Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Totally need something like this considering my car is too old to have built-in Bluetooth LOL
Automatic.com sells a very cool dongle that can do the same, assuming your car is less than 20 years old (1996).

Even if older, the Apple feature probably works with a Pioneer/Alpine/etc type Car Audio deck aftermarket upgrade.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
The location of my car worked for a while during the betas. I have not seen it lately though.
I think in my case, since I installed a hotspot in the car, the car location has stopped working. I do still connect to my car with bluetooth but maybe something is happening with the WiFi being there. It's rare (never) that I have lost my car but its interesting to have. The one time this would have been useful is Disney, the lots there are huge and if you forget to photo your parking spot you could be lost for a while.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
OK questions. I noticed that when I look at Maps after the first drive after the update it shows where car is parked. But where do you get widget to show in notifications.
By the way I didn't have frequent locations turned on.

So where / how do I get widget?
Thanks,

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
If you need to display Maps Destinations as a widget, swipe down from home screen and swipe right to widgets. Scroll down widgets to Edit, tap, and then select Maps Destinations.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have done the maps destinations but it doesn't show anything. On maps the car shows but not on the maps destination

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Worked once for me - now it doesn't show on map or widget screen. Parked in large parking lot - so I'd see what it told me. Didn't show it at all. Checked all setting and they seem OK. Well maybe someday

Shofar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
England
Set my 6s to work with my Parrot via BT in the car and had the map running to go into town. Did nothing.

Used the map today for directions and on arriving at the location the widget showed me how long it would take me to get home. Also showed different journey times according to the traffic whenever I fired up the phone. When leaving I hit the link in the widget and the Maps app opened to take me home - although it did not show Parked Car - just how to get home!

Once I arrived home and left the car, a few minutes later the widget showed Parked Car and the exact distance from my home in the widget and on the map, so it seems to have started working correctly after a return journey, not the initial one.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
Worked once for me - now it doesn't show on map or widget screen. Parked in large parking lot - so I'd see what it told me. Didn't show it at all. Checked all setting and they seem OK. Well maybe someday

Same here: it worked just once.

pilot3033

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Same here: it worked just once.

Do you see the car if you zoom in while using maps to where you know it is? I've noticed that the "destinations" widget (which is how you get directions back if you can't find the dot) doesn't seem to show up when I and my car at at home.

Fearz

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Anyone had any success after clean / fresh install of iOS 10?

I tried all suggestions here, it worked only once after beta 1 or 2, then stopped working conpletely, on latest beta now and still it doesnt work.

Im about to re-install the OS, but dont want to do it to waste, can anyone confirm if they tried reinstalling from scratch and the feature worked?

Thanks!

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
My car have no built in bluetooth so I am using an aux to bluetooth audio adapter, works just fine. Any chance I would be able to use the parked car feature? (Tried different settings, didn't work)

pilot3033

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
My car have no built in bluetooth so I am using an aux to bluetooth audio adapter, works just fine. Any chance I would be able to use the parked car feature? (Tried different settings, didn't work)
My gut says that it uses the same parameters and variables iOS 9 did to detect when to show you traffic conditions to/from various destinations. You either need CarPlay or to have your dongle use a common car bluetooth device name e.g. "HANDSFREE." Is there a way to change the name of the bluetooth device? I'd bet you that would work as you're "fooling" the phone into thinking you're in a car.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
Do you see the car if you zoom in while using maps to where you know it is? I've noticed that the "destinations" widget (which is how you get directions back if you can't find the dot) doesn't seem to show up when I and my car at at home.

Actually yes, it's marked on the map, but there are no notifications (even though they are enabled). I also don't see any links in the maps app or in the widget or in the Notification Center to the parked car. In the maps app, there is no pin, and the location is marked only by a tiny circle, which is impossible to see if you don't know where to look. The only way I can find it is by asking Siri.

Last edited:

wildcat1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
All, can anyone confirm or deny that you MUST have frequent locations turned on in privacy for this to work ? I have heard it both ways, some saying was fixed when they turned it on, others stating they used it without it. I have mine off but have never been able to see the parked location after disconnecting from BT in the car. Thanks

Final33

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
Anyone had any success after clean / fresh install of iOS 10?

I tried all suggestions here, it worked only once after beta 1 or 2, then stopped working conpletely, on latest beta now and still it doesnt work.

Im about to re-install the OS, but dont want to do it to waste, can anyone confirm if they tried reinstalling from scratch and the feature worked?

Thanks!

I did a complete reinstall. Nothing happend. I gave up.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Seems to be working for me, and here's how the Maps Destinations widget appears. Show More on the widget needs to be toggled to reveal Parked Car.

IMG_3428.jpg

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Seems to be working for me, and here's how the Maps Destinations widget appears. Show More on the widget needs to be toggled to reveal Parked Car.

View attachment 662115

I can see parked car on the map, but not the widget. I dont have the show more/less option, weird.

Do we know yet if frequent locations needs to be on for it to work?

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
These are my settings:
  • Bluetooth On and connected to car
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations = On
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Maps = While Using
  • Settings > Maps > Show Parking Location = On
  • Map Destination Widget ON

Cindilu

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
I have same problem too, I was working before on iOS 9 (with map and traffic) and I was getting parked location (on beta1) in addition to the traffic map and then it stopped working all of the sudden and it haven't worked yet, but the thing is I wasn't using car bluetooth and it was a usb bluetooth connected to my car usb port and aux, and that usb bluetooth had some random name.

So I don't know what changed and how to turn it back.

Everything also for me is enabled and it doesn't want to work!!!
[doublepost=1476555909][/doublepost]This has been my exact experience. All good before on ios9 and all betas, not working on iPhone7 with new jeep cherokee with Uconnect. Bluetooth on, paired with car, frequent locations on, maps opened and used for routing, etc... Hope Apple can do something to get this fixed. Any further advice is welcome.

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
I've the same issue

I've tried everything, deleted settings, unpair with the car, pair again, but nothing...

I've never seen the parked car neither in the widget either in maps.

I've the same settings that everyone: location on, showed parked car on, frequently locations on. Nothing works!

I'm a 5s owner and my car is a Seat Leon (VW group). My girlfriend has the same car, and the new iPhone SE, and she hasn't the issue. She always receive the notification.

Anybody can confirm if this issue has been addressed with the last 10.1 betas?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.