Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bernardkost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
What needs to be done to get this feature working on pb2? Option is on in maps settings.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
you have to connect to your cars bluetooth. i also noticed that if you stop and drive slowly looking for a parking spot - its not that accurate

bernardkost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
you have to connect to your cars bluetooth. i also noticed that if you stop and drive slowly looking for a parking spot - its not that accurate
Bluetooth is on. Works just fine. For some reason the feature won't activate. Are there any other settings other than that in the maps that need to be enabled?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Bluetooth is on. Works just fine. For some reason the feature won't activate. Are there any other settings other than that in the maps that need to be enabled?

I don't think anyone is exactly sure how Apple determines that a bluetooth device is "your car". It may be by device name or device address. That would rely on Apple knowing that your particular device is a car device. I've submitted an enhancement request suggesting a method to allow a user to go into bluetooth settings and identify a bluetooth device as "My Car". That way it will work with any device including 3rd party dongles.

bernardkost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
I don't think anyone is exactly sure how Apple determines that a bluetooth device is "your car". It may be by device name or device address. That would rely on Apple knowing that your particular device is a car device. I've submitted an enhancement request suggesting a method to allow a user to go into bluetooth settings and identify a bluetooth device as "My Car". That way it will work with any device including 3rd party dongles.
Thank you. Curious to know how it works with others? Couldnt find many or any complaints on the topic. I tried deleting bluetooth profile in my car and on my phone (6s+) to no avail... Very frustrating...

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Mine worked on the first beta but since then it's stopped working on beta 2 and 3. Everything is turned on.

dany20mh

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Gaithersburg
I have same problem too, I was working before on iOS 9 (with map and traffic) and I was getting parked location (on beta1) in addition to the traffic map and then it stopped working all of the sudden and it haven't worked yet, but the thing is I wasn't using car bluetooth and it was a usb bluetooth connected to my car usb port and aux, and that usb bluetooth had some random name.

So I don't know what changed and how to turn it back.

Everything also for me is enabled and it doesn't want to work!!!

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014

Thank you for doing this. I use a third party Bluetooth device in my car and it would really enhance my Proactive experience if you could tell iOS which device is your vehicle. I encourage everyone else to make this a feature request as well!!!

Kelowna77

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
Totally need something like this considering my car is too old to have built-in Bluetooth LOL

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
Thank you for doing this. I use a third party Bluetooth device in my car and it would really enhance my Proactive experience if you could tell iOS which device is your vehicle. I encourage everyone else to make this a feature request as well!!!

Same here, I have a 2007 Yaris and changed the original radio for a 3rd-party bluetooth device... So far I have no idea how my iPhone can do to tell this is the bluetooth device of my car.

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Well mine worked with my car audio system in beta 1 but in beta 2 and 3 it hasn't. Today I've paired my phone to my friends car which has a 3rd party Bluetooth stereo and it worked so since beta 2 my car system which is named ford audio doesn't allow parked car to work

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
This has been my experience too, very strange.
Today, I drove an hour and a half away from home today and used Maps for navigation. I noticed that my car was listed on the map as "Parked Car" even though I didn't get a notification. So maybe they changed the implementation to no longer notify you; although it could just be a bug. Something to check for those of you who were experiencing what I was.

Reactions: darrencp22

sandman112

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
i haven't managed to get this to work yet in either public beta 1 or 2, tried all the settings mentioned in here still nothing on this one ... also noticed that the map navigation audio thru HFP (hands free profile) is no longer an option in apple maps options in the settings menus

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Bluetooth has little to nothing to do with the functionality. 'Maps' just checks if you stopped driving and tries to remember the location, that's it.

dany20mh

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Gaithersburg
Bluetooth has little to nothing to do with the functionality. 'Maps' just checks if you stopped driving and tries to remember the location, that's it.
You are wrong, bluetooth is the main thing in this, if you don't have any bluetooth connection, you can drive anywhere you want with the map, but it won't tell you where you park.
Bluetooth here is the trigger for the map to when it connect to it, know that you are with your car, and not getting ride with someone else or anything else, and then when it disconnect, get the gps info and save the location.
That's how this feature work.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
You are wrong, bluetooth is the main thing in this, if you don't have any bluetooth connection, you can drive anywhere you want with the map, but it won't tell you where you park.
Bluetooth here is the trigger for the map to when it connect to it, know that you are with your car, and not getting ride with someone else or anything else, and then when it disconnect, get the gps info and save the location.
That's how this feature work.

that's correct - it states this fact when you turn the feature on. it would be annoying to know where the buss is parked.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
I agree. There should be a way to mark third-party devices as "My car" so this feature will work in more cars. It works perfectly with my wife's car, which is newer and has a built-in system. However, with my car, which has a third-party bluetooth receiver hooked up to the AUX port, it doesn't work.

Incidentally, you can trigger it manually (if you want) when you get out of your car. Just tell Siri, "Remember where I parked my car."

dany20mh

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Gaithersburg
I agree. There should be a way to mark third-party devices as "My car" so this feature will work in more cars. It works perfectly with my wife's car, which is newer and has a built-in system. However, with my car, which has a third-party bluetooth receiver hooked up to the AUX port, it doesn't work.

Incidentally, you can trigger it manually (if you want) when you get out of your car. Just tell Siri, "Remember where I parked my car."
Well that's still in beta, cause back when I had the beta 1, it was working with third party bluetooth and was ok and after that beta 1 didn't work anymore.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Mine worked in beta 1 &2
but never in beta 3

edit: Fixed mine so others may want to try I deleted and repaired the car stereo. Now working. Still glitchy. First said my car was 50 ft then when I got in the car said it was 100 ft away.

Last edited:
Reactions: HopefulHumanist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.