Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
And it syncs fine with Music and TV on the old Mac OS (Catalina I guess?) without requiring that you also have Big Sur?
So far so good in that regard! Only issue I had is that out of all my photo albums, one disappeared from my photo library on all devices. (The pictures themselves are in the library, but the full album they were in isn’t. And it was only ONE album. The rest are still there ?

Reactions: illitrate23

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Correct this is the Customer beta (same as developer beta) thru Appleseed.apple.com. I was invited to all the betas and installed them. HomePod beta was very simple and had no issues, came in at 1.92gb. tvOS requires no profile, it’s linked to your AppleID if you turn on Beta updates on TV.
Is this something that's been done in previous years or is it new to this year? I've done public betas ever since iOS 11, but that's it. Getting those email invites was definitely a "wait...what?!?" moment for sure! I was fully expecting to wait until July for betas ? I did end up caving and putting the beta on my phone, so that makes my phone, iPad, and TV on beta. Can't do macOS as mentioned because I use my MacBook for work. I'm debating whether or not to do the HomePod one. As for watchOS...I got the invite a few hours after receiving the emails for the rest. I'm extremely hesitant on that one. Apple has not opened either of the Apple stores in my area yet, so I don't want to risk having something go wrong with my watch and not having an Apple store open to have it fixed at! (Assuming that's what has to be done. I think I recall hearing that).

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
There seems to be a "by invitation only" thing going on. I got an email today and after following the steps in it and installing the beta profile, I was able to install "iPadOS 14 Public Beta 1". (Yes...it is referred to as PUBLIC, which I found interesting). Also installed tvOS 14. Despite also receiving the invitation for macOS and iOS, I have not downloaded the betas on those. I use my Mac for work, so I can't risk a beta on it. As for iOS, I'm going to wait a bit (as I usually do). iOS I usually wait a few betas before I jump on.

iPadOS is surprisingly smooth so far (although I did have one instance where I was kicked back to my lock screen while changing a wallpaper. But for being a Beta 1...I'm impressed so far). tvOS is a little "sticky" (don't really know how else to describe it) when scrolling quickly.

Very interestingly though, I was also sent an invitation for HomePodOS betas. Haven't downloaded that one yet though.
What's weird is my 11PM also said PB, but my SE2020 just said 14.0 with no mention of Beta.

Reactions: iOS Geek

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
July, like every year.

June = Keynote and Developer Beta
July = Public Beta
September = Final Release & new iPhone
[automerge]1592950071[/automerge]
Is there a way to get invited?

You can fetch the Public Beta Profile from Apple's Website once the Public Beta is out. No need to pay for a registered developer account.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Is this something that's been done in previous years or is it new to this year? I've done public betas ever since iOS 11, but that's it. Getting those email invites was definitely a "wait...what?!?" moment for sure! I was fully expecting to wait until July for betas ? I did end up caving and putting the beta on my phone, so that makes my phone, iPad, and TV on beta. Can't do macOS as mentioned because I use my MacBook for work. I'm debating whether or not to do the HomePod one. As for watchOS...I got the invite a few hours after receiving the emails for the rest. I'm extremely hesitant on that one. Apple has not opened either of the Apple stores in my area yet, so I don't want to risk having something go wrong with my watch and not having an Apple store open to have it fixed at! (Assuming that's what has to be done. I think I recall hearing that).
It's an invite program. I was invited several years ago also. But was a developer the last few years but cancelled this past year and was now invited again. So don't really know how it works...
I installed the beta on my Mac, watch, phone, iPad, Apple TV & HomePod. Having zero issues with anything. Actually the watch is best experience so far, battery life has exceeded my expectations. Phone battery life is about the same. But everything I use works...

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
It's an invite program. I was invited several years ago also. But was a developer the last few years but cancelled this past year and was now invited again. So don't really know how it works...
I installed the beta on my Mac, watch, phone, iPad, Apple TV & HomePod. Having zero issues with anything. Actually the watch is best experience so far, battery life has exceeded my expectations. Phone battery life is about the same. But everything I use works...
Interesting. Well, I can’t complain, that’s for sure! It was a nice surprise!

Did you give the sleep tracking a try yesterday? If so, how’d that go? I’m looking forward to that one!

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Interesting. Well, I can’t complain, that’s for sure! It was a nice surprise!

Did you give the sleep tracking a try yesterday? If so, how’d that go? I’m looking forward to that one!
Not yet, I plan on it tonight. Since 6am to now at 8pm, I still have 60% battery remaining on watch. Normally it would be down under 50%. This is Series 4 also...

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Not yet, I plan on it tonight. Since 6am to now at 8pm, I still have 60% battery remaining on watch. Normally it would be down under 50%. This is Series 4 also...
Cool, you’ll have to let me know how that goes!

And that’s actually pretty impressive! I’d put that under “significant” difference for sure! Hopefully that continues!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Yea I'd say 7/6 at the earliest, and no later than 7/14, but likely 7/6 - 7/8.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
Since WWDC was 3 weeks later than usual this year, and therefore shortening the beta period, is there any chance Apple would expedite the release of beta 2?

There could be the possibility we may see one this week. I wouldn’t put it past Apple to already have Beta 2 ready to go.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Since WWDC was 3 weeks later than usual this year, and therefore shortening the beta period, is there any chance Apple would expedite the release of beta 2?

I’ve always assumed the two weeks after the first beta was largely due to many developers busy with WWDC activities and not really having any time to spend actually working on their apps the first week after the beta became available.

Given the virtual nature of the conference that might change this year, but I doubt it. I would love to be wrong though.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
They usually have 2 weeks schedules for the first 4-5 betas going. No idea why everyone is all hopeful in terms of weekly releases right away.

Reactions: pizzzle

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The assumption there being that releases this year would come out in a similar timeframe as in previous years.

Reactions: gwhizkids

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Beta 1 has been surprisingly good. I'm finding bugs, sure, but they're not major ones and I'm currently much happier with the iOS 14 beta bugs than I was with my iOS 13 tough-luck-these-are-forever bugs. So I doubt there's a rush for beta 2. In fact, I'm concerned things will get worse before they get better :)

Sunsster1988

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2019
They will change how they test out the beta and use flags and select the working feature and disable the non working feature. They will release the new beta as a daily builds. Read this website

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
They will change how they test out the beta and use flags and select the working feature and disable the non working feature. They will release the new beta as a daily builds. Read this website

I think the daily builds may refer to internal beta testing. I would not expect a change in how they release outside of Apple.
[automerge]1593437961[/automerge]
You are assuming that iOS 14 is scheduled for release in September. However, given the virus, the latest intel is targeting an October release date. If that were the case, the beta cadence could well resemble what we've seen in years past.

Or it might not!

Reactions: vtboyarc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.