Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Why can't people remember where they parked their car. FFS

In New York City, where there are alternate side parking rules (at home parking on the street), it is very common for people to forget where they parked their car. Sometime people haven't seen their car for days, as they don't drive it everyday.

NYPD officers find that a significant amount of stolen car calls, are simply people who forgot where they parked.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
Well amazingly mine started working today !

Maybe it was the beta 5 update yesterday that fixed it.

Went out, parked up, then looked at my phone and the parked car was in the 'upcoming destinations'.

Happy days.

Cindilu

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
I just installed the latest public beta (10.1) hoping it would fix the problem but I still am not getting parked car notifications.
[doublepost=1476974346][/doublepost]Just saw that beta 5 is available- I'm installing now and will test it out today. Hopefully I'll have the same experience!

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
I just installed the latest public beta (10.1) hoping it would fix the problem but I still am not getting parked car notifications.
[doublepost=1476974346][/doublepost]Just saw that beta 5 is available- I'm installing now and will test it out today. Hopefully I'll have the same experience!
Great, when you install beta 5 I would thank if you share your experience and the issue is addressed... Thanks

robjak

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
In New York City, where there are alternate side parking rules (at home parking on the street), it is very common for people to forget where they parked their car. Sometime people haven't seen their car for days, as they don't drive it everyday.

NYPD officers find that a significant amount of stolen car calls, are simply people who forgot where they parked.

Seems a lot of people are oblivious to there surroundings maybe it's because as soon as they get out of the car their heads are buried in their phones on Facebook or texting. Haha

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have found it works for me everywhere but when my car is at HOME which must be by design. Maps shows the car there but no notification. Notification seem to work everywhere else.

g.fowler

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
San Francisco, CA
thank you! I suppose for users without a bluetooth equipped car, it relies on movement analysis.
meaning, if you're moving at a certain rate of speed its assumed your driving, then if you stop or move at a walking pace long enough, it deduces you are walking, and so drops a pin at a more approximate location.
gee maybe i should upgrade to iOS 10 and try out this feature

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
thank you! I suppose for users without a bluetooth equipped car, it relies on movement analysis.
meaning, if you're moving at a certain rate of speed its assumed your driving, then if you stop or move at a walking pace long enough, it deduces you are walking, and so drops a pin at a more approximate location.
gee maybe i should upgrade to iOS 10 and try out this feature

Actually, it appears the people who do not have the right Bluetooth equipped cars aren't able to use this feature. You have to have Bluetooth in your vehicle, and it has to be the right type of Bluetooth Device/connection.

rookie8155

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
When I first installed IOS 10, it was working. It will show my car but now it stopped. Not sure what happened? I use Blueant S4 in my car along with Garmin Nuvi with bluetooth. I checked all settings but no luck.

g.fowler

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Actually, it appears the people who do not have the right Bluetooth equipped cars aren't able to use this feature. You have to have Bluetooth in your vehicle, and it has to be the right type of Bluetooth Device/connection.
Thank you.. I updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 10 yesterday. I don't have BT in my 2000 Honda CRV, but I got an alert from maps successfully marking my parked car location, so I would have to assume the technology is both BT and motion/movement detection and analysis.

g.fowler

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
San Francisco, CA
I don't think anyone is exactly sure how Apple determines that a bluetooth device is "your car". It may be by device name or device address. That would rely on Apple knowing that your particular device is a car device. I've submitted an enhancement request suggesting a method to allow a user to go into bluetooth settings and identify a bluetooth device as "My Car". That way it will work with any device including 3rd party dongles.
Can app devs access this Bluetooth system information? Can a 3rd party app also determine if car is started or stopped based on Vehicle to Phone pairings and un-pairings?

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
Thank you.. I updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 10 yesterday. I don't have BT in my 2000 Honda CRV, but I got an alert from maps successfully marking my parked car location, so I would have to assume the technology is both BT and motion/movement detection and analysis.

Really? It's not using Bluetooth at all!!!

Then why is mine not working!?!

graley

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Australia
Same here
[doublepost=1477799213][/doublepost]As per the previous post. It works for me just saying to Siri. For the first time parked. Say
"Siri. Save where i parked my car" . After that she answers correctly every time, as long as the satellite can see you. But maybe it is different south of the equaror.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
[doublepost=1477799213][/doublepost]As per the previous post. It works for me just saying to Siri. For the first time parked. Say
"Siri. Save where i parked my car" . After that she answers correctly every time, as long as the satellite can see you. But maybe it is different south of the equaror.

So are you asking her to do it every time? Or does she do it automatically after you have asked for the first time?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
If you aren't connected to the car how does Sir (or anything else) know you were in the car at all vs. the phone was at some location or in a different car? Just wondering? You could tell Siri to save where my car is parked but how does she know where the car is - just assuming where the phone is?

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
What needs to be done to get this feature working on pb2? Option is on in maps settings.

I wish I knew. I recently bought a car with bluetooth hands free. I cannot get parked car feature to work. I tried resetting all settings, re-pairing bluetooth, making sure all the settings everyone mentions are turned on (they are). I even deleted all frequent locations in case there was some "you're always here so know where you parked" logic. Nothing. I tried navigating with apple maps to a location while charging, while not charging. Not navigating while charging, while not charging. Nothing appears to work.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I think someone said in another thread that the Frequent Locations setting needs to be turned on under Settings-->Privacy-->Location Services-->System Services-->Frequent Locations

Probably was me a while back. Turning off some system location services messes with other parts of iOS that aren't obvious. Example: turning off "automatic time zone" removes the the sunset to sunrise option of night shift.

Reactions: I7guy

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I wish I knew. I recently bought a car with bluetooth hands free. I cannot get parked car feature to work. I tried resetting all settings, re-pairing bluetooth, making sure all the settings everyone mentions are turned on (they are). I even deleted all frequent locations in case there was some "you're always here so know where you parked" logic. Nothing. I tried navigating with apple maps to a location while charging, while not charging. Not navigating while charging, while not charging. Nothing appears to work.

I raised a bug with Apple and they replied. You need an iPhone 6 or later. It does actual say that on the support page now I've looked for it https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207227. I wonder why maps on my 5s has the "show parked location", the wording implies it should work - maybe that's a bug and shouldn't be shown on a 5s.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I can count on one hand how often it's worked for me: once!

Even though I've driven to other places (not frequent locations I hasten to add) it's never worked again.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Works for me but whenever I'm in car and "open" phone it wants to give me directions home. Maybe i might be OK if I were well away but I know how to get home when I'm a mile or 2 away from home What a pain. Happens also when plugged in as part of carplay - screen comes up to provide me directions home

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I raised a bug with Apple and they replied. You need an iPhone 6 or later. It does actual say that on the support page now I've looked for it https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207227. I wonder why maps on my 5s has the "show parked location", the wording implies it should work - maybe that's a bug and shouldn't be shown on a 5s.

Since this post I've upgraded to an iPhone SE. Parked Car works 99% of the time; the only times it fails is when I'm parking in a multi-storey but given there's no GPS I can see why.

On the 5s the only way was to say "Siri, remember where I parked."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.