Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Hopefully we get something the first day of WWDC, as usual.

Also: Hello, everyone! Hope you’re all well leading up to this familiar yet unprecedented time.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2019
It is really exciting for me to know that this the third message of this thread which will be seen by most of the members in this forum.

I want to say hi to the people below, hoping that they will see this message someday:

Heidi - Anuk Steffen (Heidi) and Isabelle Ottmann (Klara)

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory - Julia Winter (Veruca Salt)

Gretel and Hansel - Sophia Lillis (Gretel)

Alice in Wonderland - Mia Wasikowska (Alice)

The Fox and The Child - Bertille Nöel-Bruneau (The Child)

Reactions: yeahtyeaht

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Wasn’t there a report that Apple would be following a “tick tock” system of refinements then features every other year?

That could suggest iOS 14 is more about polishing what is there, rather than adding new features.

It could be that the first-party apps get updated (like Messages, Mail and so on) but the actual OS sees fewer new features and APIs. There hasn’t been a lot of rumours other than the 9to5Mac stuff.

Maybe the rumoured home screen widgets will be a UI change though. I also hope the iPadOS UI is refined even more to make it consistent when using a trackpad, for right clicks and menu styles. Little things like customising the lock screen buttons on the bottom would be nice too.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Looking forward to Maps enhancements and expansion to countries outside of the US. Started a Maps specific iOS14 thread if anyone is interested.

Gonna speculate that we see the UK, Germany, Australia, Japan and Canada before the year is out!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Mails app, one of the greatest dumpster fire in iOS 13, hopefully will receive some major updates and get issues fixed. I personally don’t have too many problems but finger crossed as I use mails app daily.

Home screen layout update is also welcome, since nothing is curved on the stone, and the time for a change has come.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Gonna speculate that we see the UK, Germany, Australia, Japan and Canada before the year is out!

What about France?
[automerge]1590324102[/automerge]
Wasn’t there a report that Apple would be following a “tick tock” system of refinements then features every other year?

That could suggest iOS 14 is more about polishing what is there, rather than adding new features.

It could be that the first-party apps get updated (like Messages, Mail and so on) but the actual OS sees fewer new features and APIs. There hasn’t been a lot of rumours other than the 9to5Mac stuff.

Maybe the rumoured home screen widgets will be a UI change though. I also hope the iPadOS UI is refined even more to make it consistent when using a trackpad, for right clicks and menu styles. Little things like customising the lock screen buttons on the bottom would be nice too.

I seem to remember reading when iOS 13 was launched that some “bigger” features were left for iOS 14, so let’s hope that iOS 14 is more than just a big iOS 13 service pack. 😋

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
There will be more than this as updates in iOS 14 but...

I will be totally fine and happy if there are only 2 updates in iOS 14.

1) Following the Tic-Tock model-STABILITY AND QUALITY. iOS 13 is without a doubt the worst iOS ever. Full Stop. It's been a dumpster fire, from Beta 1 on WWDC day. It's never been much better. Fix it!
2) Default App Choice

That's really all I need.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
OK, one person’s opinion here, but this is why I don’t like having these speculation threads before the beta is out: the speculation threads were originally designed to deal with speculation regarding timing of beta and major releases. This thread is speculating about features. In my mind, this confuses matters.

/rant

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
OK, one person’s opinion here, but this is why I don’t like having these speculation threads before the beta is out: the speculation threads were originally designed to deal with speculation regarding timing of beta and major releases. This thread is speculating about features. In my mind, this confuses matters.

/rant

Agree...and with that being said, I speculate the first beta will be available June 22.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
AFAIK A13 processor is no longer supported by iTunes 12.6.5.3. I wonder if iOS 14 will remove iTunes support or continue, or the support is for A chip generations.

Reactions: Kimjongjohan

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Speculation: I would not be surprised if Apple would announce renaming of iOS back to iPhone OS.
It would be much more consistent, now that they have Watch OS, tvOS and since last year iPadOS. :cool:

Only if it truly becomes a separate downloadable program...but maybe.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I hope they have worked hard to deliver a less annoying and more satisfying experiece from the get go with iOS 14. People (at least the MR people) have had a tough time with iOS 13 particularly with Mail. ;)

The first thing I would like to see in iOS 14 is a notification banner for phone calls if some other app is active on the screen. Beyond that, I would appreciate some UI and UX refresh/ reimagining in a way that makes for a better experience. Oh, and speed and responsiveness.

Reactions: Uric and gank41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.