Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouisPiper

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2021
Today I am spending my battery on Balatro. I imagine it will be about 70+% of my usage.
This game absolutely destroys my 15 PM battery and idk why. Shouldn’t be that hard on resources. I think it’s a bit unoptimized. Battery usage only shows it on screen for a minute (when it has been far, far longer than that) but like 20% usage.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
This game absolutely destroys my 15 PM battery and idk why. Shouldn’t be that hard on resources. I think it’s a bit unoptimized. Battery usage only shows it on screen for a minute (when it has been far, far longer than that) but like 20% usage.
Hmmm. I got 7 hrs SoT on a 16PM with Balatro being 65% on day 1 and still 29% left in the tank at EOD. Not too bad.

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
With my 15PM I started with 95% charge now 4 1/2 hrs later I am down to 56% battery life.
SOT 4 1/2 hrs so far today.

Hope this gets much better with the next versions of iOS 18!

This is ridiculous low battery life for a freaking 15 PM.

How’s yours @James6s ?

Reactions: rob2bob

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
With my 15PM I started with 95% charge now 4 1/2 hrs later I am down to 56% battery life.
SOT 4 1/2 hrs so far today.

Hope this gets much better with the next versions of iOS 18!

This is ridiculous low battery life for a freaking 15 PM.

How’s yours @James6s ?

It’s not been too bad! Ending the day with around 30%+ with 6-7 screen on time. Charging once per day.

Like you said it’s not great for a Pro Max device but far from terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Carlsberg69

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
It’s not been too bad! Ending the day with around 30%+ with 6-7 screen on time. Charging once per day.

Like you said it’s not great for a Pro Max device but far from terrible
Yesterday mine was ok too.
Still not that what I expect to see on a Pro Max device though…

Attachments

• IMG_0361.png
    IMG_0361.png
    329.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0362.png
    IMG_0362.png
    342.1 KB · Views: 35

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
It’s enough if I get through the day with my 16PM and I always do.

I take it off from the charger at 5:30am and have left around 30% at the end of the day (10pm). I use it for CarPlay, taking some pics, messaging, browsing Reddit and some other websites with Safari.

It won’t be a big difference if it lasts one hour longer for me. The next big jump that would have an actual impact would be a battery lasting for two days. Everything in between is just nice to have because I do have a lot opportunities to charge my battery during the day.

T1aaj

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2024
Yes I own the 16 pro and battery life goes down to almost 60% from 100% halfway through the day, through no heavy use. Definitely needs to be fixed, should’ve kept my 15 pro! 😒

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I saw it explained somewhere that fully charged it can be like 103% and takes a little while for it to drop under 100% again. Is this correct, can anyone confirm?

The battery can’t be charged to 103% as that’s not physically possible. iOS may need to recalibrate the battery readings.

In the past I’ve drained the battery down to 1% and it sat there for a good 15 minutes while gaming which meant the battery wasn’t really at 1% despite iOS saying it was.

In reality without measuring the time between taking the phone off the charger and when the phone shuts off because of low charge, it’s not really possible to say how good battery life is.

Carlsberg69

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2023
The battery can’t be charged to 103% as that’s not physically possible. iOS may need to recalibrate the battery readings.

In the past I’ve drained the battery down to 1% and it sat there for a good 15 minutes while gaming which meant the battery wasn’t really at 1% despite iOS saying it was.

In reality without measuring the time between taking the phone off the charger and when the phone shuts off because of low charge, it’s not really possible to say how good battery life is.
Thanks, it’s definitely a mystery how Apple is measuring. And of course, the battery can not charge more then physically possible, I meant from standard Ah SoC theoretical reference. Maybe as you say, could just be latency by the system in some way.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
Thanks, it’s definitely a mystery how Apple is measuring. And of course, the battery can not charge more then physically possible, I meant from standard Ah SoC theoretical reference. Maybe as you say, could just be latency by the system in some way.
There are batteries which has more mAh than others. They don't all have the same size due to tolerances.

Last edited:

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Still no improvement? I'm starting to wonder if you have a defective phone---bad CPU/GPU or something. Was it like this on 17.XX?
It’s okayish, get around 6-7hrs SOT at best’s.
Don’t know, but heat is way better and the drain is ok.
I will try the next iOS 18 updates and will see if it gets better on my 15 PM.

Seems like more than 7hrs SOT is not in reach with the 15 PM right now…

Reactions: mikelets456

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
Has everyone on this thread reported "bad battery life" in their feedback form?

I included it on Beta 4 and 5...
"Bad" doesn't really give them anything to look at. It's just venting frustration. Give them some detailed feedback about what causes it to drain quickly or heat up, what you think the causes might be, etc. I have reported that the Home and Lock screens use an unusually high amount of the battery resources when ProMotion is enabled, most likely because the refresh rate is not going down low enough on static screens. Not sure if that is the only thing causing the battery to drain quicker than expected, but it is one thing that they can now focus in on fixing.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
"Bad" doesn't really give them anything to look at. It's just venting frustration. Give them some detailed feedback about what causes it to drain quickly or heat up, what you think the causes might be, etc. I have reported that the Home and Lock screens use an unusually high amount of the battery resources when ProMotion is enabled, most likely because the refresh rate is not going down low enough on static screens. Not sure if that is the only thing causing the battery to drain quicker than expected, but it is one thing that they can now focus in on fixing.
Which of course I did...along with screen shots, details, etc.

Pre86

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
I have Home and Lock Screen drain on both my iPad and iPhone. The iPad doesn’t have AOD and I turned off most widgets a few days ago. My iPhone is face down or in my pocket 95% of the time, but Home and Lock Screen has been the biggest drain since I got the new 16 pro. So I don’t think AOD is the culprit.

Pretty frustrating that battery is mediocre.
It is the same for me and I've tried everything including a full reset. I have put my phone in airplane mode, removed AirTags, never had AOD on etc. but every night Home & Lock Screen it burns through 15-20% of my battery and contribute to overall terrible battery life in general. I'm on 18.0 on an iPhone 14 pro with a battery I replaced in April.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.PNG
    IMG_0128.PNG
    271.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Wow
Reactions: Carlsberg69

jazzzyJeff

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2024
It is the same for me and I've tried everything including a full reset. I have put my phone in airplane mode, removed AirTags, never had AOD on etc. but every night Home & Lock Screen it burns through 15-20% of my battery and contribute to overall terrible battery life in general. I'm on 18.0 on an iPhone 14 pro with a battery I replaced in April.
I’d experienced the same on my 13P. But it only happens occasionally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.