slowing down with battery %. I did geekbench 4 with less than 60% and its about 800 points for single and 1400 for multi core. Could anyone make a benchmark on this beta ? Is it better on ios 10.3.2 ? Remember to not have about 100% while doing bench

Reactions: Kalloud

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Does anyone got a problem with ios 10.3.1 on iphone 6? I see that the device is slowing down with battery %. I did geekbench 4 with less than 60% and its about 800 points for single and 1400 for multi core. Could anyone make a benchmark on this beta ? Is it better on ios 10.3.2 ? Remember to not have about 100% while doing bench
Do you notice a drop in performance when the battery percentage drops?

Anperis

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2017
Thanks, i will follow your thread. But im still waiting for someone to do the test on new beta

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.