Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smallsteps

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2022
PDX, OR
Looks like it has fixed the gapless playback bug, having been using it for a while tonight.
Planning on updating later tonight.

Can anyone briefly describe where I can find this option/details in settings? I’m on 15.4.1 and cannot find anything related on any settings menu.. also a very new Apple Music subscriber, just switched from Spotify this past weekend

Thanks

dougmckown

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
I've updated my iPhone 12 to iOS 15.5 and still have the problem. However, the problem is not really lack of gapless playback (i.e., there is no one or two second gap between songs), but a noticeable mismatch between the end of one song and the beginning of the next. It sounds like there is a half second missing. However, when I disable lossless, the song transitions sound perfect. Unfortunately, I've downloaded dozens of live albums (mostly Grateful Dead) in lossless form, so now I have to delete them all and re-download them. Anybody else have a similar outcome?

andrewd3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Ultimately I discovered a few residual issues with gapless playback remained after upgrading to 15.5, so I resorted to performing a complete restore of my iPhone, and I can report that to the best of my knowledge this has finally eliminated ALL problems relating to gapless playback.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Ultimately I discovered a few residual issues with gapless playback remained after upgrading to 15.5, so I resorted to performing a complete restore of my iPhone, and I can report that to the best of my knowledge this has finally eliminated ALL problems relating to gapless playback.
Interesting - I am yet to hear an unwanted gap, having used it quite a lot since the upgrade. I don't have any lossless music, everything is aac and some mp3.

snail22

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Does anyone have unreliable gapless playback on their Mac as well? I have both ripped CDs and albums purchased on iTunes. Sometimes it transitions gaplessly and sometimes it doesn't. These are actual files on my computer, so nothing to do with Apple Music or iCloud. Basically the only way I can get gapless playback 100% of the time is to play directly from the CD.

andrewd3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone have unreliable gapless playback on their Mac as well? I have both ripped CDs and albums purchased on iTunes. Sometimes it transitions gaplessly and sometimes it doesn't. These are actual files on my computer, so nothing to do with Apple Music or iCloud. Basically the only way I can get gapless playback 100% of the time is to play directly from the CD.
Not had any issues with gaps between tracks during playback on the Mac. My problem had been lossless tracks in my Apple Music library which had gaps introduced after being synced to my iPhone with ‘convert higher bitrate tracks to 256kpbs AAC‘ checked in sync settings (now fixed with iOS 15.5 and the restore performed on my iPhone).

jpmohr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Not had any issues with gaps between tracks during playback on the Mac. My problem had been lossless tracks in my Apple Music library which had gaps introduced after being synced to my iPhone with ‘convert higher bitrate tracks to 256kpbs AAC‘ checked in sync settings (now fixed with iOS 15.5 and the restore performed on my iPhone).
I've been watching this thread for awhile... I rip all CDs to Apple Lossless and then "convert higher bitrate tracks to 256kps". I've updated my iPhone 7 (which I use as an "iPod") to iOS 15.5 and did an erase/restore, but it still does the gap. It's most noticeable on live albums. Very frustrating. My only option is to *not* check the "convert higher bitrate" option (and use the the larger ALAC format) or begin converting my library to 256 kbps to avoid this non-sense. I have had the same issue on my iPhone 13, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of a restore, so I'm leaving it for now. Anyone else still having issues with "convert higher bitrate" adding gaps?

Tazar53

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022
Anyone else noticed new problems with 'gapless' playback of tracks in Apple Music, apparently introduced with the iOS 15.4 update? I have music files synced to my iPhone (256 AAC) and iPad (Apple Lossless), and now when I play these using my AirPods Pro, I get an approximately one second gap of silence between tracks, which is very annoying if you're listening to live albums or others where one track is supposed to seamlessly blend into the next.

Bizarrely, this problem occurs if I start a track playing from the beginning, but if I jump to the middle of a track, it then DOES transition to the next track gaplessly as it should. So why would the transition to the next track be gapless if starting from the middle of a track, but not when starting from the beginning of the preceding track?

I have reported this issue via the official Apple Music feedback channel, but I would be interested to know whether others are replicating this problem after upgrading to iOS 15.4?
I think this is related to Dolby Atmos. I've tested The Beatles Abbey Road album with and without Dolby Atmos turned on and there is a gap with it on and no gap with it turned off. I also noticed that the Music App Dolby Atmos settings can affect this:
If you set it to Automatic, only Dolby Atmos albums will insert a gap.
If you turn it off, all albums should play gapless.
If you set it to Always on, ALL albums will insert a gap!!!

jpmohr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
I think this is related to Dolby Atmos. I've tested The Beatles Abbey Road album with and without Dolby Atmos turned on and there is a gap with it on and no gap with it turned off.

I don't see that setting on my iPhone 7 or 13 Pro, but maybe that's because I don't subscribe to Apple Music. (Settings > Music ?). Am I missing something?

I had originally thought that maybe it was related to the Sound Check option being On (under Settings > Music). I can't confirm or deny that at the moment though.

Very frustrating. If it's not fixed in a iOS 15.x update, then I'm concerned my iPhone 7 will be stuck with the issue forever (as it won't get iOS 16), which won't make me very happy.

Tazar53

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022
I don't see that setting on my iPhone 7 or 13 Pro, but maybe that's because I don't subscribe to Apple Music. (Settings > Music ?). Am I missing something?

I had originally thought that maybe it was related to the Sound Check option being On (under Settings > Music). I can't confirm or deny that at the moment though.

Very frustrating. If it's not fixed in a iOS 15.x update, then I'm concerned my iPhone 7 will be stuck with the issue forever (as it won't get iOS 16), which won't make me very happy.
Yes, the setting is in the Apple Music App only. I’m not sure if it applies only to Apple Music subscriptions or anything played in the Apple Music app. But, the setting will not apply to other music apps.

JohnnyCV

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
Yes, the setting is in the Apple Music App only. I’m not sure if it applies only to Apple Music subscriptions or anything played in the Apple Music app. But, the setting will not apply to other music apps.
I switched from Spotify to Apple Music in anticipation of the classical music app. I’m mostly streaming. I was highly annoyed at the gaps between tracks while listening to “side 2” of Abbey Road. Thanks for the tip above. I switched Atmos from Automatic to Off, and the album plays as it should.

Rod65

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
I don't have the Problem with IOS 16.2. perhaps it is because I only hear music that is stored local on my Iphone 14 Pro, I do not stream.

Jayseph

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2022
Absolutely infuriating. I noticed it again last night when listening to music stored on my iPad - it is not just affecting the streaming crowd.

Kaz134

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2022
Absolutely infuriating. I noticed it again last night when listening to music stored on my iPad - it is not just affecting the streaming crowd.
Me too. I don’t have an Apple Music subscription. Just use the app to play ripped CDs and a few downloads through the app. Very annoying.

Reactions: andrewd3

crookadile

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2013
Rotherham South Yorkshire UK
I don't have the Problem with IOS 16.2. perhaps it is because I only hear music that is stored local on my Iphone 14 Pro, I do not stream.
I have the problem and don’t have Apple Music. All my music is what I ripped from cd’s. I play quite a few live albums and 16.2 has spoiled my enjoyment. Thinking of going back to 16.1 until it’s fixed.

Jayseph

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2022
I have the problem and don’t have Apple Music. All my music is what I ripped from cd’s. I play quite a few live albums and 16.2 has spoiled my enjoyment. Thinking of going back to 16.1 until it’s fixed.
Not a bad idea. How exactly do you do that?

Jayseph

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2022
Never mind. I figured it out. Hopefully this is fixed in the next update, but not holding my breath.

andrewd3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Hi, yes, same for me with iOS/iPadOS 16.2 - the gaps are back again. I can only echo the sentiments that others have already shared. Apple, why oh why oh why do you keep fixing this extremely irritating issue only to break it again?!?!?

Reactions: Jayseph

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
If it's not affecting the subscription service, you'd better get used to gaps in your music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.