Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jianrong

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
A new app that could download files but all downloaded files will not get out of that app.

jianrong

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
Want to be able to set default notification tone. So all app notify using that selected tone.

It's annoying having different notification sound. Would like 1 that overwrite all app notification sound.

seb.wagner

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Allow developers to update their icons on the springboard!

I use Fantastical 2 and want to have the current date displayed like with Apple's calendar app (I know the workaround of using the red notification-bubbles, but it's just a workaround, after all). A change of Apple's policy would allow all kinds of cool stuff like the WeatherPro app displaying the current temperature instead of a generic icon, activity apps displaying percentages of daily goals etc. Make it user customizable like the notification system already is and perhaps only allow the lower two thirds of an icon to update, so that the top remains identifiable no matter what? I'm quite certain Apple could figure out a proper way to implement that if only they wanted to …

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I expect the same kind of minor improvements as with prior iOS updates.

What I wish for is a better, slick new design. These grey iOS 10 balloons everywhere are plain ugly. The iOS 7 design language has never gotten much better.

Reactions: Feyl

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
A decent way to manage files.
Not necessarily a fully accessible file system, but something better than the per-app interface to send a file to another app, which sucks big time.

That alone would be a huge step in making iOS device closer to computers. Nowadays, iPad pros are marketed as computer replacements. It would be about time that their OS lives up to the marketing claim.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Same stuff I've wanted for the past 3 years.

- Customizable Control Center with 3D Touch toggles.
- Dark Mode
- Better Copy/Select menus
- Bring back the ability to open control Center to today view automatically.
- Get rid of the iCloud app and make a decent file management app with drag and drop iPad support
- Active icons
- Place Icons where ever
- Contact Group management
- Voicemail Folders and custom greetings per group or contact... they could even sale greetings in the App Store
- Dictation support on 3erd party keyboards
- Offline Maps
- Street View maps
- Consistent UI
- Photos People Syncing, ability to set album key photo from phone, arrange album options.
- Private Password / Touch ID protected photo album
- Better Camera app
- Transit support in my city.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Better desktop, less icons. Give us live tiles or widgets on desktop. Make it more alive. At least for the iPad. It will be to much on the iPhone screen I think.

We keep getting higher dpi screens but we have a small grid of dead icons. :(

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
iOS 10 was the redesign, next won't be until iOS 12/13.
They come in waves of 3:
iOS 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10 ->.

Was iOS 3 -> 4 really a major redesign? In addition, I don't think iOS 10 was THAT different from iOS 9. Yes, some design changes, but every iOS version change has seem some design changes in a different facet.

I would say iOS 6 -> iOS 7 was the most major redesign of iOS we've seen thus far.

Apple isn't required to stick to a certain design language for any certain period of time, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an overhaul of iOS for the iPhone's 10th anniversary next year, with the heavily redesigned iPhone too.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Was iOS 3 -> 4 really a major redesign? In addition, I don't think iOS 10 was THAT different from iOS 9. Yes, some design changes, but every iOS version change has seem some design changes in a different facet.

I would say iOS 6 -> iOS 7 was the most major redesign of iOS we've seen thus far.

Apple isn't required to stick to a certain design language for any certain period of time, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an overhaul of iOS for the iPhone's 10th anniversary next year, with the heavily redesigned iPhone too.
It's kind of more like there's a smaller redesign after 3 versions and a larger one after 3 more and then the "pattern" potentially repeats. That said, it's not that much of a pattern yet as we only have just a few points to observe, nor would it be all that unusual for things to change even if there is some patten in play.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Bring back Forstall's skeuomorphic design. No like flat. Even Microsoft deemphasized Metro.

If only. There would also be no lag on a brand new iPhone if Forstall was brought back, and almost none of the bugs we're currently experiencing. It would be silky smooth just like it was on iOS 6 (until he unfortunately got the boot).
[doublepost=1476664423][/doublepost]
Thats not a feature. Its ugly and obsolete and will never ever get back in iOS.

Yes, because I distinctively remember everyone saying how ugly their iPhones were from the original iPhone up until the iPhone 5.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
A clock on the home screen that people with bad eyes can actually read, same with calendar.
The iOS10 swipe to left time/date above widgets is a great example. if I could select to show that on my home screen, that would really help me.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Yes, because I distinctively remember everyone saying how ugly their iPhones were from the original iPhone up until the iPhone 5.

You know what obsolete means? Clearly you don't understand the concept of evolution or development.
Because something was beautiful doesn't mean it stays beautiful.

Reactions: zync

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Bring back Forstall's skeuomorphic design. No like flat. Even Microsoft deemphasized Metro.
Non-flat design and skeuomorphic design are two completely different things.

That being said, I'd like more 3D to the GUI. Skeuomorphic design, hell no.

Same stuff I've wanted for the past 3 years.

- Contact Group management
- Offline Maps
- Consistent UI
- Photos People Syncing, ability to set album key photo from phone, arrange album options.
- Transit support in my city.
Yes please.

And my own requests:
• Smart folder syncing in iCloud Photo Library.
• Better Maps, as in more small details. In my area there are no bicycle trails for instance.
• Better Siri.
• No time wasted on making a bazillion more emojis or other flashy gimmicks no one but 10 year olds will use.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.