Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
I agree. There should be a way to mark third-party devices as "My car" so this feature will work in more cars. It works perfectly with my wife's car, which is newer and has a built-in system. However, with my car, which has a third-party bluetooth receiver hooked up to the AUX port, it doesn't work.

Incidentally, you can trigger it manually (if you want) when you get out of your car. Just tell Siri, "Remember where I parked my car."

This is a great tip about Siri! Thanks for including this information!

Some questions:
This is confirmed to work?
Can you do it via Apple Watch?
Can it be triggered manually without Siri?

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
You are wrong, bluetooth is the main thing in this, if you don't have any bluetooth connection, you can drive anywhere you want with the map, but it won't tell you where you park.
Bluetooth here is the trigger for the map to when it connect to it, know that you are with your car, and not getting ride with someone else or anything else, and then when it disconnect, get the gps info and save the location.
That's how this feature work.

You can have a car/radio without BT and it still would know where you have parked. It's all done through GPS and driving/walking recognition. Sure, maybe BT is assisting with it, but it's just not true that it's done solely via BT.

Last edited:

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
You can have a car/radio without BT and it still would know where you have parked. It's all done through GPS and driving/walking recognition. Sure, maybe BT is assisting with it, but it's just not true that it's done solely via BT.
I think you're conflating two different things. The Bluetooth receiver in your car is used by the iPhone to identify that it is your car. The GPS receiver in your iPhone is used to mark the location of your car in Maps. Of course your phone isn't using Bluetooth to mark your location; it only works within 10 meters or so of your iPhone. No one made that claim so I don't know why you're bothering to dispute it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
So you are saying you have a car without any BT and Maps is automatically marking your car's parked location with the Parked Car symbol in Maps each time you get out of it?

IMG_1165_zpsgumyzycj.jpg

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I think you're conflating two different things. The Bluetooth receiver in your car is used by the iPhone to identify that it is your car. The GPS receiver in your iPhone is used to mark the location of your car in Maps. Of course your phone isn't using Bluetooth to mark your location; it only works within 10 meters or so of your iPhone. No one made that claim so I don't know why you're bothering to dispute it.
I'm not conflating anything ;-) As I said, most of it is done via GPS (driving/walking recognition); maybe BT can assist it and identify you're in a car (or after several times driving with it, it will assume it's your own car).

Last edited:

dany20mh

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Gaithersburg
I'm not conflating anything ;-) As I said, most of it is done via GPS (driving/walking recognition); maybe BT can assist it and identify you're in a car (or after several times driving with it, it will assume it's your own car).

You didn't get the point yet, we are know that GPS is the one mark your location, but if you don't have bluetooth connection to your phone and your car, map won't mark that location as your Parked Car.

You can drive any car, use uber/lyft or whatever, you don't use bluetooth in them (except if it's your car) and that's why you don't need to know where you get off from them.

The whole point of the Bluetooth is trigger this for map and that's it, hope you finally get it.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I'm pretty convinced at this point that verpeller is trolling us. I just have a hard time accepting that someone can misunderstand something this simple when it's been explained this many times.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I'm not trolling. Google now does it for years without Bluetooth. If Apple does it a different way then I honestly apologize for spreading false assumptions.

I just used the feature for like 3 days; but I don't need to know where my car is parked at work, so I disabled it. But I don't use Bluetooth often and iirc it showed the location anyway.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
So far mine seems to mark every time but like most I haven't gotten a notification since B1. Just for kicks here is where it marked my car today and the red star is actually were it was parked.

IMG_1196_zpsjhm4duqu.jpg

dany20mh

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Gaithersburg
I'm not trolling. Google now does it for years without Bluetooth. If Apple does it a different way then I honestly apologize for spreading false assumptions.

I just used the feature for like 3 days; but I don't need to know where my car is parked at work, so I disabled it. But I don't use Bluetooth often and iirc it showed the location anyway.

I know Google Now do some location service too, but the problem with Google Now is that it do constant location lookup and that drain your battery, the point of using the Bluetooth is to reduce that constant reading, so you telling your device with bluetooth, hey I'm driving my car now and when you disconnect from it, saying hey save this location.
That save lots of battery for you because you not constantly checking your location to see if you are moving or not and ...
[doublepost=1469727983][/doublepost]
So far mine seems to mark every time but like most I haven't gotten a notification since B1. Just for kicks here is where it marked my car today and the red star is actually were it was parked.

IMG_1196_zpsjhm4duqu.jpg

The location is always off a little bit, it might for it's a new feature and they working on it or it can be for bluetooth range and walking away from the car.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
I know Google Now do some location service too, but the problem with Google Now is that it do constant location lookup and that drain your battery, the point of using the Bluetooth is to reduce that constant reading, so you telling your device with bluetooth, hey I'm driving my car now and when you disconnect from it, saying hey save this location.
That save lots of battery for you because you not constantly checking your location to see if you are moving or not and ...
[doublepost=1469727983][/doublepost]

The location is always off a little bit, it might for it's a new feature and they working on it or it can be for bluetooth range and walking away from the car.
Actually the M9 (M8, etc.) are constantly monitoring motion. So in theory it should not drain any extra battery.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
We not talking about motion and fitness here, we are talking about location tracking.

I think you're incorrect in this statement. It only has to pull location when it senses car motion has stopped. Which its doing anyway. It doesn't have to track location the whole time.

That said, I'm not saying it doesn't use Bluetooth.

dany20mh

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Gaithersburg
I think you're incorrect in this statement. It only has to pull location when it senses car motion has stopped. Which its doing anyway. It doesn't have to track location the whole time.

That said, I'm not saying it doesn't use Bluetooth.
What I said was the answer to that person for Google Now that track your location all the time and give you update based on that, but what you said about M9 or even M8, those use for motion detection while you doing fitness activities (such as step and anything else) and that's not part of the discussion here.

tik0

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2016
Hey guys, i'm on public beta 2 and i wanted to share with you how i managed to make this feature work.

First of all, i saw that in reminders there's an option that says "Remember when i get inside the car" and the same with outside. I drove the car around the block, got outside and then set up a reminder when i get inside car that didn't work. So i enabled Frequent locations and tried again, no luck.

Then i drove around the block, again, and using my aftermarket bluetooth radio i made a call to voicemail, then hang up. To my surprise this did the trick. I left the car and then i saw on widgets that the feature was working!

In reminders the "alert me when i get in the car" also started working, so i guess iOS recognized the car because of the call i made using the stereo. Hope this helps

Kelowna77

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
I agree. There should be a way to mark third-party devices as "My car" so this feature will work in more cars. It works perfectly with my wife's car, which is newer and has a built-in system. However, with my car, which has a third-party bluetooth receiver hooked up to the AUX port, it doesn't work.

Incidentally, you can trigger it manually (if you want) when you get out of your car. Just tell Siri, "Remember where I parked my car."
Thank you for telling me how to manually trigger this. Works like a charm considering my car is too old to have a built in Bluetooth and it doesn't seem to like third-party LOL

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Settings > Maps > Show Parked Location.
Your parked car will be shown on the map if your location can be determined when parking. A connection to your car's Bluetooth or CarPlay stereo is required.

Final33

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
- iPhone connect to my car with bluetooth
- Frequent Locations is ON
- Settings > Maps > Show Parked Location is ON
- Map Destination Widget ON

iOS Version 10.0.1 (14A403)
iPhone 5

but the Parked Car Location is not working...
Is this a iPhone 5 problem?

dany20mh

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Gaithersburg
- iPhone connect to my car with bluetooth
- Frequent Locations is ON
- Settings > Maps > Show Parked Location is ON
- Map Destination Widget ON

iOS Version 10.0.1 (14A403)
iPhone 5

but the Parked Car Location is not working...
Is this a iPhone 5 problem?

The first 3 thing is necessary, but just to making sure, when you connect to your car bluetooth, make some few phone call, so your phone recognize that.

After a while it should work.

Final33

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
but I'm not sure if making phone calls is the solution...
maybe it got something to do with the A6-Chip in the iPhone 5...we will see...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.